Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:33 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times

Advertisements

Let me add

A Wrinkle in Time by Madelyn L'engle

True, an old book and for young readers but it is as good as many written for adults today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Stephen King's 11/22/63. I had no idea it was a book about time travel until I started reading it. It's interesting the way King gets the reader to realize that altering time has ramifications that aren't previously considered.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Daphney du Maurier's two books House on the Strand, about her own house, and Green Darkness, about reincarnation and the lessons it gave. House on the Strand is true time travel, the end moment so memorable, and Green Darkness this wonderful modern eye view on a different, hard and terrrible time. I suppose they are both historical fiction, but they do what it should and transport you to the heart of another time so well.
Green Darkness was written by Anya Seton.

Green Darkness (Rediscovered Classics): Anya Seton: 9781556525766: Amazon.com: Books

Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
No Enemy But Time by Michael Bishop. I don't know if some of his other works deal with time travel.

Here's a link to a list of time travel books:

Best Time Travel Fiction (594 books)

Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,358 times
I wonder how many people have actually experienced something like that described in Replay,

Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As a librarian, I feel kinda funny asking for book suggestions on an internet forum - but even a doctor occasionally needs medical care, LOL. I could read some of my professional review sources or visit whatshouldireadnext.com, but really would prefer some PERSONAL recommendations from real people. Anyway, I absolutely love time travel-themed books, and just finished the excellent Replay by Ken Grimwood... now I'm trying to find something similar to read next. For those who aren't familiar with it, here's the synopsis from Amazon:

"Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

I've already read the obvious The Time Machine, and tried to read the popular Time Traveler's Wife and Time and Again, but just couldn't get into them. I also have 11/22/63 on my Kindle, but keep hearing it's a slow-paced story... and as much as I love Stephen King, I'm lacking the patience for 850p of plodding right now. Does anyone have another suggestion, whether it's classic or current? FYI, I'm not into the "Star Trek" or overly scientific type of sci-fi, if that makes any sense. TIA!
Chad Oliver's Mists of Dawn. He apparently wrote other time travel books but I have never read them

Andre Norton wrote a number of time travel books. Dont know if any are still in print.

You say you are not interested in Star Trek, Too bad. there are a number of time travel plots that are pretty good.

Time Bandits is a sucky movie IMHO

I always liked Millennium, with Kris Kristofferson, JMHO

Somewhere rattling 'round my brai is a real good time travel movie, but I cant get it to my tongue. I'll browse the thread. Maybe someone has named it.

Best wishes.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
Slaughterhouse Five!
Yep! Thanks for reminding me

Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
Erm.

To an extent, the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov is time-travel related. It's more the theory of, actually... and a tough read, but worth it.
Disagree completely. Future history, but not time travel at all.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Sorry, I realized that I meant Time after Time, the film about the use of a time machine to pursue Jack the Ripper into the 20th century. I don't think it was ever a book. (I just looked up Time and Again and there was a made-for-TV movie by that name which doesn't sound as if it's adapted from the book of the same title.)
This was a good one, movie that is. I likes the thing about fate, and I likes the twist ending.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 PM

Isaac Azimov's The End of Eternity, flawed as it is, I found to be a wonderful time travel book, especially as it is the root of all matter regarding the Foundation and Robot series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books