Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:23 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

I have way too many books (almost all nonfiction) so I think I might breakdown and buy a Kindle but I was reading that when you download books they come with other people's highlighting as to what they think is important? UGH! Who wants that? If you are going to get a book like that it should be sold as Used.

My question is how easy is it to get rid of the highlighting? Is it one touch of something and the entire book is wiped clean of highlighting or do you have to do it on every page or worse, can you not get rid of it at all? I looked at their web page and it seems to only address people who want to do public highlighting and people who want to see it and updates. I don't want to receive my Kindle books highlighted at all but I'll put up with it if there is only one thing for me to touch to make them disappear from the entire book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
One setting change (don't ask me which one, I don't remember -- but you'll find it) and you won't see the highlighting and stuff on ANY book.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM

407 posts, read 1,558,930 times
I've had a kindle for more than five years and I've never seen a highlight on one of my books. I searched in the Kindle forum and found the following:

Click Menu/Settings/Popular Highlights/Turn Off.

The option is turned on by default.

I have to admit that I love not carting books all over the place. I still buy some real books, but not nearly as many as before. The added bonus is if you get bored with one, you can easily flip to another... and sitting in airport lounges or waiting in line... you can shop the Kindle store and get free samples to see if there is anything else interesting.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I have never bought a kindle ebook that had highlighting in it....

Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I have no highlighting on any books. I must say, this is the best purchase I have ever made. I love my Kindle. Drawback? You can't read during take off and landing on the plane...flight attendant made me turn it off.

I will never buy another book. I already have 400 books on my Kindle...and spend way too much on Amazon now...

I have downloaded all the classics...free reads....I have my choice of my entire library now...in my hands....love it.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I never thought I'd like it, but I do love my Kindle II. I have seen highlighting in some of my Kindle books, but since it seems to just be a line under the highlighted section, I hardly notice it. It hasn't interfered with my reading or my enjoyment.

There is a function in the Home menu under Settings that will allow you to turn the Popular Highlights function off.

It's so nice to go on vacation without a big ol' bag of books to lug along. I can sit on the beach and read. The only danger is a the possibility of a seagull 'bomb" landing on my screen. Thus far, this hasn't happened, but I did lose half a sandwich to one of those greedy birds - and got a bite on my finger in the bargain. And my son got "bombed" walking on the boardwalk.

I don't spend a lot of my money on books, because there are tons of freebies, and many many less-than-$5.00 books. And I can always count on a couple of Amazon gift cards under my Christmas tree.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 PM

270 posts, read 488,115 times
I haven't found highlighting in any new kindle books that I've bought, but ones I borrow from the library do have highlights...I need to find the setting to turn it off because I do hate that too! I don't understand the point anyway! I've never been one to go back and re-read a part in a book (and would NEVER highlight in a paper book!).

Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I have never seen any highlighting in my Kindle books. This is one of the best things I have ever bought. I fought it for a long time because I loved paper books so much but the Kindle has changed the way I do things. I love it beyond reason.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
I've never seen any highlighting in any of my Kindle books either. I love it that I can enlarge the font.

Biggest drawback to ebooks that I have found is that illustrations i.e. photographs, are not all that clear and they are smaller than they would be in a real book--plus all in black and white and any accompanying text is usually very small. Also, you can't flip back and forth between footnoted passages and the Appendix.

Otherwise, a Kindle is a great way to store and carry with you an entire library. Especially nice to take along on a trip.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
When I went from a Kindle 1 to the Kindle 3 (now called the "Kindle Keyboard"), I went from no highlights to a ton of them. As someone mentioned above, it was a simple change in the Settings menu to turn it off. It probably took me less than 5 minutes to find the setting once I went looking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books