U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 AM

19,011 posts, read 26,677,556 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've never read the book. I see it's got ravishing reviews.

Her analogy - I was born in the same town. I have a passion for tigers. I was educated in a French school prior to switching English. And I cherry pick attributes from every religion (though I don't agree with this part, as I'm catholic) And it better be a compliment

So it got me thinking - a story based on my hometown, that's bizarre, coz it's a remote little coastal town in the old country.

But I was wondering the verdict on C-Dscape about the book. Should I pick it up? I'm quite picky about what I read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 AM

17,336 posts, read 28,716,234 times
It's a fabulous book. You can get it for a couple of bucks, used, on Amazon. It's a quick read. You've got nothing to lose.

It was totally not my cup of tea -- or so I thought -- and that's why I was 10 years late to read it. But once I started it, the story sucked me in.

Get it. Read it. Enjoy it.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,737,706 times
Life of Pi is excellent. No question.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 AM

3,182 posts, read 6,822,486 times
You will love it. Or hate it. Almost everyone I know who has read Life of Pi ended with very strong feelings about it. Put me down in the "Love It" column!

After you finish it, come back here and we can talk about it!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:44 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,711,898 times
I am in the slim minority of those who do not like the book. That said, I think it is rather favorable to be compared to the protagonist!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,864,231 times
I have always been flattered by being compared with the protagonists of novel or film that I have been compared to. . .nevertheless, I realize that the complex charachters who I have been compared to also have "flaws", as do I.

So far as the life of Pi, the comparison is probably based on the things you list, another possibility is that she thinks you are delusional. . . . ..

Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM

6,044 posts, read 7,049,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I have always been flattered by being compared with the protagonists of novel or film that I have been compared to. . .nevertheless, I realize that the complex charachters who I have been compared to also have "flaws", as do I.

So far as the life of Pi, the comparison is probably based on the things you list, another possibility is that she thinks you are delusional. . . . ..
When my husband read The Colony of Unrequited Dreams (a fictionalized account of Joey Smallwood's life in Newfoundland) by Wayne Johnston, he kept making funny little "umph" noises. I had not read the book first but I certainly read it after he told me that the Sheilagh Fielding character reminded him strongly of me.

After reading it, I could see why he saw a resemblance. I don't suffer fools all that gladly either. Some might say I am head-strong. I remember she had some characteristics I don't associate with me at all . It's been quite a few years since I read it, but I do highly recommend the book for those who haven't read it.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,598,382 times
I kept hearing rave reviews about the book, and then about three years ago I'm sitting at a Barnes & Noble, in the cafe, having a coffee, and this dude walks by with an armload of copies of "Life of Pi" and he's saying to one of the clerks how he's gonna give all his friends a copy for Christmas.
So I think, 'that's it; this book must be awesome; I'm gonna read it."
I was somewhat disappointed; 90% of the book takes place as Pi Patel is floating around on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker, after having been shipwrecked on a "floating zoo" ship on which his parents and everyone else perished.
Waay too much detail in the book of Pi's day-to-day existence on the boat, wondering if R.P. is gonna eat him or not. I found myself skipping pages in order to get to the end, which I'd been told has such a twist that it makes the otherwise fairly tedious book worth reading.
But the payoff at the end was lackluster, to say the least. I won't do a plot spoiler here, but I will say that it reminded me of that long ago "Dallas" TV show episode that infuriated so many fans when it answered the question of who shot JR.

The DrummberBoy gives "Life of Pi" 2.5 drumsticks on a scale of 5. Go ahead and read it if you like, so as to satisfy your curiosity about your alleged namesake. But I would advise you against getting your hopes up that the book is some sort of life-changing modern day parable like so many others seem to think.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM

19,011 posts, read 26,677,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post

If I have to assess, it has to be my passion for tigers

My passion for Hinduism and Vedic concepts, despite identifying myself as a staunch catholic. And spouting off some Sufi Islam concepts.

But Pondicherry does not have a zoo. Except that people had tigers as pets. My neighbour had one, and one of grandfathers had one before I was born.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:04 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,707,464 times
Reference to the original OP, it is not an insult to be told that you remind one of Pi.

Personally, I found that the first part of the book dragged quite a bit, so I jumped ahead and read the second part, and couldn't put it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or