Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Ah, I see, under "paperback-imports." That's separate from "paperbacks." I wonder why? I ordered a new paperback. I only buy used if it's an out-of-print book I can't get new.

I can't believe you pushed that recipe on me and then never tried it! Sheesh!
OMG! You trusted me enough to order a NEW book, instead of USED??? Crap! I hope you like it as much as I loved it, otherwise you might hunt me down and force me to make chicken with horseradish cream sauce for you, which -- I swear -- I'll make now that you REMINDED me. (Thanks for the reminder! Really.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I was also "sold" by the fact that the two main characters are Audrey (the name of one of our cats) and Winnifred (the name of my crazy dog "Winnie"). Don't worry, there's only 10 bucks riding on you word...

Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie. Think I've mentioned it already on the forum somewhere but can't recommend it enough for fantasy-types
Okay, you made me curious and I looked it up. Not sure yet if I'll order it online, or head to the bookstore. What caught my attention in the Amazon review is that it said that at 800 plus pages, it was not too long. I just love books like that.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I was also "sold" by the fact that the two main characters are Audrey (the name of one of our cats) and Winnifred (the name of my crazy dog "Winnie"). Don't worry, there's only 10 bucks riding on you word...
It's like kismet!

(And if it's not, I'll make you $20 worth of chicken in horseradish cream sauce.)

I feel pressure!!! Ketabcha just ordered a copy today, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Okay, you made me curious and I looked it up. Not sure yet if I'll order it online, or head to the bookstore. What caught my attention in the Amazon review is that it said that at 800 plus pages, it was not too long. I just love books like that.
And you're not curious about my Canadian-authored book? Geez Louise!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It's like kismet!

(And if it's not, I'll make you $20 worth of chicken in horseradish cream sauce.)

I feel pressure!!! Ketabcha just ordered a copy today, too.

And you're not curious about my Canadian-authored book? Geez Louise!
I was going to look it up - I heard about it but generally I hate short books. I like books that will keep me occupied for a few days.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I was going to look it up - I heard about it but generally I hate short books. I like books that will keep me occupied for a few days.
It's like 400 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!! My gosh, you're a tough customer.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It's like 400 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!! My gosh, you're a tough customer.
I sorry! For some reason I got the impression it was a short, short book, like 100 pages - I just looked it up now on Amazon and I see that it is over 400 pages. I'm reading the reviews right now. I swear I'll order it.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I sorry! For some reason I got the impression it was a short, short book, like 100 pages - I just looked it up now on Amazon and I see that it is over 400 pages. I'm reading the reviews right now. I swear I'll order it.
It's not like I pressured you into it or anything though, right?

Now I'm in a bit of a panic. Ketabcha, TracySam, and possibly you are going to read it, based on my saying how fabulous it is. Please remember: it's not a mainstream book. It's quirky and funky and clever and charming, but it's not "your typical story." OK, OK, it's fabulous.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I actually read a few fiction books based on your recommendation, and so far, so good. Most recently it was Olive Kitteridge, which I think you mentioned. If not, someone else made a good suggestion!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I actually read a few fiction books based on your recommendation, and so far, so good. Most recently it was Olive Kitteridge, which I think you mentioned. If not, someone else made a good suggestion!
I read Olive Kitteridge, loved it, and talked about it here. So maybe it was me. I feel better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books