U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,920,142 times

Advertisements

For medical thrillers, I'd suggest Tess Gerritsen. Start with "The Surgeon" and read the Rizzoli and Isles books. (I don't think Isles is in "The Surgeon" though.) I also like Greg Iles, Harlan Coban and Brian Freeman for the crime/mystery genre.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM

220 posts, read 234,621 times
I haven't read these yet, they're next on my list, after I finish re-reading the Harry Potter books for the 5th or 6th time, coincidentally, but I plan to read the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. They are mystery/suspense books, and my husband and father-in-law really liked them. They sound like they might be up your alley.

You might also want to try The Hunger Games trilogy.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:50 AM

297 posts, read 561,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
I'm trying to get back into reading. The last
Spoiler
book I read from start to finish
was the first Harry Potter book a few years ago, so I am kind of out of the loop on the newer titles.

I am looking for fiction, specifically science techno thrillers (i.e Jurassic Park), investigations/mysteries, legal thrillers (i.e John Grisham), medical thrillers, government scandals, airplanes/airlines (i.e Airframe)

Favorite books from my past include everything by Michael Crichton, Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal, A Time to Kill, anything by Robin Cook.

I would appreciate any recommendations. Thank you.

Check out J. D. Robb and her series about Eve Dallas, a most un-ladylike Lieutenant Cop. Set in 2050 NY city. And she's married to an ex-badboy rich guy. Loads of fun to read. Shocked down to my mukluks to find out she was Nora Roberts writing incognito. Action, murder, sex and mayhem!

Or J. R. Ward and her Black Dagger Brotherhood series...vampires on steroids.

W. E. B. Griffin (http://www.webgriffin.com/books). Several series: one on the Marine corps, the army, the OSS and Wild Bill Donovan, modern policemen & women, and one on presiential agents.

And I second Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games series. Captivating stories. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting much...afraid it would be more teen-age angst ala Stephanie Meyers but found I literally could not put the durned things down once I started!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,527,652 times
Empty Mile by Matthew Stokoe

Review from Amazon:

When Johnny Richardson returns to Oakridge he has one thing on his mind--correcting a terrible mistake that caused him to flee his hometown eight years ago. Revisiting the past, though, is a dark and dangerous game in small-town America. When a careless sexual episode leads to the suicide of the town’s first lady, Johnny finds himself the target of a revenge campaign that threatens to tear apart the fragile world he’s built among the gold-bearing mountains of Northern California.

Left an unexplained piece of land when his father mysteriously disappears, Johnny must unravel its secrets in a desperate bid to protect those he loves. But his efforts to do this have deadly consequences and will ultimately force him to confront not only his own failings, but the very nature of guilt.

A searing meditation on the futility of trying to right the wrongs of the past, Empty Mile blends elements of thrilling urban noir with the wide-open spaces of outdoor adventure in a story that reflects America’s contemporary uncertainty about itself.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 AM

15,894 posts, read 16,014,218 times
The books of Simon Beckett are probably right up your alley. They are medical thrillers. He has not written many books but the 4 or 5 that I have read have kept me glued to the pages.

Besides having interesting storylines the characters are very real. I like his books a lot.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 PM

578 posts, read 1,173,091 times
For medical thrillers, look for Michael Palmer.

For some really good techno-thrillers, check out the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry.

Another vote for the Hunger Games trilogy.

For thrillers with a horror bent, look for the Repairman Jack books by F. Paul Wilson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or