Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times

Advertisements

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
He's 10? What reading level is he?
While Ender's Game is a novel about a younger child, it was indeed written for adults with that sort of viewpoint in many parts of the story. I think my son started the series when he was 12 and in middle school, and over the years I've introduced many customers to Ender at that age.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
It really depends on the 5th grader.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
He's 10? What reading level is he?
While Ender's Game is a novel about a younger child, it was indeed written for adults with that sort of viewpoint in many parts of the story. I think my son started the series when he was 12 and in middle school, and over the years I've introduced many customers to Ender at that age.
An 11yo girl who is a level Z (fountas-pinelle) I know I spelled that wrong.

She likes edgy, mature books, but I worry that Ender's Game may be too violent. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I don't think for your girl it's age inappropriate. It's been a while since I've read it (a long while) but I don't recall the book itself being violent. It's the truth of violence that's fundamentally disturbing, and if she's edgy and mature for her age she already appreciates this. I think it would launch her on proper questions about humanity and conscience. I'd trust her to run properly with those issues.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I don't think for your girl it's age inappropriate. It's been a while since I've read it (a long while) but I don't recall the book itself being violent. It's the truth of violence that's fundamentally disturbing, and if she's edgy and mature for her age she already appreciates this. I think it would launch her on proper questions about humanity and conscience. I'd trust her to run properly with those issues.
Thank you for responding I think you give her too much credit. Whenever she reads these edgy mature books I look forward to discussing them, but she's still pretty shallow in her observations or maybe she doesn't want me bugging her. She gets what she reads, but she doesn't want to discuss the books, so it's hard to say what she gets from them. Maybe in a couple of years she will be able to dig deeper.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM

349 posts, read 616,270 times
Yes, I do.

In fact, I didn't LIKE the Ender's Game saga, but if I were younger, I would have loved it. I wish I WOULD have read them when I was a preteen/teenager, and not when I was 27. I would have had more appreciation for it!

Edited to add:

The books are centered around a group of children, and has the mentality of a child- but as the novels develop, so do the characters. Violence wise, it's really no worse than anything she's probably already read or even seen (I'm pretty sure the Twilight saga was just as violent, if not more so).

Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
Yes, I do.

In fact, I didn't LIKE the Ender's Game saga, but if I were younger, I would have loved it. I wish I WOULD have read them when I was a preteen/teenager, and not when I was 27. I would have had more appreciation for it!

Edited to add:

The books are centered around a group of children, and has the mentality of a child- but as the novels develop, so do the characters. Violence wise, it's really no worse than anything she's probably already read or even seen (I'm pretty sure the Twilight saga was just as violent, if not more so).
I just read it last year and I remember thinking how much I would have loved it when I was a kid - I would totally have related to the bullying etc that goes on between children.

I can't compare the level of violence because I haven't rad the Twilight books. I didn't find the book all that violent - what's most violent isn't stated until the end. I think that if a kid has interest in it, it's totally appropriate.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Thank you for responding I think you give her too much credit. Whenever she reads these edgy mature books I look forward to discussing them, but she's still pretty shallow in her observations or maybe she doesn't want me bugging her. She gets what she reads, but she doesn't want to discuss the books, so it's hard to say what she gets from them. Maybe in a couple of years she will be able to dig deeper.
I dunno. I think kids that age get things but just haven't developed the vocabulary to express their thoughts, and end up sounding shallow.
Spoiler
Ender's "game" ends up being real. Ender, a child, was duped into participating in war.
That's not a difficult message in itself to grasp, but it's no more difficult morally than war itself, which an 11-year-old certainly should ponder because it's a present fact. There's nothing to shield this age group from since they already know about it. Better to have them start preparing their minds for quandaries and ramifications because quandaries and ramifications aren't going away either. Gear up those thinking muscles, I say. You're lucky she's interested in reading at all. Half the "battle" already won.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Yes. I remember it as being overall fairly simple, without sex or much violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books