Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:01 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times

Advertisements

Edith Wharton - not a cheerful person, that's for sure. Speaking of depressing authors, the Russian greats are great, but boy can they put an end to your good mood fast.

I'd say Jane Eyre and then Wuthering Heights for language accessibility -

P&P is one of my favorites though. I love Austen. They translate so beautifully to film/audio books that I must admit I prefer to get my Jane fix that way.

I tried to read The Woman in White and I got bored. I'll try again sometime.

I do like Louisa May Alcott, but she is so heavily moralistic in tone that I don't know I'd put her too high on the readability index based on what you've said so far, Dawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I definitely agree that usually the books are better than the movie, but with some of these classics, there are movies and miniseries that are just wonderful. Pride and Prejudice and Middlemarch were done back in the 90s as joint ventures with BBC and A&E. There are several versions of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights that are very good. And sometimes, it helps that you already know the story a bit when you try to tackle the book.

Totally agree!

Dawn, you might want to relax your rule a little when it comes to these classics. It's not either/or with the movie and the book, but they sort of complement each other and add to your experience and understanding.

The BBC Pride & Prejudice miniseries with Colin Firth--I can watch that at least 2-3 times a year! I just saw the newest movie version of Jane Eyre, and after seeing the old black & white version and reading the book, I still enjoyed the new movie, and even appreciated the memory of the older movie and the book even more.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'd start with Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility. Although the times are different, the human behavior is the same, which I think makes it fun. Also, the stories move fairly rapidly.

Having said that, I also really like The Count of Monte Cristo, but it's very long. And one of my favorite books ever was The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but it's very dense. There was a whole chapter on French cathedral architecture that I pretty much skipped, but the story resonates today just as much as I imagine it did when it was written. But I probably wouldn't start with that one.

As someone else said, on your Kindle with the built-in dictionary it's easy to keep up with what's going on. I read Jane Eyre on my husband's Kindle recently and was surprised that all of the old words were in there.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Having said that, I also really like The Count of Monte Cristo, but it's very long. And one of my favorite books ever was The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but it's very dense. There was a whole chapter on French cathedral architecture that I pretty much skipped, but the story resonates today just as much as I imagine it did when it was written. But I probably wouldn't start with that one.
I really enjoyed both of these. I also really liked Vanity Fair, but it's kind of a brick.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Aaaand, I just discovered that I have another classic -- in my night table drawer, not on my Kindle.

House of Mirth (Edith Wharton)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
With House of Mirth I'd still follow my closest to farthest from home formula...Probably still start with Little Women but House of Mirth would bump down The Scarlet Letter for me.
I love Edith Wharton, and House of Mirth is one of my all time favorites. The character Lily Bart is unforgettable and a really tragic heroine.

If you want to call it a classic "Gone With With Wind" is one of the most readable books - hard to put down.

"Moby Dick" is a great book ... one I highly recommend.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
All great advice!

I would say that Little Women is definitely the easiest on the list, but not necessarily the most enjoyable.

PandP is a great read and if you make it through, I would suggest carrying on with a few of Austen's others such as Sense and Sensibility. Once you are in the groove of the writing style and language, they all become much more digestible.

Another suggestion is to channel your inner high school student and get Spark Notes or Cliff Notes to accompany (not replace as I remind my daughter!!!) your reading.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Wilkie Collins stories also don't drag on or get boring. He orginally wrote all his novels in serial form, so people would get to read a chapter each week in one of Charles Dickens' magazines. So the stories move along pretty quickly, as he had to keep people interested week after week after week.

He was also quite a whack-job (that's an old victorian term ). He was a heavy-duty drug addict but immensely intelligent and talented (think Robert Downey Jr.) who had two separate families with women he lived with but didn't marry.
I love Robert Downey, Jr!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I do like Louisa May Alcott, but she is so heavily moralistic in tone that I don't know I'd put her too high on the readability index based on what you've said so far, Dawn.
Are you saying that I'm immoral????

(I know, I know... based on my OP.)

Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks, everyone. You've given me some food for thought here, in terms of where to start and also about the film as a complement, rather than a replacement.

In the meantime, I'm going to also download Sense and Sensibility. Might as well add to the growing list...

Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I love Edith Wharton, and House of Mirth is one of my all time favorites. The character Lily Bart is unforgettable and a really tragic heroine.

If you want to call it a classic "Gone With With Wind" is one of the most readable books - hard to put down.

"Moby Dick" is a great book ... one I highly recommend.
I read Gone With the Wind many moons ago. I enjoyed it a lot, if I recall.

As for House of Mirth, I've always wanted to read it and then, recently, it was mentioned in one of the (new) books that I was reading -- I don't remember which -- and my desire to read it was re-awakened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books