U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,708,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
No pressure - you're doing an excellent job, and while it may seem like you are perfect, I'm willing to accept the possiblity that you are not.
Possibility? Hahahahaha!! Oh, it's absolutely CERTAIN that I'm not perfect. I promise you that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,921,913 times
Hey! Don't burst my bubble!!! I'm so excited to have someone other than my sister recommend books to me that I've actually very much enjoyed and want to save and re-read someday. I don't have any friends who are such voracious readers as myself, so it's a most wonderful thing.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,708,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Hey! Don't burst my bubble!!! I'm so excited to have someone other than my sister recommend books to me that I've actually very much enjoyed and want to save and re-read someday. I don't have any friends who are such voracious readers as myself, so it's a most wonderful thing.
That's what I love about this forum too! I've learned of so many books -- ones that I'd never know of otherwise -- and I love that!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,921,913 times
Me too!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:29 PM

995 posts, read 960,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh! When I see "best seller" I usually just turn away and look for another book. I find that most best sellers are duds, at least for me. "Popular" does not usually equal "good" in my books (no pun intended).

Thanks! I hope to keep my perfect record for you!
I worked at Borders til the end. Imo...those bestseller racks were filled with whichever books the chains ordered an excess quantity of, and for whatever reason (their pricing with the publisher, etc) they were unable to return them for credit.
So they stayed on our Bestseller racks for months. And if they did disappear for a few weeks, we could pretty much expect them back sooner or later.
There were titles in our stockroom that we had 75-100 copies of, taking their rotation on that #4 or #7 slot, with only the sales % off stickers changing.

As far as personally reading bestsellers...no. I've found a lot of authors early in their careers, and still read their later books only because they'd become must-buys for me a long time before.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,510,648 times
A feature that may help you in this situation are the user lists. When I don't know what to read next, I sometimes go to the Amazon page for a book I know I love, and see if there are any links in the margins to user-compiled lists that included this book. Then I go to that list and see what else they recommend. If the list is full of other books that I have read and enjoyed, but there are a few I have never read, it's a pretty safe bet that I will enjoy them, too.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,691,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Whether on Amazon, or wherever, I have to keep reminding myself that a 5-star review (even if it’s based on thousands of reviews) is not necessarily a 5-star book for ME.

You know when Amazon suggests books for you? Or when you’re just “window shopping” online to see what’s out there that may interest you? And you see one that ----- oh my God! 47,782 people can’t be wrong! This must be the best book EVER if they are ALL giving it 4 or 5 stars!!! I must read this book immediately! Or the world will fall apart! Maybe I should order several copies?!

And then I take a breath.

What I have to remind myself is this: Those 47,782 already like the horror or romance or sci-fi or whatever genre. It’s obviously a great book within that genre, for those people, because that’s the type of book that they already enjoy. But that doesn’t mean that I’m going to like it, especially if I don’t go for horror or romance or sci-fi or whatever.

Note to self: One reviewer’s trash is another reviewer’s treasure. And vice versa.
I concur.

I long ago decided to admit to myself and others that my tastes are not always convergent with those of other people and that it is better for me to simply follow my "gut instinct" .

I used to feel almost guilty that I would buy a very popular book and hate it and then think myself somehow deficient for not "getting it". Then one day I realised that life is too short and that we all have different criteria and tastes and thus 20 Million people can indeed be wrong ... for me anyway !

Reading is supposed to be fun and enjoyable at the end of the day. For example I spent years trying to get into Jane Austen and not finding it that good and being almost too embarassed to admit it as it is such an admission of literary guilt but recently I came out of the closet , I don't like Jane Austen, I don't get it, Yes I am "*****" not liking her and not ashamed anymore , get used to it !

Five star reviews and literary prizes mean absolutely nothing. There has to be a chemistry between you and books and all the literary critiques and critics in the world are never going to make me appreciate Jame Joyce's "Ulysses". I don't care anymore if everyone knows it and shall no longer subject myself to the torture of mind blowingly dull ( to me) books simply because thousands rave that it is their favourites.

I have just finished reading Barbara Trapido's "Brother of the more Famous Jack" which was apparently raved about by millions of people, was a huge commercial success and is revered by many of my book club members and I found it the trashiest, most pretentious bit of crap I had read in a long time. Incredibly easy to read and not in a good way. I found it vaccuous, vapid, superficial, tedious and beyond over-rated. I guess I am in the minority ! Meh ! Who cares ?!?!

Books offer a deeply personal adventure, like films and plays , we as readers experience them in completely different ways so in a way it is always difficult to gauge what a book will be like by reading a review. Even a close friend will often be completely at odds with your literary tastes.

You have to click with a book and I am fairly convinced there is such a myriad of variants forming and informing our tastes and preferences in books that it is going to more often than not be impossible to predict what is right for someone else.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,266,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
A feature that may help you in this situation are the user lists. When I don't know what to read next, I sometimes go to the Amazon page for a book I know I love, and see if there are any links in the margins to user-compiled lists that included this book. Then I go to that list and see what else they recommend. If the list is full of other books that I have read and enjoyed, but there are a few I have never read, it's a pretty safe bet that I will enjoy them, too.
I do that too. Or look at the "buyers of this book also bought xxx" list. After reading books since I was 4 years old I know what I like and what will not work for me. Thankfully there are still authors out there willing to take a chance and supply me with my fixes on a monthly basis .

Mooseketeer: Amen sister! I've lost count the number of times I've read or seen something everyone else has raved about and said, "You simply MUST . . ." and absolutely hated it. And the only Booker prize winner I've ever attempted to read was Wolf Hall (you know the joke about how if it wins the prize, then the book must be utterly unintelligible?).

And one more thing: on the very rare occasion I post a review on Amazon I do try very hard to make it intelligent, constructive and explanatory. I hate those one-sentence reviews where someone types, "Great book, I really loved it." Yeah? And? WHY?!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM

13,036 posts, read 22,691,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I do that too. Or look at the "buyers of this book also bought xxx" list. After reading books since I was 4 years old I know what I like and what will not work for me. Thankfully there are still authors out there willing to take a chance and supply me with my fixes on a monthly basis .

Mooseketeer: Amen sister! I've lost count the number of times I've read or seen something everyone else has raved about and said, "You simply MUST . . ." and absolutely hated it. And the only Booker prize winner I've ever attempted to read was Wolf Hall (you know the joke about how if it wins the prize, then the book must be utterly unintelligible?).

And one more thing: on the very rare occasion I post a review on Amazon I do try very hard to make it intelligent, constructive and explanatory. I hate those one-sentence reviews where someone types, "Great book, I really loved it." Yeah? And? WHY?!
"Wolf Hall" ?!?! I hear you Darling, I found it quite dull and really pretentious.

Fortunately I just missed having to re-read it for my book-club as I joined a couple of months after. Thank Heaven's Cherubims for that one ! I so much prefer CJ Sansom's books but was put down badly by a couple of book club members for even suggesting this fact. Apparently these are simply not in the "same league" and "anyone with an ounce of taste and literary understanding could see this" !!! "My "League" is better than yours you snooty cow" was the retort I muttered silently to myself that evening.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 AM

9,395 posts, read 14,718,968 times
I rarely read bestsellers - everyone in my family is pushing me to read Hunger Games but I have NO interest in it whatsoever. I may have to read the first book to shut them up. I tend to only read historical fiction and history books anymore. Occasionally a book from those genres becomes a bestseller, like Wolf Hall, but I was not impressed with Wolf Hall. However, there are also other books which are bestsellers within a specific genre and some of those I have enjoyed. I think finding your niche in what genres you like is the key to finding books you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or