U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:36 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,190,290 times

Advertisements

These are among my favorite books:

"Gone With the Wind"
"The Far Pavillions"
"Outlander" (plus the rest)
"The Thorn Birds"
"The Bronze Horseman"
"Forever Amber"

I find these books to be all-engrossing; they really pulled me into their worlds and transported me.

Based on these books, can you make recommendations for other books in a similar vein (grand, sweeping, historical romance--very well written!)?

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 08-06-2011 at 07:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 PM

995 posts, read 960,649 times
Every book you mentioned is on my shelves. I tend to love sweeping grand family story lines, sooo...if you can find them:

Wild Swan by Celeste de Blasis (first of a trilogy, Swan's Chance, and A Season of Swans)

God Is an Englishman by R.F. Delderfield (followed by Theirs was the Kingdom)

Valley of Decision by Marcia Davenport

Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman (not so long, but oh-so-sweet)

I'll look around more tomorrow, I know I have some that are slipping my mind. These are older books that were on my mother's shelves when I was a teen, but I believe they're still available on Amazon. Check them out. Definitely worth it.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,769,656 times
While I wouldn't classify it as conventionally "epic romance", nor in the same vein as Gone With the Wind, it was epic for me: Arcadia, by Tom Stoppard. It's a play, it's intellectually engrossing, beautiful and ... romantically epic.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks! I will look those up!

The only one of those I've read is "Mrs. Mike"; I read it some time ago and enjoyed it although it's not one of my top-10

I just ordered "Olivia and Jai".
I keep meaning to read "Katharine" but haven't gotten to it.

Am going to start listening to "Game of Thrones" though obviously it's not a romance. It is epic, though!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:42 PM

995 posts, read 960,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I keep meaning to read "Katharine" but haven't gotten to it.

Am going to start listening to "Game of Thrones" though obviously it's not a romance. It is epic, though!
...Katharine! It's been so long since I've read this, and I don't have a copy of it any longer. Must find. Thanks lol.
Game of Thrones is enthralling. Read it years ago when it first came out in paperback. Martin is an extremely erratic writer tho...expect new releases when you actually see them in the stores.
If you like fantasy, I have a slew of authors and titles I can recommend there also.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
. Martin is an extremely erratic writer tho...expect new releases when you actually see them in the stores.
If you like fantasy, I have a slew of authors and titles I can recommend there also.
That's the benefit of starting the series late in the game. I don't have to wait for the next installment.

Never considered myself a big fantasy fan, except for "Harry Potter". I did love Orson Scott Card's "Enchantment" though. I listened to it and the narrator was outstanding.

I hear "Name of the Wind" is good too.

Go ahead and suggest away!

Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 PM

22,631 posts, read 13,080,879 times
One of the greatest GAY romance novels of all times is Maurice by E. M. Forster. It was made into a beautiful movie by Merchant & Ivory, who were famous for their movie adaptions of great novels.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:02 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,876,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I did love Orson Scott Card's "Enchantment" though. I listened to it and the narrator was outstanding.
Oh, so did I! Stefan Rudnicki became one of the favorite narrators after that book.

Although it is not a romance, there is romance in it - Lonesome Dove reminds me of The Thorn Birds type of story, it's a great book. Also, you might enjoy the Clan of the Cave Bears books, romance in the Stone Age.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:19 PM

C2C, have you read any other of Orson Scott Card's books?

"Clan of the Cave Bears"...hmm, my sister has been after me to read that one. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,876,427 times
You're welcome.

Yes, I've read Ender's Game, liked it a lot, and the first two books of the Tales of Alvin Maker series, Seventh Son and Red Prophet, liked them both, and I'm just now wondering why I didn't continue, don't recall. Guess I'll have to revisit Mr. Card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or