Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 05:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Trust me, I don't care what a "celebrity" deems as a great book, but I went through this list, wondering if any hidden (from me) gem would pop up. And one did:

A Death in the Family by James Agee.

When I looked it up on -- and ordered it from -- Amazon, I couldn't believe that I'd never heard of it. It sounds incredible.

And TWO of the celebrities listed it as their favorite book. How could TWO of them steer me wrong? HAHAHA!

Really, though, it sounds like a great (and sad) story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 AM

Would have helped if I'd posted the link, right?

Search: Celebs' favorite books - Celebrities favorite books 2011 - 1 (http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Lifestyle/Celebrities-favorite-books-2011.aspx?cp-documentid=30399509&imageindex=1 - broken link)

Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
That does sound like a beautiful, yet tragic, book, Dawn. I just ordered it.

Another one popped into my mind. It's nonfiction. I read it years ago and it is wonderful. I always liked George McGovern and the story/struggle of his daughter, Terry, is heartbreaking and related with great love by her father.

Amazon.com: Terry : My Daughter's Life-and-Death Struggle with Alcoholism: George McGovern: Books

Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 AM

That one sounds good, too! I do, however, have a problem understanding books about alcohol and drug addiction. I don't drink at all (I never acquired a taste for it) and the thought of not having control of my mind due to drugs is not something that I can wrap my head around. Because of that, I just can't relate to those books, often enough. Sometimes I do, though, and I imagine that the father/daughter relationship will help pave the way (I'm such a Daddy's girl). I'll put that McGovern book on my list.

A Death in the Family that we both ordered (YAY!!!) was listed as autobiographical fiction. Whenever I see that term used, I know (or believe) that it's more autobiography than fiction, and typically like it more for that reason.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I'm afraid I will try and remain unaware of celebrities' tastes when it comes to books as it would possibly ruin my favourite literature if I knew some despised celebrity shared my tastes !! Should I find out that Paris Hilton loved "The Grapes of Wrath" or Britney Spears adored Oscar Wilde, I might never pick those books up ever again....

Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I'm afraid I will try and remain unaware of celebrities' tastes when it comes to books as it would possibly ruin my favourite literature if I knew some despised celebrity shared my tastes !! Should I find out that Paris Hilton loved "The Grapes of Wrath" or Britney Spears adored Oscar Wilde, I might never pick those books up ever again....
Oh, my dear Moosey, I think you're safe; there's absolutely no chance that this would happen. And, should they claim any of those as their favorites (favourites -- I'm Canadian, so I do that too!), we'd know that they're simply lying just to get your goat!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Trust me, I don't care what a "celebrity" deems as a great book, but I went through this list, wondering if any hidden (from me) gem would pop up. And one did:

A Death in the Family by James Agee.

When I looked it up on -- and ordered it from -- Amazon, I couldn't believe that I'd never heard of it. It sounds incredible.
Celebrities aside - which is certainly the best place to keep most of them, the Agee book is an American classic. Reading it should be a very satisfying and worthwhile experience.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Celebrities aside - which is certainly the best place to keep most of them, the Agee book is an American classic. Reading it should be a very satisfying and worthwhile experience.
LOL! Clever!

I'm so excited to have found this book. Have you read it?

I have a ton of books to read before this one, but I'm excited to just have it and know it's waiting for me.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
LOL---Paris Hilton choosing "The Grapes of Wrath" as a personal favorite.

If you mentioned that book to that twit she'd probably think it was a how-to guide for making your own wine.

I think Green Eggs & Ham would be more her style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books