Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:59 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times

Advertisements

I am loving my christmas present kindle, but i am not sure that the reading is faster. i tend to focus on the page more and think about it, often rereading it. With hard copy I would tend to speed read, then go back if I felt I needed to. So maybe I read books too fast.

but love the kindle and will see if the library will help me connect to ebooks. yippee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I am loving my christmas present kindle, but i am not sure that the reading is faster. i tend to focus on the page more and think about it, often rereading it. With hard copy I would tend to speed read, then go back if I felt I needed to. So maybe I read books too fast.

but love the kindle and will see if the library will help me connect to ebooks. yippee
That would be great if your library offered them. I love it.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Dawn, in many Kindle books, if you open the menu while you're reading, it will show the page number at the bottom middle of the screen. For me with my Kindle Touch, I'll tap the top of the page and underneath the bottom menu where the font, go to and xray options are, it will show location and percentage as usual but the middle will show something like 'page 52 of 637'. Also, if you use the Go To option, and choose 'location or page number' it will show you the full range of page numbers (1-637). HTH!
I just looked at a couple of other books on my Kindle, and yes, when I press Menu, it then shows me the page numbers! Cool! Thanks for the tip!

I was surprised that the one that I was talking about -- Rules of Civility -- didn't show the page numbers since it's a brand new book, but I guess it has nothing to do with the age of the book. It just is or isn't there.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just looked at a couple of other books on my Kindle, and yes, when I press Menu, it then shows me the page numbers! Cool! Thanks for the tip!

I was surprised that the one that I was talking about -- Rules of Civility -- didn't show the page numbers since it's a brand new book, but I guess it has nothing to do with the age of the book. It just is or isn't there.
Ooh glad it worked for you! Yeah, that's one of those editing/publishing issues again. They just didn't give it any more attention than they had to. Actually, so far, all my free pre-1923 books have had page numbers but not all the recent books have. Go figure.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Default I know this is an old thread...

I know this is an old thread but I'm glad I stumbled upon it. I've been holding out on getting an e-reader but lately I've been reconsidering it. I'm working on downsizing my house, and if I can get most of my book collection from the library, then I can clear out some serious space.

My phone (Droid 3) came with three books pre-loaded on it through the Google Books app. Last year when I was on vacation, I actually ran out of reading material, whereas I usually end up hauling books around and only touch them to repack. I didn't want to spend $10 for a cheesy romance novel in the gift shop so I decided to read "Pride and Prejudice" on my phone. Though it is my only experience with e-reading, I know I read that MUCH faster than I would have read an actual book.

I've also had a couple of friends say they go through books much faster on their Kindles/Nooks than "real" books and this thread seems to support that as well. Given my Goodreads "want to read" list is over 300 books, maybe I should consider an e-reader a little more seriously!

Old 06-23-2013, 12:03 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
It depends on how large I have the font set - on a "bad eyes" reading day I am sure I read comparatively slowly. But then, if it wasn't for the Kindle, I wouldn't be reading AT ALL on those days. That is why I have the large and small Kindle - when I really need large text, I switch over to the larger screen DX and turn it to "landscape" mode so that I get more large print text per page.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
I have never read an e-book, but I think it would take longer than a paper book. When I read a book, I can sit and read until I finish or am interrupted. I don't lose focus. When I'm at the computer, I click from page to page. If e-books feel anything like reading on the computer, I don't know if I could "lose myself" in one.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:57 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I have never read an e-book, but I think it would take longer than a paper book. When I read a book, I can sit and read until I finish or am interrupted. I don't lose focus. When I'm at the computer, I click from page to page. If e-books feel anything like reading on the computer, I don't know if I could "lose myself" in one.
that's a good point, but I wonder if 'location' plays a part in it. Most times, being at a computer can mean sitting at a desk. And to many, even if on personal time, that can feel like work.
Where as reading a book (regardless if paper or ebook) one could find themselves relaxed on a couch, maybe outside in the sun, or just in a quiet corner of the house in a comfy chair. Then it's just a matter if the story itself is good enough to fall into, since the reader is in a position to enjoy their book.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
that's a good point, but I wonder if 'location' plays a part in it. Most times, being at a computer can mean sitting at a desk. And to many, even if on personal time, that can feel like work.
Where as reading a book (regardless if paper or ebook) one could find themselves relaxed on a couch, maybe outside in the sun, or just in a quiet corner of the house in a comfy chair. Then it's just a matter if the story itself is good enough to fall into, since the reader is in a position to enjoy their book.
It's nothing like sitting at a computer reading. I work on my laptop all day, every day, and that's why I resisted an e-reader for so long. I wanted a rest from screens and technology.

I absolutely love my Kindle. I read quicker on it for a variety of reasons that I've already described in this thread, and it's absolutely nothing like a computer screen.

ETA: Based on what PA2UK wrote just after I posted, I should add that my Kindle is not back-lit. It's eInk, so it feels (looks) nothing like a computer screen.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
It doesn't feel anything like reading on the computer when you have an eInk device. eInk looks just like paper and ink (the screen is not backlit like a computer screen) and there are not really any other distracting features like games and stuff. Plus, you can read anywhere you want, unlike with a computer, and with the ability to set one's preferred font, text size, and line spacing, (unlike with a printed book) you will always be reading in optimal conditions. I have no trouble loosing myself in ebooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books