Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times

Advertisements

I've never been able to read any of the classics. I just can't get into the antiquated language and the slow pace of the story.

However, now that I've read a book on my Kindle, and found that I actually enjoyed it (who knew???), I downloaded a bunch of free classics. What I'd been meaning to do is read my paper books while waiting for some Kindle library books to become available, and I'll still do that, but I thought I'd download some classics and give it another try should I have nothing to read (which would be when? I don't know).

Anyway, can any of you tell me which one of these you think is the easiest to read? By "easiest," I mean the one that has the least old-style language and a faster-paced story than most. I don't want to choose incorrectly and then decide that NONE of the classics are for me.
  • Jane Eyre
  • Wuthering Heights
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • The Woman in White
  • Little Women
  • Middlemarch
  • Anna Karenina
  • Pride and Prejudice
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've never been able to read any of the classics. I just can't get into the antiquated language and the slow pace of the story.

However, now that I've read a book on my Kindle, and found that I actually enjoyed it (who knew???), I downloaded a bunch of free classics. What I'd been meaning to do is read my paper books while waiting for some Kindle library books to become available, and I'll still do that, but I thought I'd download some classics and give it another try should I have nothing to read (which would be when? I don't know).

Anyway, can any of you tell me which one of these you think is the easiest to read? By "easiest," I mean the one that has the least old-style language and a faster-paced story than most. I don't want to choose incorrectly and then decide that NONE of the classics are for me.
  • Jane Eyre
  • Wuthering Heights
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • The Woman in White
  • Little Women
  • Middlemarch
  • Anna Karenina
  • Pride and Prejudice
Thanks!
I'd vote first for The Woman in White or Pride and Prejudice or Little Women. Middlemarch is also brilliant and easy to read. I didn't care for Jane Eyre, but I'm in the minority in my reading circles. I do not like The Scarlet Letter, and I haven't yet read Wuthering Heights or Anna Karenina. Horrible, I know.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I'd vote first for The Woman in White or Pride and Prejudice or Little Women. Middlemarch is also brilliant and easy to read. I didn't care for Jane Eyre, but I'm in the minority in my reading circles. I do not like The Scarlet Letter, and I haven't yet read Wuthering Heights or Anna Karenina. Horrible, I know.
Horrible? You've read five of them. I've read zero. So that makes you AWESOME, not horrible.

Thanks for your rundown. Much appreciated.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Loved Pride and Prejudice as well as Jane Eyre. Enjoyed Little Women also...I didn't much care for Wuthering Heights but it was a long time ago so should probably re-read. Have tried Anna Karenina numerous times to no avail....but fully intend to pick it up again one day. Have never picked up Middlemarch or The Woman in White.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I'd say from that list, the easiest would be Little Women, followed by the Scarlet Letter (maybe because they're both American authors?) I do love P&P, Jane Eyre, and Middlemarch, but they tend to be a little denser. Wuthering Heights is not a favorite, and I haven't read Woman in White or Anna Karenina.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Wow - I forgot to include The Scarlet Letter - I really had a hard time drudging through that....

Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
Of the ones you listed and the parameters you gave, I'd start with Little Women. The characters are relatively simple and approachable. There's plenty of action to keep things moving but it's not complex. My second choice from your list would be The Scarlet Letter - it's a quick, easy read but less engaging.

Ummm...just realized something - I'd probably work by author country of origin...start with the Americans, move to the Brits, and tackle the Russians last.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 PM

OK, so maybe it wasn't the wisest question because everyone has a different opinion, and now I'm even more confused about where to start! LOL! Good thing that I have a huge pile of other, non-classic, books to read!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Aaaand, I just discovered that I have another classic -- in my night table drawer, not on my Kindle.

House of Mirth (Edith Wharton)

Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
With House of Mirth I'd still follow my closest to farthest from home formula...Probably still start with Little Women but House of Mirth would bump down The Scarlet Letter for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books