U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 AM
 
Location: MS
200 posts, read 524,745 times
Reputation: 269

Advertisements

Thank you for all the feedback! Much appreciated!

And sorry for the mistake on thinking it was the author who had the choice...publisher makes more sense! Still a bummer. But good to know that the nook is the same way, so I don't feel like I made a bad choice :-)

And thank you also for helpful info on the lending from libraries! Unfortunately, the libraries in my 30 mile radius do not offer e-reading lending yet..but I will definitely keep checking in, because that sounds awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,326 posts, read 14,614,342 times
Reputation: 12252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
Thank you for all the feedback! Much appreciated!

And sorry for the mistake on thinking it was the author who had the choice...publisher makes more sense! Still a bummer. But good to know that the nook is the same way, so I don't feel like I made a bad choice :-)

And thank you also for helpful info on the lending from libraries! Unfortunately, the libraries in my 30 mile radius do not offer e-reading lending yet..but I will definitely keep checking in, because that sounds awesome!
I believe the Free Library of Philadelphia allows membership for people who live out of state for only $35 a year: FLP - Get a Library Card - they are listed on overdrive so you should be able to check out ebooks from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
 
1,649 posts, read 3,305,758 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
As far as the Prime membership I was a bit shocked at how expensive it was. Isn't it like 79 dollars or in that range? At one book a month that averages to be around 6.60 a month for a book. I guess that isn't too bad but nothing to go head over heels for. They have a student option but I believe its only for 3 months and then automatically goes to the regular prime rate. Either way it didnt impress me and I won't be using it.
PRIME is AWESOME!
But it's meant for free shipping. The book borrowing is just an added bonus now.
I average around 80 orders per year with Amazon. That's a lot of shipping charges saved. Definitely worth the price of admission. Free 2 day shipping and I can place as many orders as I want. No more waiting to order several things at a time. Love it.

I have the kindle with the physical buttons and keyboard. Love it. I only use it for reading and use it almost every day. My cover is the amazon one. Hard cover, folds to the back and stays there with the elastic band, and the best part is the integrated reading light that pulls out. I do 99% of my reading in bed at night. It does deplete the battery faster but soooo worth it and better than those add on lights you have to buy batteries for. The kindle is worlds better to read on than my ipad with it's glossy screen. Now if they can just figure out how to do colored e-ink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM
 
5,703 posts, read 17,035,207 times
Reputation: 8608
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
PRIME is AWESOME!
But it's meant for free shipping. The book borrowing is just an added bonus now.
I average around 80 orders per year with Amazon. That's a lot of shipping charges saved. Definitely worth the price of admission. Free 2 day shipping and I can place as many orders as I want. No more waiting to order several things at a time. Love it.
Ahhh, I see. Maybe I should have done that before christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,326 posts, read 14,614,342 times
Reputation: 12252
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
PRIME is AWESOME!
Now if they can just figure out how to do colored e-ink.
The technology has already been developed but I don't think it looks great yet (colors are kind of faded and flat) so it hasn't hit mainstream.

http://www.eink.com/sell_sheets/eink_brochure.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM
 
1,649 posts, read 3,305,758 times
Reputation: 1486
I think I'd be ok with that. I wouldn't expect it to look as good as my ipad (best way to read magazines).
I guess I would expect the colors to look similar to the funnies in the sunday paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top