Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about electronic media?
Great, wish they'd had this years ago 17 21.25%
Not great, worried about the future of books 37 46.25%
Neither, we'll always have both 26 32.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not worried about books disappearing during my lifetime. I still prefer a book to an ereader.
I've never had a paperback die on me while stuck in an airport. They're great for the environment, I guess, so I'm glad other people are using e-readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:56 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I'm a bit torn on the subject. On one hand, I like the efficiency of being able to have so many books taking up so little space. I'm a sucker for efficient use of small spaces, like some Japanese houses. But on the other hand, I just like holding a book and reading ink on paper more than looking at a screen.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:26 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm a bit torn on the subject. On one hand, I like the efficiency of being able to have so many books taking up so little space. I'm a sucker for efficient use of small spaces, like some Japanese houses. But on the other hand, I just like holding a book and reading ink on paper more than looking at a screen.
Have you ever looked at an e-ink device? A lot of people who object to a "screen" are thinking of a computer monitor or tablet screen, which has a bright backlight that causes eyestrain and eye fatigue in a lot of people. E-ink is much more like a printed page.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:26 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
I checked out some e-readers at BestBuy today. Most are about 6'' or the Kindle Fire 7'' screens, one thing I noticed is that even with the font just under half of the range you can put it at it seemed to me that there were so few words per "page" that I was constantly flipping to keep reading.

does anyone have this experience?

to me it was somewhat distracting/disjointed to keep having to flip after reading only a few paragraphs. the device flipped the page about the same speed it would take me to flip a page, it's just that I wasn't used to that.

I was looking at the Kindle Touch online but they didn't have that on demo.

I'd like them to come out with a Kindle that's larger, like the Ipad size, then you could have the same size font or larger without flipping so often. I'm sure it would cost more.

just my experience. Still not completely ruling one out....

Old 11-18-2011, 06:27 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I checked out some e-readers at BestBuy today. Most are about 6'' or the Kindle Fire 7'' screens, one thing I noticed is that even with the font just under half of the range you can put it at it seemed to me that there were so few words per "page" that I was constantly flipping to keep reading.

does anyone have this experience?
No idea how the demos are set up, but on the actual device, you can change the font size - there are 6 settings that go from about 6pt to about 22pt (I'm guessing at the actual point size). Changing the font size greatly changes the number of words per page. On later devices you can also change the font style.

There is a larger Kindle, the Kindle DX, which has a 9.7" screen (compared to the 6" screen the others have). While it's had price drops since the original DX came our, the price hasn't dropped, proportionately, nearly as much as the smaller Kindles. I've read that it's likely because the 6" e-ink screens are used in several e-readers and a number of other types of uses, while the 9.7" screen is only used in the relatively low-sales-volume Kindle DX and a Samsung product.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Have you ever looked at an e-ink device? A lot of people who object to a "screen" are thinking of a computer monitor or tablet screen, which has a bright backlight that causes eyestrain and eye fatigue in a lot of people. E-ink is much more like a printed page.
Actually a friend of mine has a reader that is much more like a printed page, but I forgot about those when I posted. I would definitely prefer those to a tablet, even if the tablet might be more versatile. I can come up with of several positives in favor of the e-reader, and I guess really the only negative for me would be the fact that it uses electricity (though I understand some go a loooong time on one charge). But for whatever reason, I think I just prefer a traditional book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books