Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

I'll always love paper books and will always have bookshelves filled with them. But the other night I fell asleep with my Kindle clutched in my hands and I realized that I can have two loves in my life. lol. After all, I'm a Gemini--we need two of everything!

For traveling, it's nifty to have lots of books loaded onto a reading device rather than weighing down your suitcase or backpack...

I've only used the Kindle so I cannot speak to the other reading devices. I find the Kindle (old style with backlit screen) to be very easy on my eyes--not tiring like a computer monitor that flickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
The Kindle e-readers don't have a backlit screen - only the Kindle Fire tablet does (like any of the other tablets, netbooks or laptops). The Kindle e-readers (Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard and whatever the $79 one is called) are all e-ink and require a booklight in low light, just like a regular print book.

Pretty sure that's what you meant, but I think someone just coming along to the thread might be confused.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My touch screen on my droid is infuriating, either not sensing what I'm touching, or jumping around/ stuttering, or being overly reactive to "perceived" touches. I clean it all the time, thinking there might be grease or dirt on the screen interfering with the responsiveness, but even when it's completely clean, I get the stuttering effect.
Then you need a new phone! Seriously... my iPhone doesn't behave that way at all and I don't think my brother's Droid phone does either. It sounds faulty.

eInk touch screens do seem to have a slight lag compared to backlit touch screens but I don't find it any slower than my Kindle Keyboard. And I haven't had any accidental page turns with my Kindle Touch whereas I had several with the side buttons of my Kindle Keyboard.

Quote:
I'm really impressed with the screen! Had no idea how sharp it would be, and how it would not have a light of its own. It's just like reading ink on paper. Doesn't hurt my eyes at all.
Isn't is great? I don't think people really understand how paper-like it is until they see it. I didn't!

Quote:
Plus, not being a touch screen, the screen is not likely to get fingerprints on it and require constant cleaning.
I haven't found fingerprints to be visible while reading. I've had my Kindle Touch since Christmas and I can only see fingerprints if I angle the Kindle at a sharp angle (looking down the length of it) and it catches the light just right. And it's not even possible to read in that position anyway so it would never normally be at that angle. I also tested it with my Kindle Keyboard before I got the Kindle Touch - I couldn't see any fingerprints if I touched my Kindle Keyboard screen and the Kindle Touch is the same way. Test it yourself on your Kindle Keyboard!

Quote:
The only thing I don't like so far is there seems to be no control over the screen savers--no choosing which one will come up, and no getting rid of the ones I don't like. Of course it's a minor problem, but when an image of an unattractive famous author comes up (and too many of them were not "lookers"), I end up hitting it a few more times until a cool design or reproduction of an old etching or illumination comes up.
Yeah, this is one of my few complaints about Kindle. There is a hack for it so you can add your own images but some people aren't comfortable hacking their Kindle, understandably. The screensavers on the Kindle Touch are much, MUCH better though. No more "dead authors". They have a lot of cool macro pictures of pencils, typewriter letters, etc. Here's examples of some: http://y42k.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/img_35461.jpg
http://matt.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo6.jpg

Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I'm still digging my Kindle and it's been a couple of weeks! I LOVE that you can get all the old classics--classical, medieval, renaissance works for free. Now I can carry it along with me and finish reading works I'd always planed to read or finish, like Don Quixote, the Divine Comedy, the Decameron, the Iliad & the Odyssey.

Plus, I like reading old fairy tales, and seeing how they started in the middle ages and evolved over time. You can get lots of old fairy tale books for free.

I ordered two covers, and they should be delivered soon. One is leather and looks like a regular book cover. The other is water resistant, in case you want to read while white-water rafting, or in my case, in the bathtub.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:11 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Two unexpected reasons that I love my Kindle:
1. No one know s what I'm reading. If I want to drag around a trashy "beach read" in the middle of the winter, no one is the wiser!

2. I can read while drying my hair, ironing, drinking coffee.... all hands-free (except for the touch to turn the page). No more smashing the book to keep it open or trying to weigh it down.

I have had my Kindle now for 6 weeks and have read four books - I'm lovin' it!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
My daughter gave me a Kindle Touch for Christmas and I'm grudgingly admitting I love it! I said the usual spiel about preferring actual books that I could hold in my hand, flip the pages, sniff the print, whatever. I still feel that way but I must say that i'm loving the Kindle!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Of course, as soon as I started reading on it, I had two dogs VERY interested in it, and I had to wipe dog-nose-prints off the screen in the first 5 minutes!
Another good reason for you not to have the Kindle Touch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Is there some easy way to find those public domain books for Kindle? I expected there to be a category for that specifically in the store but have been unable to find it?
At Amazon use the Shop All Departments pull down menu on the top left of the screen, choose Kindle, then from the Kindle menu choose Kindle Books, then on that page choose Free Collections from the menu on the left (under Popular Features). Once there you can do different searches. Or you can look up specific authors and choose the Kindle books tab from the author page.

I'm another one who resisted this technology but suddenly got the bug and had to have one. Am expecting my Kindle Touch to arrive this week and already have a few free books on my wishlist just waiting to be downloaded. In addition to the classic-classics that everyone thinks of like Dickens and such, they have stuff like PG Wodehouse - basically anything (but not everything) published before 1923.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
No one know s what I'm reading. If I want to drag around a trashy "beach read" in the middle of the winter, no one is the wiser!
I'm kind of the opposite. I'm a geek who likes to read history and very old "classics" like Chaucer, Dante. I hate always having to answer questions about what I'm reading, like if I'm reading in a restaurant, or carrying a book at work to read at lunch. I'd rather have them just think I'm reading trash and leave me alone. Instead, I get "Wow, that's a big book! You're reading about the Revolutionary War???" "The Odyssey! I thought that was just something they force you to read in high school!"

I also decided that I wanted to read the whole New Testament, something I've never done. I'm not overtly religious, but I'm very interested in both the history and messages in the Bible. People often argue about what is right & wrong according to Christianity, and Judeo-Christian tradition, and I can't contribute or know who's full of it since I really haven't read the Bible apart from little pieces here and there. If I read it in public, I know people will think I'm some type of holy-roller and make all kinds of judgements about me. This way, I can happily read the Bible, and let people think I'm reading crap!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Love my Kindle Fire! Not only can I read books and magazines, but watch unlimited streaming video with Amazon Prime.
If you sign up for e-mail from ereaderIQ.com they send you a daily list of FREE books. Love it.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I've tried out the Kindle and the Nook. Both are awfully good and valid choices.

However, I think I'd spring for the iPad, chiefly because of all the other functionality it has. On those 10-13 hour plane rides I occasionally take (I am, at best, a fitful sleeper on airplanes), there will be a time when I want to put down the book and do something else.

I used to be one of those readers who objected to the idea of an e-reader. But since I've been squinting at an old paperback Solzhenitsyn for the past several days, I'm really seeing the merit in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books