Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times

Advertisements

I frequently travel for work, and I have started listening to recorded books while I drive.

The recorded books are fairly expensive and my library doesn't have a very extensive collection. So I am looking for suggestions, what are some of your favorite recorded books?

And I apologize if there is a already a thread for recorded books, I searched and didn't find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
I listen to them all the time in the car but I get mine from the library. Does your library belong to a consortium where you can get more titles from other locations?

Without knowing what your taste is, the ones that I've particularly enjoyed are Wolf Hall, Killing Rommel, Imperium and Conspirata, The Elegance of the Hedgehog and The Cellist of Sarajevo.

Do NOT get the Flavia de Luce books on CD. The actress/reader is appallingly bad.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,691 times
I get mine from the public library - I have cards for both San Bernardino County and Yavapai County (in AZ) - both have good selections of books - I loved Dan Brown's Angels & Demons and The Davinci Code - I have also listened to Dana Stabenow (Kate Sugak novels) - currently listening to Martha Grimes - Dust. I drive between AZ/CA most weekends and couldn't do it without my audio books.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
Carol Burnett put out a memoir recently called "This Time Together," and she's the reader on this recorded version.
A mix of touching pieces and hilarious pieces. I really enjoyed it. But if you're not a Carol Burnett fan, well, I guess you'll pass on this!

I don't read a lot of biographies, but I find it's always better to have them read by the person himself or herself.

I like humorist Tom Bodett's stuff, too. He's the one who does the radio commercials for Motel 6 ("We'll leave the light on for you"). If you can find his "Small Comforts" on CD...

Old 06-13-2012, 04:10 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,691 times
Thanks for the ideas persnicketygal - I will see if my library has either of those - I love Tom Bodett when he is in NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and have loved Carol Burnett since I was a little girl watching her show with my mom and sisters.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 PM

1,738 posts, read 767,738 times
I listen to Audio Books at work. Depends on what type of books you like. I like a variety of different type. Some of them that I have really liked were - Twilight Series, Succubus Series (Georgina Kincaid) by Richelle Mead, The Hunger Games Series, The Help, The Travis Family series by Lisa Kleypas (the 2nd book in that series Blue Eyed Devil was my favorite in that series). If you like sweet books/stories another series is The Fools Gold series. Those are good as well.

As for where you can get different audio books cheaper, besides the library and 2nd Hand Bookstores, Crackle Barrel used to rent audio books at one time. That last I remember hearing about it was several years ago, but you could check and see if they still do.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
I love audiobooks! Besides listening to kids' books on tape when we traveled, the first audiobook I listened to was 'Room' by Emma Donoghue. I was spellbound! And hooked on them since then.

Our library has a program where you can download audible books & ebooks. I'm also a member of Audible.com, there's a small break in pricing if you join.

I listened to 'Eat, Pray, Love' after reading it numerous times, and got even more out of hearing it. It's a very different experience, listening rather than reading.

I loooved the Jackson Brodie mysteries by Kate Atkinson, and I'm not usually a mystery reader. I started with the last one, 'Started Early, Took My Dog' and fell in love with the character and writing, then went back & listened to all of her books.

I also enjoy listening to self-help books, like 'Radical Acceptance' by Tara Brach and 'The Big Leap' by Gay Hendricks. They're great when I'm washing dishes.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times
Do a search for "audiobooks" or "audio books," there are some threads here.

I looked at your profile and if your zip code is still the same, found your library. It participates in the Overdrive Downloadable Audiobooks system - you just need a library card number and you can download audiobooks, as well as ebooks, from home. Here is the link: Carmel Clay Public Library: Downloadable Collection

Without knowing your taste in books, it is hard to recommend anything. One of my favorite narrators is Susan Ericksen, who narrates the J. D. Robb "In Death" series, which is a fun crime/mystery/romance series. Some audiobooks in your library that I liked are: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer, "The Terror" by Dan Simmons, "Caleb's Crossing" and "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks, "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides, "24 Hours" by Greg Iles and "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
I like to listen to audio books while driving, but I've learned to be careful in my selections. if a book is too gripping, I think it's a lot like texting while driving as a mental distraction, so I usually go for a history book, a biography, or something that won't take my mind off the job at hand.

I worked in a shop where earmuffs were required for a lot of the jobs, and the company found a supplier of muffs that had a built-in radio. One of the workers in my section, who didn't need the muffs but liked to listen to audio books, bought a very low-powered transmitter that allowed him to listen to audio books and CD lectures on various subjects, and a lot of us tuned in to his stuff. It was pretty cool to listen to something other than the usual radio material.

I still use my radio muffs when I'm mowing the lawn. I'm too cheap to buy an iPod, but I should. iTunes offers a lot of spoken word material now.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 PM

251 posts, read 950,596 times
Like others have suggested check out your local library's website for downloadable audiobooks. You may have to download some software then you can download books straight to an ipod, mp3 player or in some cases to cd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books