U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM

15,894 posts, read 16,018,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I take best sellers with a grain of salt. If it's something like The Hunger Games series, which is on a topic I always find fascinating (dystopian societies) I'll give it a try. Twilight, 50 Shades, Killing Lincoln, etc no thanks.
One thing (of many) I do appreciate about amazon is they do tend to know my preferences.

I read almost every genre there is and I pay close attention to what Dawn, Netwit, Marlow and Jess5, plus others, say about books they are reading. Easily more than 50% of the books I have read since joining CD are books that are discussed in this forum.

One person wrote of a book about a dystopian world where people lived on huge floating machines. Entire towns lived on these things and the machines floated around looking for other machines they could "eat." By "eat" I mean absorb. Well, I laughed at that idea but I read the book anyway and it was actually very good.

I read nearly all the time. No lie. This is particularly true since I retired 5 years ago and a value the opinions of so many of you that I get excited when a new book is mentioned.

Thank you all for that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM

9,238 posts, read 20,085,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This is why I read professional reviews - like in the New York Times book review - which at least are broad and coherent, rather than opinions from random people.

Except if you are talking books in the nonfiction/ current affairs realm. Then you need to take into consideration the NY Times' extremely biased political opinions. For fiction, I'm right there with you.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,708,615 times
Ketabcha! I'm sorry! I didn't mean YOUR reviews in YOUR newspaper!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,399,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
As far as Amazon reviews go, I read the 5-star and the 1-star.
I tend to ignore 5-star and 1-star reviews and read the in between reviews. The one-stars tend to say "This book is junk!" which isn't helpful, even when I sort of agree (for instance, IMO, "Twilight" is badly written junk).

Also remember that people use the ratings system differently - 5 stars may mean "yeah, I liked this book, I thought it was overall pretty good" or it may mean "this is the best thing ever written." 1 star may mean it's a very bad book on all counts or that it was the type of book that the reviewer didn't like and isn't a bad book per se.

I also tend to check the reviewers - how many reviews does this person have? What other books have they reviewed and have they reviewed a book that I've already read?

There are a couple of other places (GoodReads, for instance), that I browse looking for something new.

I do like Amazon reviews, though - it really isn't that hard to see when the reviews have been gamed and I frequently find reviews that are helpful.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,921,913 times
I don't read reviews in general. Sometimes I don't even read a full post here on books I may be interested in. I choose the books I read based on the description of the book on the cover of the book. Although, I will admit I've selected books based on Dawn's advice.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 PM

9,238 posts, read 20,085,119 times
I used to actually like the reviews in "Book" magazine, which I think was published by Barnes & Noble. I don't think the magazine exists anymore, but I picked so many little-known books because of reviews in that magazine that turned out to be really excellent. "Book" didn't focus on any one genre, and it didn't spend too much time on famous best-sellers. The reviews even got me out of my usual comforts zones and trying books that belonged to genres I'd thought I had no interest in. Do any of you know of a similar magazine, either online or paper-based?

My to-be-read pile is already high, but I'm always looking for more good sources of recommendations.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,708,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I don't read reviews in general. Sometimes I don't even read a full post here on books I may be interested in. I choose the books I read based on the description of the book on the cover of the book. Although, I will admit I've selected books based on Dawn's advice.
Thanks! Nothing like a little pressure to make sure that I keep doing good work!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:34 PM

15,894 posts, read 16,018,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Ketabcha! I'm sorry! I didn't mean YOUR reviews in YOUR newspaper!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I know that, silly rabbit.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:49 PM

6,038 posts, read 7,046,465 times
I pay a limited amount of attention to Amazon reviews and a lot of attention to NYT etc book reviews. What I'll do if there's a book on Amazon with good or mixed reviews, is google "real" reviews. That's a bit of help in sorting out the trashy books.

I do tend to avoid the bestsellers, at least until the frenzy dies down. I don't know why I do that but I do. And sometimes later I'll pick up a bestseller and look at it to see if I might be interested.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,921,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Thanks! Nothing like a little pressure to make sure that I keep doing good work!
No pressure - you're doing an excellent job, and while it may seem like you are perfect, I'm willing to accept the possiblity that you are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or