Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 04:38 PM

486 posts, read 831,972 times

Advertisements

Our timeline is the alternative timeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
The plot to your book is strangely like 11/22/63 without the dying aspect. I read it cover to cover and couldn't get enough. I'm not into time travel, but I thought King's book pretty much moved to the early 60's and stayed there. Excellent. I didn't like the ending so much, though. You just kind of have to watch for parallels and correlations throughout the book (sorta like Mad Men!).

No recommendations here, sorry - except that I think you will be interested no matter how long King's work is - I learned a LOT about that era as well, and a lot about Oswald and his plans...all historically based. I thought it was fascinating.
Totally agree with you. I really liked 11/22/63, but not so much the ending. I was really hoping for something different at the end.

As for recommendations, I'm sure you have heard of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. People either love it or hate it. I'm firmly in the love it column.

Another great time travel book is The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser. It may be out of print now, but you could probably find it at the library. This is the book that turned me into a book lover when I was in 6th grade. It was the first book geared towards adults I had ever read, and I loved it! Up to that point I was just reading books for school, but not really for pleasure.

The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser

EDIT: I just went back a few pages and realized the age of this thread and that I had already recommended these two books. I guess they're still on my mind after all this time.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Rollback by Robert J. Sawyer.

Amazon.com: Rollback (9780765349743): Robert J. Sawyer: Books

Not usually a genre I read, but my husband recommended it. I enjoyed the story, but the writing was pretty amateur.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:27 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
The Door into Summer by Heinlein
The "Company" series by Kage Baker
A Bridge of Years by Wilson
The Accidental Time Machine by Haldeman
Chronospace by Steele

Old 06-11-2014, 06:20 PM

950 posts, read 691,279 times
Maybe somebody can help me on this. I'm trying to find a time travel story I read 25 to 30 years ago. It was about school in a futuristic era. At that school, there is a History class which is taught in a very unusual way. That is, to authenticate what is taught, the teacher uses a time-travel machine to actually transport famous people from past history to speak in the class-room. As I recall vaguely, the teacher time-transported Napoleon and Cleopatra to the classroom. One particular scene that I remember is where Napoleon and Cleopatra argue as to who was or is the most famous. The story was quite clever at showing the individual idiosyncrasies of those historical personages. Does anybody else remember the title of this story? Because I want to retrieve it for my book-collection.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM

419 posts, read 465,680 times
Normally time travel books where the heroine goes back in time and falls for the knight/cowboy/viking, etc. are okay, but so incredibly predictable. I read "Once in Every Life" by Kristin Hannah and then re-read it, then re-read it, etc. I have read a couple of books twice, but this is the only book (and I read a ton) that I've read more than twice. Yes, the heroine goes back in time and falls madly in love with some guy . . . but she also deals with other issues confronting her in that time period that make this more interesting than the usual "time-travel" heroine.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:18 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
I just finished Dean Koontz's Elsewhere, in which the protagonist and his 11 year old daughter move between parallel universes that only vaguely resemble "Earth prime," where they start out. It was a page turner.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...ewhere-koontz/

Old 03-25-2021, 07:08 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I love good time travel books and always seek them out. My favorite of all time (so far) is The Time Traveler's Wife.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:33 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
A couple that I really liked:

Recursion, Blake Crouch

Dark Matter, Blake Crouch

Heard about this one and have it lined up to read leter: The Lathe of Heaven, Ursula K. Le Guin

_

Old 03-25-2021, 06:33 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
A couple that I really liked:

Recursion, Blake Crouch

Dark Matter, Blake Crouch

Heard about this one and have it lined up to read leter: The Lathe of Heaven, Ursula K. Le Guin

_
I've never read the Lathe of Heaven, but I've seen two different filmed versions and LOVED them. One of my favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books