Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:11 PM

284 posts, read 498,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Dolores Claiborne is another great character study. Character development, IMO, is his forte. He fills them in completely. By the time I finish a King book I feel like I personally knew all the folks in the book.
I'll agree with this. One of the skills that Stephen King can lay claim to is the ability to get into the skin of his characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,204,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ha! I can't wait to show this to my friend who begged me to read Twilight. She insisted that because I really like the Harry Potter series that I would like Twilight.

I read the plot, read the reviews and got enough information to know that it was nothing more than a fluff piece for teenage girls to fantasize about. Never read it. Never will.

Rose Madder was another book that gave me a bit of an unexpected jolt while reading.

For those who have only seen the movies...they are NOTHING compared to the books. The only exception, I would say, is Misery. Damn that Kathy Bates rocked that movie. But usually after reading the book, I'll watch the movie and be disappointed. I understand the movie can only be so long...

I think I saw that Bag Of Bones is going to be on t.v. at some point? I don't remember the channel but I swear I saw a commercial...anyone know?
Yes, it's going to be a miniseries on the A&E network.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
For those who have only seen the movies...they are NOTHING compared to the books. The only exception, I would say, is Misery. Damn that Kathy Bates rocked that movie. But usually after reading the book, I'll watch the movie and be disappointed. I understand the movie can only be so long...
Usually I'm disappointed by movie versions of books too, but I have been pretty satisfied with many of the movies made from his books. I totally agree about "Misery," Kathy Bates was just phenomenal in that movie. I enjoyed all of these: "Shawshank Redemption," "Stand by Me," "Apt Pupil," "The Dead Zone," "Dolores Claiborne," "Secret Window" and "The Green Mile." I did not like "The Shining," (I know, I'm probably the only one) although I thought the remake for TV was pretty good. There are others I liked as well, but it's been so long since I read them that I don't recall how I felt about them as compared to the book/short story.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM

284 posts, read 498,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I did not like "The Shining," (I know, I'm probably the only one) although I thought the remake for TV was pretty good.
I didn't like The Shining either. You're not the only one. I didn't see the remake for TV...

Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 AM

22,855 posts, read 28,102,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes, it's going to be a miniseries on the A&E network.
//www.city-data.com/forum/tv/14...phen-king.html

Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM

229 posts, read 205,986 times
I loved Duma Key.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM

15,114 posts, read 27,599,211 times
I had forgotten that one - I liked that also.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 PM

207 posts, read 533,984 times
I am reading Bag of Bones. I am on the 3rd chapter. Has anybody read it? I think it's getting kind of slow. I hope it gets better

Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 PM

207 posts, read 533,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
King's also a decent critic:
LOL true

Old 10-29-2011, 07:03 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,563,615 times
I read The Stand when it first came out, between my junior and senior year in High School in the seventies. I raced home every day after my summer job, and from dates with my boyfriend, to get back to the story.

I could NOT put it down. I felt like I was actually IN the story. I've never forgotten it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books