U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,393 times

Advertisements

Can someone list some authors who write suspense novels about typical everymen who are somehow thrust into suspenseful situations?

I'm personally sick of searching and only finding suspense novels which revolve around some incredibly-gifted and unrelatable people such as detectives, law enforcement officials, scientists, lawyers, journalists, secret agents, etc. who just happen to be perfect for solving crimes.

I personally like suspense novels such as Tell No One by Harlan Coben which revolves around an a regular doctor who is susposedly contacted by a his wife who died 8 years ago. I also like Linwood Barclay who wrote Fear the Worst, Never Look Away & No Time for Goodbye as well as Patricia Highsmith who write Strangers on a Train and the Tom Ripley novels. All three authors have written novels about everymen who are somehow caught up in suspenseful situations which they never expected.

So, can anyone recommend me some authors who write standalone suspense novels about everymen caught up in suspenseful situations i.e. Harlan Coben, Patricia Highsmith, Linwood Barclay, etc.?

No horror or fantasy novels please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 PM

169 posts, read 479,460 times
Just listing what I had read that fit into the category, not saying they are good or not. They probably fall into suspense / thriller / mystery category since it's hard to find a good definition for these genres... (some authors had written more than 1 stand alone book)

A World I Never Made by James LePore
Still Life by Joy Fielding
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce #1) by Alan Bradley (the protagonist is a little girl!)
Don't Breathe A Word by Jennifer McMahon and others
Obedience by Will Lavender
Odd Jobs by Ben Lieberman
Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens
Before I Go to Sleep: A Novel by S. J. Watson
Creep by Jennifer Hillier
Iron House: A Novel by John Hart
The Human Bobby by Gabe Rotter
The Blade Itself by Marcus Sakey
Children of Paranoia (Children of Paranoia #1) by Trevor Shane (it's a series but 2nd book not out yet, but the 1st one can read one a stand alone since it has an actual ending)

Old 12-24-2011, 02:11 PM

42,661 posts, read 77,395,395 times
T C Boyle "Talk Talk"
Robert Ford "The Student conductor"
Scott Spencer, "Man in the Woods"

Last edited by jtur88; 12-24-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 AM

18,332 posts, read 22,206,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4201024 View Post
Can someone list some authors who write suspense novels about typical everymen who are somehow thrust into suspenseful situations?

I'm personally sick of searching and only finding suspense novels which revolve around some incredibly-gifted and unrelatable people such as detectives, law enforcement officials, scientists, lawyers, journalists, secret agents, etc. who just happen to be perfect for solving crimes.
William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor series is great. The main character is a former county sheriff in a small Minnesota town who now flips burgers for a living. Great setting, too, since it's in northern Minnesota, and Krueger brings in a lot of the Ojibwe traditions of the area.

C.J. Box's Joe Pickett series is great. Joe is a happily married Wyoming game warden. Also a great series for setting. I tend to think of this series as perfect for guys who don't like to read, since there is a lot in them about hunting, fishing, camping, wildlife, etc. But my wife LOVES this series as much as I do.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:04 PM

4,061 posts, read 8,976,461 times
I really enjoy this author:

Books - The Official Website of Author John Katzenbach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books