Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Have you updated the software? There's currently a 5.0.3 version out - they are slowly pushing it out to devices but if yours hasn't updated automatically, you can do so manually, instructions are here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650
They also include instructions on how to first check which version you're on.

Alternatively, if it HAS updated automatically, it could be that the update is causing the problem. Contact Kindle Customer Support and they may be able to help by reverting you back to the original software version. Be sure to contact Kindle Customer Support which is different from Amazon Customer Support.
Thank you. Yes I read there is an update only because of my quest to figure out what is wrong. Mine does have the older version and I tried like heck to load the new one. I followed all the directions, drop and drag, not into an individual folder, etc etc but every time I double checked to see if mine was updated, my kindle still shows the old version. I read last night and it worked flawlessly like the day I got it so maybe its just a glitch but it does cause me concern as I was surprised to find so many had the same issues. Someone even suggested a bad batch might be out there since all of us that had issues on that forum got theirs at Christmas. I got mine from Best Buy so I dunno about that. No one specifically said where they got theirs from. I do really like the thing. It has been nice to take it places. I don't carry a large purse normally so I wasn't sure how well it would fit in my purse. I was pleased it doesn't take up much room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I was pretty skeptical about the two month battery life claimed for the Kindle Touch as when I get reading I tend to do nothing else for days until the book is finished. I figured I would be lucky to get 1/4 of the advertised battery life. To my amazement, I still have a bit of life left from the original charge on Christmas Eve so I got about 1/2 the advertised life and I read for WAY more than the half an hour a day they used to calculate that battery life expectancy.

I read a book on the reader and then started over and am about 1/3 of the way through my second read through, this time with the public highlighting feature turned on. The hardcover version is over 1000 pages. I really like being able to read a book that thick without having to carry 1000+ pages around with me. It is awkward to handle such a large book - it is heavy, difficult to hold open, won't fit in a normal handbag, and it attracts too much attention reading it in public. But on my Kindle, no one knows what I am reading, and strangely, no one asks. If I carry a real book with me I usually get at least one person who comes over, asks me about the book, but clearly has no actual interest as indicated by their eyes glazing over before I can spit out the title. Often they will then announce that they don't read. Then why did they interrupt my reading to ask about the book? I have never understood that but it is quite common.
Mine didnt last quite a month but I didnt let it go completely dead. It came close and I charged it. I have been a reading maniac though since I got it. I had 2 weeks off at Christmas so I was reading non stop. I have read turning off the wireless saves the battery even more.

I had to laugh about being interrupted about what book you are reading. Yes, I have had the same thing for only the person to tell me they don't read often. LOL. I think people are unsure what you are doing with the kindle. Is it a tablet? Its it a e-reader? Maybe you are working? Ya...its nice not to be bothered.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:01 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Battery Life: They say it's 2 months with wireless off and 1/2 hour of reading a day. From my results on the first charge it seemed in line with their estimate. Reading at least an hour a day that'd bring you down to 1 month battery life. I also had wireless on briefly a few times (that definitely sucks the life) and decided to recharge when the battery was showing about half full. That was after almost 2 weeks and I definitely averaged more than an hour a day of reading.

Flipping: That happens to me sometimes - usually just a couple pages at a time and always when I tap closer to the right edge instead of in the middle. It might be coincidence or there might be a sweet spot to avoid or invoke the flip problem. I have the old software and am waiting for them to update it wirelessly instead of doing the manual install.

Cover: Any of you buy a cover for yours? I couldn't see investing in the official cover with light since it's so pricey and I have a bedside lamp. Instead I ordered the marware eco-flip that opens up and back instead of from the side. It's a tad lighter than the official cover and I'm hoping it'll be more comfortable to hold in my small hand instead of the side open one. Plus, it can stand like an easel on the table if you want to read while eating or something.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post

Cover: Any of you buy a cover for yours? I couldn't see investing in the official cover with light since it's so pricey and I have a bedside lamp. Instead I ordered the marware eco-flip that opens up and back instead of from the side. It's a tad lighter than the official cover and I'm hoping it'll be more comfortable to hold in my small hand instead of the side open one. Plus, it can stand like an easel on the table if you want to read while eating or something.
I bought my cover when I got the Kindle. Mine flips open like a book and folds behind the Kindle. The inside is a soft microfiber material with one pocket. It is the New York Times photography archive collection by Verso (I think). It's a limited collection and now hard to find says my friend that searched for one. I see them for the keyboard style but not the touch.

Cityscape Kindle Cover

Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I know the feeling! You clearly know about being able to borrow ebooks from the library but, do you know that books copyrighted before 1923 are public domain so, if digitized, they're free? I'm enjoying Wodehouse and Wilkie Collins now - have others in the queue - all free
Yes, Thank you Tootsie, I do know about that and have down loaded half a dozen or so. I would guess that I have over 100 regular books in the waiting to be read bookcase that I don't want to get too overwhelmed with new ebooks until I get through some of the older stuff, either read them or get rid of them.

How come retirement hasn't given me an additional 40+ hours a week to read? Could it be the dogs?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
How come retirement hasn't given me an additional 40+ hours a week to read? Could it be the dogs?
I think it's safe to blame just about anything on the dogs

Old 01-24-2012, 02:20 PM

200 posts, read 565,140 times
I got a kindle fire for Christma and I LOVE reading on it. I don't browse much on it. I use it mostly for reading. But I have some dissapointing concerns. But maybe I am just niave to the answer. So maybe you can help me out!

When I first heard the great debate between a Kindle and a Nook (over a year ago), I was impressed that the nook at the 'borrowing/loaning" book capability with friends/fellow users. Then I was told that the Kindle had that also. So I went the kindle route. On Christmas morning I was trying to 'borrow' a book from my FIL and couldn't figure it out. So I google'd it and found that out that I can only borrow a book if the author gave permission (which very few of the auther's my FIL has on his Kindle allow that). Is that the same for the nook? I imagine it must be, but I don't know. I am a little disappointed if it is. I like being able to borrow/loan books with friends and family. However, I understand that the internet would allow people to take book borrowing and loaning to a new extreme. Maybe Kindle should allow borrowing of books if there is less than a 5 mile radius from the loaning kindle *CAN YOU HEAR ME KINDLE MAKERS?*

Also, I am a little dissapointed about the Amazon Prime membership. I like the borrowing book from the Kindle Library...but only 1 book a month?? I don't use it to watch movies or tv programs, so I only want the membership for the book borrowing. So the membership fee is way too much for just one book a month.

Am I wrong about these concerns? Are there ways around the book borrowing? Also, people mentioned e-books being loaned out at public libraries?? Can someone explain this more to me please? I highly doubt my very rural library has this feature...but I am interested in knowing more

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
I got a kindle fire for Christma and I LOVE reading on it. I don't browse much on it. I use it mostly for reading. But I have some dissapointing concerns. But maybe I am just niave to the answer. So maybe you can help me out!

When I first heard the great debate between a Kindle and a Nook (over a year ago), I was impressed that the nook at the 'borrowing/loaning" book capability with friends/fellow users. Then I was told that the Kindle had that also. So I went the kindle route. On Christmas morning I was trying to 'borrow' a book from my FIL and couldn't figure it out. So I google'd it and found that out that I can only borrow a book if the author gave permission (which very few of the auther's my FIL has on his Kindle allow that). Is that the same for the nook? I imagine it must be, but I don't know. I am a little disappointed if it is. I like being able to borrow/loan books with friends and family. However, I understand that the internet would allow people to take book borrowing and loaning to a new extreme. Maybe Kindle should allow borrowing of books if there is less than a 5 mile radius from the loaning kindle *CAN YOU HEAR ME KINDLE MAKERS?*

Also, I am a little dissapointed about the Amazon Prime membership. I like the borrowing book from the Kindle Library...but only 1 book a month?? I don't use it to watch movies or tv programs, so I only want the membership for the book borrowing. So the membership fee is way too much for just one book a month.

Am I wrong about these concerns? Are there ways around the book borrowing? Also, people mentioned e-books being loaned out at public libraries?? Can someone explain this more to me please? I highly doubt my very rural library has this feature...but I am interested in knowing more

Thanks for any help!
Hi!

I can only speak to the library question:

Yes. Yes, you can borrow Kindle books -- the ones that they offer (they're not ALL available, but more become available every week, it seems) -- from your library.

Google to find your library's website to see if they're linked to the C/W MARS system (that's the e-book lending system). Or call them and ask. I use this C/W MARS lending system often now to borrow books from the library -- it's fabulous!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for any help!
Being a new Kindle owner myself I did not realize that sharing books would require the author's permission. That stinks. It was one of the things I thought was cool about it. My friend has a nook, I will email her later to find out what the procedure is with hers.

I contacted my library that is part of a host within the county. I was told they are not set up for Kindle yet. They offer another service where you can download books to a computer. She said they may get the Kindle feature at some point. She was kind of rude and seemed like she didnt want to discuss anything with me as it was so I hung up.

As far as the Prime membership I was a bit shocked at how expensive it was. Isn't it like 79 dollars or in that range? At one book a month that averages to be around 6.60 a month for a book. I guess that isn't too bad but nothing to go head over heels for. They have a student option but I believe its only for 3 months and then automatically goes to the regular prime rate. Either way it didnt impress me and I won't be using it.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:03 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:

It's not so much the author who gives permission to allow lending but rather, the publisher, unless it's self published of course. All the "big 6" publishers have opted out of lending so many books aren't lendable. Amazon/Kindle can do nothing about it - it is within the publisher's right to disable the feature on their books. And yes, it's the same with the Nook - if a publisher doesn't want their books being lent on one device, they probably won't want it on any other device.

Quote:
I imagine if Amazon allowed more than one book per month, they would lose too much money. I don't know how exactly Prime works but I've heard that Amazon still pays for each borrowed book as a "sale" so the Prime Membership fee has to make up for that. So if they lent out too many books and the Prime fee wasn't covering it, they'd be losing a lot of money. For customers, it does mean that if you don't use all of the other benefits that comes with the Prime Membership, it probably wouldn't be worth it just for the books.

Quote:

Thanks for any help!
Yes, some libraries lend ebooks, you can go to Search OverDrive to find out (click the Libraries tab and put in your zip code).

The only other way to share books is to register both Kindles to the same account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books