Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times

Advertisements

Lots of attention being given to this book...has anyone read it yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Haven't even heard of it

Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM

531 posts, read 501,538 times
Saw a couple of excerpts. It was hilariously awful, even by the super-low standards of its genre.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
I just read about this book today. If you're interested you can still get it for free in pdf format.

Erotic novel surges up best seller list - CNN.com

Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Default Just finished the series

I just finished the series and couldn't put it down. Just reading "excerpts" doesn't do it justice. The characters are extremely complex. It is funny, sad, heart-breaking and a very unusual love story. I highly recommend it. When a book has over 400 ratings on Amazon and scores a 4.6 there is something to be said for it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I just finished the series and couldn't put it down. Just reading "excerpts" doesn't do it justice. The characters are extremely complex. It is funny, sad, heart-breaking and a very unusual love story. I highly recommend it. When a book has over 400 ratings on Amazon and scores a 4.6 there is something to be said for it.
I read the Anne Rice Sleeping Beauty trilogy and loved it.
I think I like erotica more than romance and have not read any romance novels.
I am wondering about purchasing the Fifty Shade trilogy.

How does it compare to Sleeping Beauty?

I think the author is Australian and although it was to be economically purchased in Kindle, the paper books cost a fortune because they were I believe, printed to order.
Now she has a deal with some book publishing company and the paperbacks are scheduled to be out in April.

The thing is, this whole thing is being driven by people reading the books and adoring them.
They all say something similar. You may not love the writing, but once you get into it, it is riveting.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I read the Anne Rice Sleeping Beauty trilogy and loved it.
I think I like erotica more than romance and have not read any romance novels.
I am wondering about purchasing the Fifty Shade trilogy.

How does it compare to Sleeping Beauty?

I think the author is Australian and although it was to be economically purchased in Kindle, the paper books cost a fortune because they were I believe, printed to order.
Now she has a deal with some book publishing company and the paperbacks are scheduled to be out in April.

The thing is, this whole thing is being driven by people reading the books and adoring them.
They all say something similar. You may not love the writing, but once you get into it, it is riveting.
I've never read the Sleeping Beauty books but they sound good! Your right on the $. I think they were $9.99 per book on the Kindle but $29.99 if you purchased the books at a bookstore. From what I've heard they are next to impossible to find in the book stores because of the high demand.

My favorite part on these books (besides the obvious) is the email exchange between the two. I wish I could be that witty!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Ok. I pre ordered them through Amazon. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I can't commit to a series. It's just too much for me. But I noticed these books being advertised on Amazon a month or so ago. Never heard of the author. Couldn't understand why THREE books were being released in one shot, rather than having them spread out.

The other mystery to me is why two of them are only available for pre-order -- they're only being released in mid-April -- but my library has all three of them available on Kindle now.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:27 PM

A little of the background as I know it, which MAY be wrong -

There is a group of people(amateurs) who write free pieces (stories, novellas) for the Kindle in the style of Twilight, Harry Potter, etc.

This woman, the author, wrote some/an erotic Twilight piece. She had a certain popularity, and so started this trilogy which had a following and she
managed to sell them on Kindle.

They really took off. I read articles about women on the Upper East Side (society types) secretly reading these things. They were not available in paper and those who wanted them/ordered them would have to pay hundreds of dollars for a special printing.

As word spread (they are supposed to be addictive and women all over are saying they could not put them down), they hit it big on best seller lists, and she struck a deal with a British publisher (she is Australian) for several million and they are now coming out in paperback.

That's the best that I can do now. Hope that helps.
There is talk about this being a new genre, so I don't think it is typical romance stuff that never attracted me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books