U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,580,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I always think of that wonderful book and movie 84 Charing Cross Road. A true story.

Anthony Hopkins is an English book finder and his correspondence with Anne Bancroft, a New Yorker who adores old books, lasts for many years. The Hopkins character has such a wonderful job traveling around England finding books in estate sales, private sales and dusty little book stores. I had a great time poking around book stores in London and outlying areas. The rich history of the printed word was so engrossing. I brought back to Texas a suitcase full of books.
I loved that film ! I also saw the play on stage which was even better ! I think from memory the original bookshop is now a Pizza Hut or something similarly sacrilegous.

And for Jtur88 I pretty much always re-read my books and the idea of using them as fuel is just simply too shocking for words ! I find less and less contemporary books I want to read so have to fall back on my good old classics. I always buy second hand books though, I love pre-loved books and this way no new books need to be printed to satisfy my craving either.

Hubby always laughs at me everytime I go past a second hand bookstore as I get a "gleam" in my eyes and am inexorably drawn to it... Some women feel the magnetic pull of the clothes or shoe shops for me it is the lure of the musty bookstore ! He knows perfectly well his rule is being ignored but we play this little "dance" of pretending he can stop me from invading our home with more books... He knows he is losing that battle though. To be fair our house is tiny so he has a point ! He told me that at least books are a lot cheaper than diamonds or designer handbags. So my unspeakable proclivity is tolerated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 AM

44,268 posts, read 55,555,952 times
Thousands.

The last few years I have been hitting the library more. Most books aren't worth keeping.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 AM

1,591 posts, read 1,214,852 times
Morning!

We probably still have a couple of hundred; I can't be certain, as I'm not at home to count them, but we used to have several hundred more and so have downsized considerably. We use libraries and books-on-CD more nowadays. Our movie collection, however, is steadily growing, as DH and I enjoy sharing time together. We must have circa 700 movies at home and a 'to get' list of at least fifty more. We find we like to snuggle up and share our leisure time so movies and books-on-tape are more our speed of late. Maybe it's an 'age' thing. LOL!

Mahrie.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 AM

28,055 posts, read 66,548,761 times
We had well over 1000, possibly 2000. When my mother died, we helped dad clean out some rooms and sorted piles and piles of books. The ones that no one inthe family wanted, we donated to the friends of the library book sale. We divided them between two years and donated over 2000 books each year. Then we fuond some more and donated another 2000. We hauled them in by the pick up truck load. Becasue of this we went through our books and pared them down and donated a ton more. We probably have 500 -800 left. Mostly books that we know we will read again or want the kids to read. Some we just havent gotten to and many how to type books we probably never will. I have probably 30 books on clock repair. I have read maybe two of them completely and another three a few bits here and there. Of the others, I hope to figure out which ones are the best ones and get rid of the rest, but at the pace Iam going, I probably never will get around to it.

Since my wife started working as a librarian, we buy books a lot less often. Our kids read a lot of books on those Kindle things as well. Once we finish our library we will proabbly sort the books more as we shelve them and get rid of 40% more. Right now they are mostly on book shelves that are not build in, but some are just piled here and there.

I am afraid that by the time we get the library shelves done, books will be obsolete. They are nearly so now.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,871,944 times
Used to have about 5000 now have about 100, I'm replacing hard copies with Kindle copies but can't quite part with my hard copy cookbooks yet.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM

6,787 posts, read 2,300,465 times
Right now I have somwhere between 5000 and 8000. I keep saying I need to start donating some but it is extremely hard to part with my best friends! As the kids moved out, shelves went up on their bedroom walls. I still need more walls and shelving!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 AM

17,335 posts, read 28,353,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
Right now I have somwhere between 5000 and 8000. I keep saying I need to start donating some but it is extremely hard to part with my best friends! As the kids moved out, shelves went up on their bedroom walls. I still need more walls and shelving!
Oh my gosh! I want to come visit... and stay!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM

15,894 posts, read 15,909,244 times
When we moved into our new office space we held several auctions and sales to raise money to decorate the place.

I decided a book sale would be good. So, the staff of 100 brought in books to donate to the sale. I brought in around 400.

The hardbacks went for $2.00 and the paperbacks went for $1.00. We had a lot of books. The shelves took up one entire room in the space. We made close to $1,000. I manned the sale room and got to really know some of the folks I had not known well. It's amazing how a discussion of books can create friendships.

One guy brought in his wife's collection of romance books. Very few people were interested in them. So, here is what I did. Anyone who bought a book HAD to also take a romance novel for free. Most did not want to but I made them take a romance novel along with their purchase.

A couple of days later I noticed the desk of one employee who had been on temporary duty elsewhere during the sale. That poor guy. His desk was stacked with those romance books. The employees just dumped their "free" copies on his desk. What a surprise for him when he got back to the office days later.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:15 PM

23,569 posts, read 16,016,106 times
I have never counted. A rough guess is about 1,000, but it could be more- I have a basement full of 'em, and I'm part owner in a family ranch; our summer range's cabin is also full of them, but not all of those are mine.
At any given time, I have about a dozen or more lent out to friends and family. I also give a lot of books away after I have read them. (and I get as many back from friends)

I read everything- novels, mysteries, sci-fi, westerns, biographies, political stuff from both sides, histories, and I own a ton of art books, music books, illustrated novels, etc. If it comes between 2 covers, I'll read it. I always have at least a dozen unread books on the shelves.

I don't much like the e-readers, but I may end up getting one eventually; they're very handy for obtaining hard to find books.

My maternal Grandmother loved to read, and taught me how when I was about 3. Bless her... I have packed a couple of books around with me ever since, and taught my kids to read early, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or