Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times

Advertisements

For probably the last 2 or 3 years, almost every book I've read is because I really enjoyed the movie or the tv series. I find it frustrating to plow through a book which I think will be interesting and turns out to be a dud. I've read the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series, the Percy Jackson series, Game of Thrones series, The Walking Dead comic series, The Ruins, and a few others that escape me.

I can't be the only one who does this. What have you watched that you had to read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Middlemarch by George Eliot
The North and South Series by John Jakes
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

On my to-read list because of movies:
Horatio Hornblower by by C. S. Forester
Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
All the Elizabeth Gaskell books

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I can't be the only one who does this. What have you watched that you had to read?
The Walking Dead. Love the TV series. Love the comics.

I tried reading the Sookie Stackhouse books. I made it about 3/4 of the way through the first book before I gave up. Just couldn't get into it. The TV show is ok. I liked the first season quite a lot more than the last few.

I read some of Robert Parker's Jesse Stone books, because I liked the TV movies. The early books were good. After that ... not so much. Seemed to me like Parker just started writing outlines for the next TV movie.

I first read DUNE in junior high because I heard about the movie. I ended up loving the book and hating the movie.

I saw Lonesome Dove before I read the book. I loved both.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Sorry, but I find that rather depressing. I think I've only once read a book due to a movie - and it was Henry James!

Maybe you should try another avenue for choosing? Traditionally, good books suppsedly don't make good movies.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sorry, but I find that rather depressing.
I don't understand that. You'd rather a person not a read after watching a movie?

My story:
I was young and thought James Fenimore Cooper wrote gory crap for boys. After I saw The Last of the Mohicans, I checked out the book and subsequently read the majority of his works.

I had never heard of Bleak House when I found it in the library dvd section, and I absolutely loved it so I read it and loved the book. Same for Middlemarch. In fact, that turned me on to George Eliot. My only previous experience with her was Silas Marner, which is absolutely not my favorite.

I was 6 years old when the North and South series came out and 10 years old when the Lonesome Dove series was made. I read the books later on because I remembered and loved the movies. I have read the majority of the works of both John Jakes and Larry McMurtry at this point. All because of a couple of movies.

I had never heard of Horatio Hornblower before seeing the films, nor had a heard of Elizabeth Gaskell. Maybe I live under a rock. I'm sure glad I found the movies because I don't know that I ever would have found the books on my own.

I don't understand your position.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 AM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
...I had never heard of Horatio Hornblower before seeing the films...
If you like Hornblower, you'd definitely like the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Sean Bean starred as Sharpe in the tv series.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
If you like Hornblower, you'd definitely like the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Sean Bean starred as Sharpe in the tv series.
I love the Sharpe books. Couldn't stand the TV series.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sorry, but I find that rather depressing.
Why? Books are no more (or less) inherently valid as a storytelling form than novels. A good movie is better art than a bad book. I'd much rather spend my time watching a Martin Scorsese movie than reading a James Patterson novel.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Boardwalk Empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books