U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 19,116,823 times

Advertisements

To me, though, it is amazing the I was born in the forties and I have long been retired & Beverly Cleary is still writing. I was a teacher & remember that my own students loved the Ramona books & her quality of writing has not diminished at all. That is fifty years .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM

9,238 posts, read 19,978,063 times
I remember a Ramona book, maybe "Ramona the Brave"? I remember she had a sister Beatrice but everyone called her "Beezus" because that's how Ramona pronounced it whe she was little. The biggest "bad word" she'd get in trouble for was saying "Jesus, Beezus!" I think Ramona was a bit of a trouble-maker who might be diagnosed with ADHD or some other impulse-control disorder today. I remember reading the books and thinking, "wow, she's BAD! I'd be in soooo much trouble if I pulled that!"

I also remember Ellen Tebbits and her friend Austine (I think it was?) I remember the long wool underwear scene that the other poster mentioned, but I grew up in the 70s so this was very foreign to me that anyone's parents would make them wear such things.
I remember some scene where the two girls wanted identical dresses, but instead of buying them, they had their moms make them (also foreign to me!) One girl's mom couldn't sew well, and sewed buttons over snaps and the dress looked awful. I think it was Austine's.
Wasn't there also a scene or chapter where Ellen tried to pull up some huge turnip or beet and bring it in for show & tell, and she got covered in mud after wrestling with the thing, which was like some huge beet from hell?
Weird the little things you remember after so many years...

Old 02-22-2012, 04:06 PM

3,167 posts, read 6,790,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I also remember Ellen Tebbits and her friend Austine (I think it was?) I remember the long wool underwear scene that the other poster mentioned, but I grew up in the 70s so this was very foreign to me that anyone's parents would make them wear such things.
I remember some scene where the two girls wanted identical dresses, but instead of buying them, they had their moms make them (also foreign to me!) One girl's mom couldn't sew well, and sewed buttons over snaps and the dress looked awful. I think it was Austine's.
Wasn't there also a scene or chapter where Ellen tried to pull up some huge turnip or beet and bring it in for show & tell, and she got covered in mud after wrestling with the thing, which was like some huge beet from hell?
Yep - you are pretty close on all of that! I had forgotten about the matching dresses part! And you are right - it was a beet. She ended up late for school with a muddy dress and mean Otis teased her.

I think the friend was Justine, maybe...

Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,823,996 times
Man, I may have to read these again!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM

12,228 posts, read 16,722,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You remember so much lol her friend's name was Austine and she had the ugly dress. She was jealous of Ellen's and kept pulling her bow and then Otis (the ballet teacher's son) pulled Ellen's bow but she thought it was Austine and slaps her.

Do you guys remember Emily's runaway imagination where she bleaches the horse to make a white stallion? And I loved Ribsy....man I hope my son likes to read so I can have an excuse to buy those books again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books