Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

Do you know of any books that are a compilation of short stories that are interwoven? Perhaps the same character is in all the stories or something like that?

Each story stands by itself on its own merit but, when combined, they tell a tale of "the bigger picture."

I'm thinking along the lines of Olive Kitteridge (labeled as 13 linked tales).

If you know of any like this, could you please let me know their titles?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Default Last Exit To Brooklyn

One book that came to my mind is Hubert Selby's Last Exit To Brooklyn. It is a collection of short stories about different characters who frequent an all night diner in a very rough blue collar neighborhood in Brooklyn (perhaps Red Hook?) in the years just after World War 2.

Last Exit is in my opinion a terrific book - really superb writing ... riveting, fascinating ... but it is a very disturbingly brutal and graphic book about petty criminals, drugs, prostitutes, drag queens, etc. Not for the squeamish! This book opens the gates of hell and exposes the ugly side of human nature and those living as "underprivileged" members of society.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Yes, Melissa Bank's two books, I believe, The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing and The Wonder Spot.

Melissa Bank

Also Winesburg, Ohio, by Sherwood Anderson.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Alice Munroe has interlinked short stories. There are quite a few others but she is the one who comes to mind now.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 AM

Thanks, guys! Keep 'em coming, folks.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Do you know of any books that are a compilation of short stories that are interwoven? Perhaps the same character is in all the stories or something like that?...
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One book that came to my mind is Hubert Selby's Last Exit To Brooklyn. It is a collection of short stories about different characters who frequent an all night diner in a very rough blue collar neighborhood in Brooklyn (perhaps Red Hook?) in the years just after World War 2.

Last Exit is in my opinion a terrific book - really superb writing ... riveting, fascinating ... but it is a very disturbingly brutal and graphic book about petty criminals, drugs, prostitutes, drag queens, etc. Not for the squeamish! This book opens the gates of hell and exposes the ugly side of human nature and those living as "underprivileged" members of society.
I just ordered a used copy on Amazon. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes, Melissa Bank's two books, I believe, The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing and The Wonder Spot.

Melissa Bank

Also Winesburg, Ohio, by Sherwood Anderson.
I read those Melissa Banks books. I remember liking the first and not carign for the latter.

I just downloaded Winesburg, Ohio onto my Kindle. It was free. It was listed as a classic. Maybe THIS will be the classic that I like?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Alice Munroe has interlinked short stories. There are quite a few others but she is the one who comes to mind now.
I just found one of her books of short stories at Goodwill today. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.
Two recommendations for this one?! Good that I just got it. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. It's a collection of short stories about the Vietnam War and Vietnam vets, and to make things more interesting, there's a character named Tim O'Brien, but the stories aren't directly autobiographical.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Lots of sci/fi. Some of the best known authors have fan clubs that encourage fans to submit short stories for anthologies. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, and Mercedes Lackey (who started doing shorts for MZB's anthologies) come to mind.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:26 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
I've had time to think of some more short story writers - they are mostly (all?) Canadian, with good reputations in the CanLit scene here but maybe unknown in the US. I had to go to Amazon.ca for links to their books.

One is Lois Braun. She started off with The Stone Watermelon, which was nominated for the GG award in 1986. Her latest book is the Penance Drummer.

Sandra Birdsell also started off with short stories, but her most recent books have been novels. She has a chatty, down-to-earth style and I seem to remember you like chatty books. She has also been nominated/won quite a few awards here. Her Agassiz Stories is one of her earlier books, and highly praised.

My personal favourite short story writer (and I don't seek out short stories - I like novels) is Diane Schoemperlen. She actually writes novels too, but her style of writing is fractured in a certain way, as to form interlinked thoughts, and is not in traditional story-telling novel forms. I had to laugh when I first read one of her books, because she writes the way I think, but which I could never admit to in most circles.

She may not be for everyone because of her non-traditional way of writing, and her quirky way of seeing the world. I haven't read the book in the above link yet, but I think the description of the book on Amazon best sums up her quirkiness. Forms of Devotion is a specifically, linked short story collection. I don't remember the others with as much clarity, only that I just love her writing.

Then there's Annie Proulx's Wyoming Stories.One of her more famous short stories was Brokeback Mountain.

Nancy Culpepper by Bobbie Ann Mason sounds very interesting but I haven't read it yet.

There's another writer who is haunting the back of my mind, but I just can't think of the name right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books