U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:14 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,405,800 times

Advertisements

After 244 years, Encyclopedia Britannica will cease production of its iconic multi-volume book sets.Britannica usually prints a new set of the tomes every two years, but 2010's 32-volume set will be its last. Instead, the company will focus solely on its digital encyclopedia and education tools.

Encyclopedia Britannica to stop printing books - Mar. 13, 2012

I have a set I bought back in 1998. Digital reading isn't for me. Not yet, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:51 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,192,114 times
Too bad. My family purchased a new set from World Book Encyclopedia in 1976. My brothers and I would spend our indoor time pouring over the pages and comparing illustrations and reading out loud interesting bits from the articles. We really did gain quite a bit of knowledge from those volumes and we always scored quite well in reading skill examinations. We had that set of encyclopedias until they were destroyed in a hurricane in 1992.

The school library had the Britannica edition and they were much more detailed.

Of course if I were twelve now I would be in front of the Xbox shooting zombies or playing Forza or texting.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 AM

17,335 posts, read 28,353,422 times
This makes me sad... and it makes me feel old.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 AM

9,301 posts, read 14,525,105 times
Supply and demand. There's obviously not enough demand to make it worth their while. People will say what a shame it is but I'll bet a very small percentage of them even bought it in the last 10-20 years.

They still plan to produce digital versions, anyway. It's not like it's going away completely as a resource, just changing format. Such is life today.

I don't know about this comment though: "I'd bet a lot of money that most people would rather use Britannica than Wikipedia."

I think people would acknowledge that Britannica is more reliable and accurate than Wikipedia but for layman's usage, I'm not going to pay for knowledge I can get for free. If I was a student or teacher or author, etc, I would find it worth paying for a more reliable source of information like Britannica. But most people outside of academic fields are probably happy with free Wikipedia.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,589,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Too bad. My family purchased a new set from World Book Encyclopedia in 1976. My brothers and I would spend our indoor time pouring over the pages and comparing illustrations and reading out loud interesting bits from the articles.
I did the same thing. I have to tell you that I STILL remember a lot of what I learned by reading through those World Book encyclopedias as a kid. Because of those books I was well ahead of almost all other kids in all of my classes from elementary, middle and high school.

Hearing about them no longer printing them breaks my heart.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM

802 posts, read 1,152,062 times
I will never prefer reading digital over the real thing as far as books are concerned. I wonder if the same thing will happen to the World Book encyclopedia in the years ahead. I always preferred them over Britannica.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 AM

23,903 posts, read 25,832,877 times
I understand why they're stopping the print edition, but it's still the end of an era. People do get in a wikipedia loop these days clicking through to different topics, but it's a different thing than going to look up "bees" and ending up getting lost in all kinds of "b" things you never even knew you were interested in.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:31 PM

5,209 posts, read 9,488,798 times
I remember how much I used my parents' set of encyclopedias growing up, mostly for school assignments. Now we have an older set that my own kids have barely touched. They do a good deal of their research on the internet. So I suppose it's just a sign of the times...

Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,025,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I will never prefer reading digital over the real thing as far as books are concerned. I wonder if the same thing will happen to the World Book encyclopedia in the years ahead. I always preferred them over Britannica.
While I prefer reading hard copy books to digital copies. I prefer doing research online over paperback.

I also like this move because of how many trees it will save.

It is far too easy to find information about anything online to use an encyclopedia.

It probably also hurts that studies have found Wikipedia to be on par with Britannica as far as accuracy is concerned.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,192,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
While I prefer reading hard copy books to digital copies. I prefer doing research online over paperback.

I also like this move because of how many trees it will save.

It is far too easy to find information about anything online to use an encyclopedia.

It probably also hurts that studies have found Wikipedia to be on par with Britannica as far as accuracy is concerned.

Do you have a link to that? I never trust Wiki only use it as a guideline for further research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or