Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:51 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DondeDemonios View Post
The Dark Tower series is my favorite- Wizard and Glass is my favorite of the series- i think it's astounding.

Second would go to Eyes of the Dragon

another I enjoyed a lot that i didn't see mentioned was The Talisman
I just can not get into The Dark Tower series. I don't know why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 02:58 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm re-reading IT now. Good story, but man did it need an editor. A fierce editor with a mighty red pen. The characters are great, but did we really need an entire page describing the contents of a character's medicine cabinet? And I'm not talking about a paperback pages. I'm reading this in hardcover with single-spaced, fairly small font. And it's an entire page of medicinal descriptions.

Definitely a good book, but IT could have easily been half as long --- and probably been a better story for it.
Spoiler
Honestly? IMO, yes, we did need a whole page dedicated to Eddie Kaspbrak's medicine cabinet. That whole list of medicines, filling line after line after line after line, gave a view into the mind of Kaspbrak. How he felt he needed medicine for every.single.possible.condition known to man. The description showed just how much Eddie's mother screwed him up AND, in a twisted way, the cabinet was his sanctuary.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:22 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My favorite was Pet Semetary.
I can't say it was my favorite of King's books, but as a young father, it definitely creeped me out much more than anything he has written so far. It really disturbed me, I think, because I probably would have done the same things that the book described so vividly.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,301 times
I haven't waded through all 10 pages but was Delores Claiborne mentioned? And let's not forget Misery. These two if you're not a horror fan, but just like a good read.

Hearts In Atlantis is related to the Tower series in a round about way. Once you read the Tower, you will recognize the people and the plot in Hearts.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,354 times
Misery

Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Jaunt has one of the greatest endings of ANY story. I also really enjoyed The Longest Walk.

But my favorite will always be IT. Never got the gangbang scene but I've loved that book for years.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Jaunt has one of the greatest endings of ANY story.
Oh, I so agree! Those last lines just stick in your mind, even many years after reading it.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I havn't read a book by him yet but plan on it. Can someone give me an idea of what might be life lessons in his books. Maybe he has insights into human nature or maybe his writings tell how things might be if there would be a breakdown of law and order in this country. Or maybe its just plain entertainment with the horror element being the point. Any opinions are appreciated.
King is a master of character development.

And the eeriest thing about his characters is how very normal they are and how easy it is for the reader to see (feel) their points of view. The reader gets sucked into their stories and when the crazy stuff starts happening to them - whoa! Boy do you feel it.

You know in your head that it's just a book, but that voice inside of your head says - "if it could happen to this character, it could also happen to me" - what a creepy feeling.

Want to know just how scared you would feel to have a vampire hovering right outside of your window? Read King!

My own favorite King stories are The Stand, The Shining, Misery, Salem's Lot.

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-18-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Oh, I so agree! Those last lines just stick in your mind, even many years after reading it.
You'd think the plane (or whatever it was) would have some better precautions.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Pet Semetary was the scariest book I ever read. Came out when I was in high school.
I still can't watch the movie when zelda comes on the screen.
I've read most of his books but like someone else said, i could never get into the dark tower series.
I liked misery, pet semetary, the long walk, thinner, the shining, needful things... too many to recall.

But surprisingly, I have to say that Duma Key was probably the best book i've EVER read. Just read it this past year. I'm not sure why but I just really connected with that book and the characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books