U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,758,922 times

Advertisements

I'd say I have 50-100. Before I moved I had considerably more, but most of them I didn't really need so I gave them to friends. Now I take a few to the used bookstore for credit occasionally and use that credit to buy a new one to read. Then when I'm done reading it I take it back for credit. So I'm really just renting books now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,765,793 times
I have approx 400 books.
I love the feel of books. I love to feel the pages as I turn them to the next page to continue reading.

This is why I'm not a fan of electronic readers.
I'll never own one.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM

15,894 posts, read 15,909,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Hubby started to implement a rule : if I want to get a book in I now need to get a book out. So far I am still winning the battle and also "secret" hiding places for a small cache. Getting rid of so many of my books was heartbreaking though. I have no problem giving books away I have not enjoyed but those I have loved I consider my "babies". At least they went to charity but still. But hey I don't drink, don't smoke and have taken drugs so I suppose not too bad a "vice"...

I dream of one of those huge wall to wall libraries , the ones with a little spiral staircase to the upper levels, with a fireplace, huge dual aspect windows and comfy armchairs ( and a small fridge for drinks and snacks of course). I could then maroon myself in that room and only come out once in a while !

Something like the Oxford University Union Library ( where I go and read periodicals once in a while) which is my idea of heaven ! ( and with Arthurian frescoes painted by Burne-Jones , Rossetti and William Morris to top it all !!) :

http://www.oxford-union.org/__data/a...ld_Library.jpg

http://karmapa.brainbooking.com/imglib/oxford-uniion139 (broken link)[1].jpg
I always think of that wonderful book and movie 84 Charing Cross Road. A true story.

Anthony Hopkins is an English book finder and his correspondence with Anne Bancroft, a New Yorker who adores old books, lasts for many years. The Hopkins character has such a wonderful job traveling around England finding books in estate sales, private sales and dusty little book stores. I had a great time poking around book stores in London and outlying areas. The rich history of the printed word was so engrossing. I brought back to Texas a suitcase full of books.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I have approx 400 books.
I love the feel of books. I love to feel the pages as I turn them to the next page to continue reading.

This is why I'm not a fan of electronic readers.
I'll never own one.
I feel the same way. I ordered The Bell Jar years ago and when it came I could not stop feeling and smelling the book. Loved the ink. The paper is a thick linen. Oh my, that physical book is such a treasure.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,087,737 times
A couple of dozen reference books that I still like better than Online. A lot of them are wildlife field guides. Everything else I read is from the library. If I acquire a one-time-read, I give it away when I'm done with it.

My estimate is that 90% of all the books that currently exist on earth will never be opened again by any human being. Nobody has any problem with consigning magazines and newspapers to destruction or recycling, what makes books any different? Use them for fuel.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:13 PM

5,934 posts, read 6,949,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A couple of dozen reference books that I still like better than Online. A lot of them are wildlife field guides. Everything else I read is from the library. If I acquire a one-time-read, I give it away when I'm done with it.

My estimate is that 90% of all the books that currently exist on earth will never be opened again by any human being. Nobody has any problem with consigning magazines and newspapers to destruction or recycling, what makes books any different? Use them for fuel.
Blasphemy!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,765,793 times
Amen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I feel the same way. I ordered The Bell Jar years ago and when it came I could not stop feeling and smelling the book. Loved the ink. The paper is a thick linen. Oh my, that physical book is such a treasure.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM

23,883 posts, read 67,051,513 times
A couple of hundred maybe.
I would like to have a proper library with a couple of thousand.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That dawg won't hunt in these parts.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 PM

11,095 posts, read 10,233,999 times
No idea. A few thousand, I assume. Much in storage.

I can't imagine not "needing" books, or regarding them as clutter, nor can I imagine a husband making rules about what I'd be allowed to buy, which sounds very retro, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or