U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 PM

6,938 posts, read 9,655,304 times

Advertisements

Here's a good video on using your cell phone to help with deciding on which books to buy. He mentions looking out for expensive books. To those of you who sell books on ebay and also prefer to lookout for expensive books what is your starting point for expensive books?

How to Sell and Buy Books Online - Secret #1 - YouTube
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 07:00 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,085,448 times
Good video. Using your phone in the field is iffy, though, if you are in a rural area or if you have to depend on a hotspot. A smartphone with 3G or 4G is optimal. I'm assuming he looked up those ISBN's at the purchase point before he bought them, so he would have had to have internet access on his cellphone.

Textbooks are hot right now, colleges starting up and all. I sell my kid's and their friends' textbooks (from last year) on Amazon and give them the profit. They get a better price from me selling them, than they do by trading them back to the bookstore for credit.

But I'm rambling To answer your question, my starting point for expensive books to list on eBay is is a value of at least $50. That is considering the free shipping ($3 - $5) and the 15% in eBay/PayPal fees. If it sells at $50 I will clear a little under $40. There are exceptions of course, but $50 is a good ballpark.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
Good video. Using your phone in the field is iffy, though, if you are in a rural area or if you have to depend on a hotspot. A smartphone with 3G or 4G is optimal.
I just want to let people know that you don't need a fancy phone to do this. I've been playing around with looking up isbn numbers on amazon lately. I have a prepaid Verizon Samsung Smooth phone. It cost about $19. So far I've only had a few connection problems when trying to look up items on ebay's completed auction section but that may have been because of my locations.

One other thing to anyone.

Does anyone know how to tell if a book is out of print? Is there a directory of some sort out there with that information? Can you get this info from Amazon? I know the guy in the video wants people to focus on expensive books but if a cheap book is out of print that could increase its value since that book would be rarer.

Last edited by Motion; 08-14-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,086,371 times
I use to sell books on Ebay, about 100-150 a month. I started my books at a .01. Actually, I start every single auction I ever start on Ebay at a .01. It gives you lower fees and gets more people interested in your product because they are looking for a deal.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM

I don't have the nerve to start a book auction at .01 in today's eBay (unless, of course, I had a stockpile of Harry Potter, or the Hunger Games or the Song Of Fire and Ice series!). There's a very good chance that it would end at .01

RjRobb2 (if you don't mind my asking) do you still run 1c auctions? Or was that in the Meg years?

Motion, I went searching for a database of OOP books, after you posted the question, but was unable to find one. That information would certainly be helpful when scouting!

Last edited by NMNan; 08-17-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Using your phone in the field is iffy, though, if you are in a rural area or if you have to depend on a hotspot.
I was at a used bookstore lastweekend and did have problems accessing Amazon's website from inside the building. I moved next to a window and got a better reception or signal then. I'am thinking that if I am in an area where the reception isn't good I could just take a picture of the isbn numbers with the phone's camera,write the numbers down,and then go to a better location to look up the books later.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,529,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I just want to let people know that you don't need a fancy phone to do this. I've been playing around with looking up isbn numbers on amazon lately. I have a prepaid Verizon Samsung Smooth phone. It cost about $19. So far I've only had a few connection problems when trying to look up items on ebay's completed auction section but that may have been because of my locations.

One other thing to anyone.

Does anyone know how to tell if a book is out of print? Is there a directory of some sort out there with that information? Can you get this info from Amazon? I know the guy in the video wants people to focus on expensive books but if a cheap book is out of print that could increase its value since that book would be rarer.
It's not as easy as it used to be. Sometimes you can look them up on Amazon or Strand. If the latest publication date is a few years ago, it's probably out of print but the publisher may retain rights to reprint. If it's for sale 'new' only by private sellers, it's probably out of print. If it's for sale only as a scanned ebook it's almost certainly out of print. Another way is to find out who the publisher was and contact them to see if they have plans to reprint it. Sometimes books go out of print and the rights revert to the writer, who will then sell whatever bound copes remain privately, and possibly convert to ebook format. I know of one who's done that.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:53 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,086,371 times
Quote:
I don't have the nerve to start a book auction at .01 in today's eBay (unless, of course, I had a stockpile of Harry Potter, or the Hunger Games or the Song Of Fire and Ice series!). There's a very good chance that it would end at .01

RjRobb2 (if you don't mind my asking) do you still run 1c auctions? Or was that in the Meg years?

Motion, I went searching for a database of OOP books, after you posted the question, but was unable to find one. That information would certainly be helpful when scouting!

I dont sell anymore or at least not as a small business. if I have something personal to sell or find some books at a garage sell for a quarter that I know could sell I might sell something. I always start my auctions at a dollar. However, the whole limiting the amount you are able to charge for shipping kind of damages that because I use to put a .50 to a dollar cushion in there to help with potential losses.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM

5,141 posts, read 10,554,346 times
These days there seems to be a real chance of a book ending on Ebay for 1 cent. By the time you pay for your paypal fees (Ebay now charges a fee on the shipping too!) and pay for packing supplies you would lose money. I guess if you sell large volumes it makes up for it, but not if you are a small time seller. I have had more luck selling used books on Amazon.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
...I have had more luck selling used books on Amazon.
Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books