Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

As mentioned,

Just Kids ~ Patti Smith, also

Mao's Last Dancer - Li Cunxin... interesting story of a young ballet dancer in China, very inspiring story.. I did meet him and have a signed copy.

Life - Keith Richards - really interesting, lengthy read... love the stones so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Just Kids by Patti Smith. It is an absolutely beautiful book, about her friendship with photographer and artist Robert Mapplethorpe. It's one of my favorite books, period.
I loved this book, one of those ones I just didn't want to end. She is a fantastic writer. I believe she is writing another book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
^ Patti Smith would be interesting. Have only heard a few of her songs, but sounds like she lived an interesting life!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 AM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Maybe Living Well is the Best Revenge, about Sara and Gerald Murphy, or Frederick Douglass' autobiography.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
hmm I liked Adam Walsh's biography ( I can't remember the name). It made me think that no matter how bad your life is you can come out with something good. I honestly do not know how he got through his child being murdered and other bad things that I don't want to mention...just in case someone wants to read it.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 AM

461 posts, read 796,403 times
Darrell Hammond - from SNL. Heartbreaking

Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
Darrell Hammond - from SNL. Heartbreaking
I'd never heard about it until now. I just read the synopsis (says nothing) and then scanned a few reviews (says a lot). I asked my library to order the Kindle version. Thank you!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The topic didn't seem to quite fit into anywhere. I didn't put it into 'celebs', because I wanted to include biographies of people who aren't that famous but have had an interesting experience, although related to books/literature it doesn't really fit into 'writing' because it's not about writing or the book. It's about how interesting you personally find the LIFE of that person, although a biography can make someone's life sound more or less interesting. It isn't history because it can include people who are still living.

So yeah, which person's life as captivated you, intrigued you, baffled you, shocked, horrified or inspired you the most?

While I haven't actually read any full-length biographies of many people (most musicians)...mine would be the unusual choice of a young gentleman from Sheffield, England called Joseph (incorrectly known as 'John' in the 1981 movie) Merrick, better known as the 'Elephant Man' for his physical deformities. The book was 'The True History of the Elephant Man.'

What interested me most was actually how he had such a sweet, innocent view of the world and attitude to other people, and also the fact I believe he was an extremely intelligent and gifted human being. Confined to a ward in the London Hospital, he built a scale model of a nearby Cathedral from only what he saw from his window - the model was amazing, it literally looked almost like the real thing. How he did it I don't know.

He overcame so much human cruelty, yet the friends he did have he treated so well. How he survived for as long as he did...I don't know. His life was so poetic, his death sort of was a tragic irony. He also maintained a childlike faith in the Lord, and an idealism in human nature which was quite humbling.

I admit my initial attraction to learning about him was the 'freak show' aspect. I saw the film first, in school when I was about 16, then shortly after that read the book, which sketched out the picture. I think the film actually did a decent job of it.

The True History of the Elephant Man: The Definitive Account of the Tragic ... - Peter Ford, Michael Howell - Google Books

The person I've read the MOST biographies about was Jim Morrison. I've read 3 different biographies, and a couple on the Doors, and they pretty much say the same things. Looking back, his life wasn't all that fascinating, but he inspired me to write poetry, music, and take up an interest in drugs and mysticism. I never actually took LSD or anything, but reading about the experiences and listening to a lot of Doors and other 60s musics I did want to!
I read Jim Morrison's story, too. It was powerful & fascinating. And I'm not a big Doors fan, either. The book was given to me- good reading.

I liked Bill Clinton's autobiography, as well. What an inspiration

The most inspirational autobiography, that I've read is by Naomi Judd--absolutely amazing story filled with stories of how they overcame so much. Everything they have achieved is from the faith that Naomi had; she was a single mom, in a small town w/ her two daughters. Working several jobs to survive, she knew they were meant for greatness. She literally took off and headed for a better life.
The rest is history

Man, this thread reminds me- I've got to find time to get back to reading

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Not exactly a biography, but Nikki Sixx's "The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star" was just messed on so many levels. It's truly amazing that guy is still sucking oxygen.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Father Damien, who went to live on a leper colony in Hawaii. He eventually caught the disease. He dedicated his life to his flock. It was an amazing story of a man's faith and works.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
These are autobiographies, but

"Bossy Pants" = Tina Fey.

I also really, really liked "Official Book Club Selection" by Kathy Griffin. Both are funny and touching and real. Oh, and most important - well-written!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books