Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times

Advertisements

Can't believe how tedious it is. I'm guessing it was a sensation when new because of all the sexual talk, but by modern standards (or my standards, anyway), what a bore. The writing is vivid and energetic, but apart from that, not much.

Also, weirdly, there's a character named Babaloo Mandel, and there really is a writer with that name, so I'm guessing that Roth had the poor judgment to use the guy's real name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 12:35 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Can't believe how tedious it is. I'm guessing it was a sensation when new because of all the sexual talk, but by modern standards (or my standards, anyway), what a bore. The writing is vivid and energetic, but apart from that, not much...
I can remember reading it when it first came out....massively boring was my reaction. As for the sexual talk, I thought he suceeded in making it as interesting as a recipe for oatmeal gruel.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Also, weirdly, there's a character named Babaloo Mandel, and there really is a writer with that name, so I'm guessing that Roth had the poor judgment to use the guy's real name.
Actually, that's how Babaloo Mandel got his nickname. His name is Marc Mandel but his writing partner, Lowell Ganz, started calling him "Babaloo" because of the character in Portnoy's Complaint.

Funny, huh? It's like a "what came first? the chicken or the egg" thing.

PS. The only book by Philip Roth that I was able to finish was Patrimony, a true story about his father.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-21-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 05:08 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Actually, that's how Babaloo Mandel got his nickname. His name is Marc Mandel but his writing partner, Lowell Ganz, started calling him "Babaloo" because of the character in Portnoy's Complaint.

Funny, huh? It's like a "what came first? the chicken or the egg" thing.

PS. The only book by Philip Roth that I was able to finish was Patrimony, a true story about his father.

I'm kind of glad to hear that about Babaloo Mandel. I was horrified at the idea that maybe Roth was using the real name of a real person.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
I'm kind of glad to hear that about Babaloo Mandel. I was horrified at the idea that maybe Roth was using the real name of a real person.
Especially with such a distinct name. "No, no, Roth must've been making fun of the OTHER Babaloo Mandel!"

Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM

105 posts, read 188,189 times
I remember trying to read it many years ago. I wanted to kill myself and then, remembered I could simply take the book back to the Library.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:07 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.LouieGal View Post
I remember trying to read it many years ago. I wanted to kill myself and then, remembered I could simply take the book back to the Library.
LOL. I've tried to read a few books that left me feeling that way.

The only Roth book I read was Goodbye, Columbus. I liked the movie better. I did try to read I Married a Communist but it was so filled with hate that I couldn't stand it. I thought it would be good because it was his response to the autobiography Claire Bloom wrote in which she nuked him to morbid. Nah, the first chapter wore me down.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
I never read Portnoy, but I have read a couple other Roth books ("Indignation" most recently), and found them to be better than average among the well known writers of that period. Writers of that era wrote a great deal more deliberately than they do now, with less intensity to keep the plot boiling.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:06 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Personally I think Roth is over-rated.

Certainly not a bad writer, or a mediocre one ... but ...

... not in the same league as Saul Bellow, Bernard Malamud, Kurt Vonnegut, Truman Capote, Joyce Carol Oates, E. L. Doctorow, or Edmund White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books