U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM

17,335 posts, read 28,358,227 times

Advertisements

Tracy, I have the basic Kindle. I bought it for $99 about six months ago. It has the ads, but they do NOT show while you're reading. Absolutely not.

Because my house is all geeked-out and wireless, I don't have to plug the Kindle into my laptop to download a book. The Kindle detects my wireless Internet access and I just do it all from the Kindle.

You *can* browse the Interwebz (including Facebook!) and access email, but (a) the keypad is cumbersome, in my opinion, and (b) I have a laptop -- I don't need to do that stuff on my reading thing.

I've only used it a few times, to read books that I downloaded from the library, but I'm hoping that there's soon a bigger selection to choose from because, as a major "oh no! I will NEVER use an e-reader" person, I kinda liked it. A lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,874,412 times
Thanks Dawn. I can't believe I'm actually considering an e-reader, but I do like the portability, since I tend to read like 3-4 books at any given time, and I don't really want to carry 3 physical books out to lunch, or to the bathtub. (Oh! that reminds me--I need to find out which are bathtub-friendly, in case I have damp/wet hands when reading in the tub. least I won't have crinkly pages.) I also like to make notes and mark pages, and I understand I'll be able to do that. I'm also such a geek that whenever I read a book, I have to suddenly go online and look up a map of the region in the book, or do a Wikipedia search on some historical event.

We don't have wi-fi or anything like that in the house. I'm reading now that some Kindles have 3G, like my phone, so I guess I could buy/download books from Amazon and not be plugged in. Still, the plugging into the home computer isn't a huge deal to me.

Glad the ads are not within the e-books; thanks.

I'm now leaning toward the Kindle Keyboard 3G. I read several complaints about the screen on the Kindle Touch being too "touchy" (you accidently brush your finger against the page and unintentionally command it to do something) or getting that screen-lag-phenomenon that I get on my Droid (You touch something and there's a delay before it responds, or it doesn't quite "feel" your touch commands, even when the screen is perfectly clean). I'll stick to the keyboard. The Kindle touch is 8.5 ounces vs the keyboard which is 8.7 ounces, so no big difference in weight.

I'm still wondering why people need 2 months of battery life

Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 AM

9,301 posts, read 14,527,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This is how I'm picturing it works; please correct where I'm wrong.
I would plug my e-reader into my computer, maybe a USB port, and download books from the internet. The books would be stored on the reader. Then I would carry the e-reader around freely and read, with the only limiting factor being the power supply. Is the 3G/wi-fi capability only needed if you want to download a book when not plugged into your computer? Like if I'm in a park and suddenly want to read Ivanhoe? I'm really not that impulsive, and I think I'm fine with doing my downloading from my home computer. But is that antiquated thinking?
This is possible but it's fairly inconvenient. It also means certain features won't be available to you and I don't just mean internet browsing and email (because I don't use my Kindle for any of that either). It would also mean you can't use any of the book syncing features such as being able to access any annotations at kindle.amazon.com or having the furthest read page of the book you're reading synced across any other devices you might be using like a smartphone or tablet. It may also mean the x-ray feature wouldn't work.

Personally, it would be super inconvenient for me because I like to download samples for later reading... if I want to buy the book after reading the sample, I just hit "buy now" in the menu or at the end of the sample. Without at least wi-fi, I wouldn't be able to do so, I'd have to go back to my computer yet again to buy and download the book.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand all the concern about battery life. One month vs. 2 months. People on Amazon and boards like this one actually argue about it. I don't plan on going anywhere where I won't have access to electricity for a month, so I don't see the big deal on the battery life thing. I plug in my damned cell phone every single night, and that sucker just bleeds power. I don't see a problem with plugging in the Kindle every week or so; what's the big deal?
It's not really a big deal, I just find B&N's attempt to make their battery life look longer when it's really not a bit deceptive. In reality though, the battery life completely depends on how much you use it and it would be better to advertise the battery life in hours, not days, weeks, or months. As I pointed out before, the current advertised battery lives are based on only a half hour or hour usage each day. I use my Kindle much more than that - plus, I use the lighted cover which uses the Kindle's battery for the built in reading light... I try to turn wi-fi off as much as possible but my Kindle typically only lasts about a week before it needs a recharge. So if you're a heavy reader, do NOT expect the battery to last even the advertised one month, let alone two.

Still, it's not a big deal. Especially when you're used to a smartphone which doesn't even last a week. I have an iPhone and I also simply got in the habit of plugging it in every night while I'm asleep. Likewise, with my Kindle, I got into the habit of charging it for a few hours every weekend and it's never been a problem.

Quote:
(Oh! that reminds me--I need to find out which are bathtub-friendly, in case I have damp/wet hands when reading in the tub. least I won't have crinkly pages.)
No ereader is waterproof but there are cases and covers for them which are. If you don't want to spend extra on that, a simple ziplock bag will do the trick.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 AM

9,237 posts, read 19,874,412 times
Hah! I like the zip-loc idea. I don't plan on submerging it, but I do admit that my wet hands often make my books wet & crinkly.

Thanks for all the info. Like I said I think I'm leaning toward the Kindle Keyboard 3G. But the $139 version comes with "special offers & sponsored screensavers." Otherwise it's $189. I like saving money, but not if the thing is going to be loaded up with ads. I wonder if that version puts the ads within the books? I think $50 is worth avoiding that.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:31 AM

17,335 posts, read 28,358,227 times
Quote:
Hah! I like the zip-loc idea. I don't plan on submerging it, but I do admit that my wet hands often make my books wet & crinkly.

Thanks for all the info. Like I said I think I'm leaning toward the Kindle Keyboard 3G. But the $139 version comes with "special offers & sponsored screensavers." Otherwise it's $189. I like saving money, but not if the thing is going to be loaded up with ads. I wonder if that version puts the ads within the books? I think $50 is worth avoiding that.
Look on the Amazon website and read the reviews. I'm going to bet if the ads are while you're reading -- and, honestly, I don't even know how they could technically make that happen -- people would be up in arms and you'd be hearing about it.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM

9,301 posts, read 14,527,522 times
Quote:

No, the ads are never in the books, they only appear at the bottom of the home screen and on the screen savers. Also, they are not just ads, they are often genuine special offers and discounts for products on Amazon's website exclusive to people with the special offers Kindles. Some people love taking advantage of the discounts and think the special offers versions of the Kindle are worth more, not less.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM

13,590 posts, read 8,331,785 times
This turned out to be very long but I guess I had a lot of input to share(Not uncommon for me ). If you want bare bones conclusions, skip to the very end of the post.

I feel I should answer some of the questions posed in some of the posts here and update my initial review of the current e-readers available.

For people just starting out and only want to e-read, the kindle touch for 79.00 will give you the best bang for your buck, even if you don't have Wi-fi. Many, many places have wi-fi and you'd be hard pressed not to find a starbucks conveniently located near you. All starbucks have free wi-fi. In this case, you can use your home computer for your Amazon account and browse for the books and periodicals you like and then go to a wi-fi hotspot and download them directly to your kindle. The touch screen is not that big an issue as they work very well now. After all you're only using the touch feature to mostly turn a page or tap on a selection. The kindle keyboard was reduced from 139.00 for the SO model(SO=special offers Adds) to 89.99 at Best Buy over the thanksgiving weekend. These are highly reduced in price right now(except on the kindle/Amazon website) as vendors and distributers are clearing out their inventory of them. Check E-Bay for what the're selling for. It is an unpublished fact that Amazon will be dropping the keyboard as an obsolete model sometime in the spring as old technology. Of course they will continue to support the format.

So......if all you want to do is read the print in a book and store that book in a tablet the size of a ham sandwich, then I heartily recommend the kindle 79.00 touch model whether you have wi-fi or not. As stated you can browse the Amazon/kindle book store on your home computer in dial-up and copy the catalog#s and then go find a coffee shop, get a nice cappucinno and a danish and download all the books you like on your kindle before you've finished the coffee. Then you're good to go for another month or so.

If you like reading periodicals or magazines and your job requires you to read lots of PDFs then you need to consider the Kindle Fire or B&N Nook Color/Tablet. I love periodicals and go through them faster than I change socks so I did a long and comparative study on the three tablets mentioned. without slamming the other two, I'll just say that the Nook Tablet by Barnes and Noble had all the other equivilant tablets beat by a country mile. Hardware was far superior, user interface was much smoother and refined. The only shortcoming was that B&N gives you the device with the software that effectively walls you in to the B&N portal for all your content. This got up my nose as I don't like being walled in by anybody or anything and the applications available from B&N for their e-readers is quite sparse to say the least. You want a good calander and planner? They don't have one. You want a better browser? Good luck finding one on the B&N App store. The major shortcoming of the Nook Tablet was the lack of applications available to you.

Well, that's been fixed, I'm happy to say. After I settled on my Nook Tablet I went to some android developer forums and lo and behold there was a thread for fixing the lack of software for the Nook. It only took me 3 taps on the B&N Nook Tablet to get to the proper screen that allowed me to download the Amazon apps store and the Kindle Book store among a host of other cool applications and public domain bookshops that give you the books for free. B&N doesn't tell you about this. Now, I have the entire Amazon catalog of books and apps at my disposal and easily downloadable on my Nook. The best of both worlds. The Great Nook hardware and User Interface and the fantastic library of Kindle books and Amazon Apps. All in one Tablet for 249.00

So in hindsight, I made exactly the right choice for my needs as I have a wonderfull platform for reading all my periodicals in gorgeous color, formatted especially for the 7" tablet. Nat GEo just comes alive. Time and the Nation are a joy to read,(not so much for content but for readability, most the news is bad). I have a free app called "global news", that allows me to pull up any paper in the world and read it in any language I choose. Want to know what's going on in Pakistan? Just open the Karachi english version of their daily paper. I get my little hometown paper all in living color. NYT for free. LA Times....Free. I won't even go into the other capabilities like movies and Hulu plus as I don't use those features on my Nook Tab. If I want to watch something I'll use my home unit to do so.

So, my opinion is get the kindle touch for 79.00 if all you want to do is read print.
Get the Nook Tablet if you want the full range of published content the world has to offer, at your fingertips and in a format you'll really enjoy.

Good luck everyone and Hap-Hap-Happy Christmas Shopping.

Last edited by mohawkx; 12-01-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,487,409 times
I was listening to a radio show yesterday and they said that in 5 years e-readers are going to be obsolete.

Better to pay a bit more and get a tablet pc which can do all that and more.

Personally, I wouldn't have one, but I'm just passing along what I heard.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,209,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I was listening to a radio show yesterday and they said that in 5 years e-readers are going to be obsolete.

A tablet and an dedicated e-reader serve different purposes, and you aren't going to get a tablet for $79, not in the next several years anyway. There is a huge difference (to me, anyway) between an e-ink screen and a backlit screen and I'd rather have a dedicated e-reader with an e-ink screen for reading books. Since I have an e-reader, a tablet (iPad), a 9" netbook and a 13" laptop for extended travel, I am very familiar with the differences and purposes.

In 5 years everything on the current market will be obsolete, replaced by something newer and shinier - which is not to say that the current gen of e-readers will not still be around and people will still be happily downloading books onto their "obsolete" devices.

My first gen Kindle, passed on to friends when I got the last version, is still going strong and working very nicely, 4 years down the road.

As far as tablets (which are multi-function devices, not PRIMARILY e-readers) go, yes, 5 years from now something much "shinier" will be out, making the present gen look slow and clunky. On the other hand, if you worry about that kind of thing, you'd never buy ANY electronic device, as that is pretty much always true. My 7 year old Sony laptop is a dog compared to the Toshiba I bought this fall. In two years (or less, lol) the Toshiba will also look tired.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM

13,590 posts, read 8,331,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Could be true. The 7" tablet is the coming thing. IPAD is coming out with a 7" tablet in the spring. Seems that most people find the smart phone too small for all the applications offered and the IPAD2 sizing too big to be comfortable to carry around. Lots of tablet makers are just now settling in on the 7" size as the most portable with the most ability to do numerous applications on them. 2012 will see a lot of tablet makers downsizing their existing products to the 7".

I do believe that 7" units are where the IPAD Tablet format and the e-reader format meet in the middle and mate. The offspring is the 7" tablet that also reads books and does both very well.

Last edited by mohawkx; 12-01-2011 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books