Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,339,667 times

Advertisements

I'm 8th on the "hold" list, but it'll get to me (from the library) one of these months...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,743,119 times
I thought both the novel and the film were excellent - but then, I'm not shackled by the tiresome expectation that a film can't differ substantially and elementally from its literary source and still be exceptional. The written word and cinema are simply very different mediums. It is silly to not to expect them to play out in very different manners.

However, two points:

*I think we know all we need to know about Danny Torrance. At least, I do. A novel concludes. The future is unknown unless the author spells it out. Now, some works are always intended to be carried on in another novel. But The Shining has stood on its own very nicely for three-plus decades. It will continue to do so for me.

*The author no longer exists. Stephen King wrote The Shining in 1976. In my humble opinion, too much time has passed. The voice that wrote The Shining is gone. And that is a goodthing. King and his writing have evolved, allowing for new aspects to his craft. But I think sequels need to retain the voice of their predecessor.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,765,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I'm 8th on the "hold" list, but it'll get to me (from the library) one of these months...
I'm like #28 on the hold list, and considering I work at the library (thus have a slight edge on getting myself on the list) that's pretty sad.

This might actually be one I'll consider purchasing on iTunes (for my iPad). I have a large credit from a gift card my mother gave me, so this could be a good use of some of those funds... especially since it can take me a while to get through non-work-related reading, and I won't be able to renew a book this popular! Can't wait to read it.

P.S. If your library ordered a butt-load of copies, like mine did, 8th in line should get it to you pretty quickly. We ordered around 30-40 copies, but they are to be distributed among our 8 branches.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,231,303 times
I can't put this book down. It's that good. I didn't expect it to be but it is. I'm so happy.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,528,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I can't put this book down. It's that good. I didn't expect it to be but it is. I'm so happy.
That's good to hear.

I am buying the book next month, but won't be reading it until after I open it on Christmas day.

I am currently re-reading the Earth's Children books by Jean Auel and probably won't be done all of them until late December anyway. I spend an hour or so reading each night; I like to savor the story.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,099,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Great!

I won't do books on an e-reader but I pre-ordered Doctor Sleep from Amazon over a month ago. Yesterday I got an email that it had shipped and I can't wait.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 AM

22,850 posts, read 28,094,569 times
I'm picking up my copy today. Can't wait!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,231,303 times
I finished it about an hour ago. It's wonderful. It's scary and it's touching....as only King can do.

I think this book was a very personal one for him and you will find out why as you read it. He's a master of creating fascinating characters and he has done it again with Dr. Sleep. There are so many people in this book that I cared so much about.

I hope all of you enjoy it as much as I did.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,020,747 times
Just checked the library's web site and I'm the 5th hold! Yippee! However, I noticed that seven copies are still on the hold shelf at the library branches. What are these people waiting for? The longer it takes them to pick up their reserved copy the longer before I get to read this book! I can't understand why people do that. I always pick up any holds I have within a day or two. I want to yell at them to HURRY UP!!

Did anyone catch Stephen on The View last week? It was nice to see him. He has such a great sense of humor. I owe my love of reading to him. I can remember when I first read The Shining. I was only 11 years old(36 years ago!). It was the end of the school year and nothing was going on in our classes. I was sitting there quietly reading The Shining when someone put their hand on my shoulder. I screamed and threw the book in the air! I was probably too young to be reading THAT book but my Mother let me. I just have such a fondness for SK. I can't wait to read Doctor Sleep.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:36 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,020,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I thought both the novel and the film were excellent - but then, I'm not shackled by the tiresome expectation that a film can't differ substantially and elementally from its literary source and still be exceptional. The written word and cinema are simply very different mediums. It is silly to not to expect them to play out in very different manners.

However, two points:

*I think we know all we need to know about Danny Torrance. At least, I do. A novel concludes. The future is unknown unless the author spells it out. Now, some works are always intended to be carried on in another novel. But The Shining has stood on its own very nicely for three-plus decades. It will continue to do so for me.

*The author no longer exists. Stephen King wrote The Shining in 1976. In my humble opinion, too much time has passed. The voice that wrote The Shining is gone. And that is a goodthing. King and his writing have evolved, allowing for new aspects to his craft. But I think sequels need to retain the voice of their predecessor.
Your points are interesting but I don't agree. On your first point. Stephen King said through out the years he always wondered about Danny Torrance. SK said several years after, he thought about how Danny would be a teenager and wondered what he would be up too. SK also said many people through out the three decades have asked him about Danny.

As for your second point. If his writing has evolved then so would his characters. Danny would also have evolved. I don't think a sequel needs to retain the voice of it's predecessor. Like you said it has been over three decades. I would expect some evolution in the author and the characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books