U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,881,235 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1970's I was obsessed with 'Sweet Savage Love' by Rosemary Rogers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,190,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Has anyone mentioned 'The Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon???
Soooo romantic!
Yes, in my OP! Great! Actually, DH and I listened to it on a long trip. It was really, um...inspiring!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM

64,784 posts, read 61,084,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
These are among my favorite books:

"Gone With the Wind"
"The Far Pavillions"
"Outlander" (plus the rest)
"The Thorn Birds"
"The Bronze Horseman"
"Forever Amber"

I find these books to be all-engrossing; they really pulled me into their worlds and transported me.

Based on these books, can you make recommendations for other books in a similar vein (grand, sweeping, historical romance--very well written!)?
Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman

Old 10-06-2011, 11:17 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,881,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes, in my OP! Great! Actually, DH and I listened to it on a long trip. It was really, um...inspiring!
I can imagine! Who narrates it?

I would love to see this one made into a movie and have often pondered who'd fit the main characters. This would truly be an epic romance.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,190,290 times
Quote:
I can imagine! Who narrates it?

I would love to see this one made into a movie and have often pondered who'd fit the main characters. This would truly be an epic romance.
I think it is Davina Porter.

She is outstanding.

There has been talk of a movie/mini-series for years. I wonder why it has not come to pass?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:12 PM

5,929 posts, read 9,031,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.
Amazing book! (just gave you a rep point) but i dont think is very romantic, maybe the OP will except something else and will found this deep, kind of terrible story.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:40 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,458,754 times
Quote:
Back in the 1970's I was obsessed with 'Sweet Savage Love' by Rosemary Rogers.
Thanks for reminding me of my teenage angst.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:19 PM

995 posts, read 960,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Thanks for reminding me of my teenage angst.
Sweet Savage Love...Lord...I was visiting my mother and she was all "omg! you have to read this!"
I do not know how she got through it. We're talking about a woman whose favorite movies were Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.

SSL was among the first of the romance genre's original supertitles, and made it's debut before book stores even had romance sections.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,113,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
This series is my favorite series to read and read again. I probably have read them 20 times. I love the characters and enjoy spending time with them.
My number one favorite book of all time is The Proud Breed by Celeste de Blasis. I read this book at least once a year.

I have most of K Woodiwiss's books. I like some a lot more than others. I love books that take place during the Civil War years, so obviously those would be my favorite. I read Shanna when I was a teen. Enjoyed it so much I bought it and all the rest in hardback.

Reading through this thread has been enlightening.
There are so many books I have NEVER read listed here. Someday I may get around to reading some of them.
Right now I am reading old favorites from my own library - the Kent family chronicles by John Jakes.
(Pssst. I'm over 50 and I HAVE read Harry Potter. I need to read the last one, but, of course, have to read the series in order before that.)
This is amazing! I thought I would be the only one to recommend that book.

When I saw this thread, I thought of that book, but could not remember the title. I read that book as a teenager. So I typed "book romance california violet eyes" into Google and result #5 (below a result about Elizabeth Taylor) was an interview with author Elizabeth Isaacs who mentions this book as one of her favorites. I went to Amazon and looked it up. (There are a few very expensive copies of it nowadays!)

To the OP, I would recommend this highly. Your local library may have it. (I checked the catalog webpage for mine and it does.) Here is a link with several reviews of it on Amazon:

Amazon.com: The Proud Breed (9780698108707): Celeste De Blasis: Books

Old 10-13-2011, 04:34 PM

995 posts, read 960,649 times
OK, now you've all done it.
I have to reread all of the deBlasis books now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or