U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 AM

17,336 posts, read 28,728,469 times

Advertisements

Whether on Amazon, or wherever, I have to keep reminding myself that a 5-star review (even if it’s based on thousands of reviews) is not necessarily a 5-star book for ME.

You know when Amazon suggests books for you? Or when you’re just “window shopping” online to see what’s out there that may interest you? And you see one that ----- oh my God! 47,782 people can’t be wrong! This must be the best book EVER if they are ALL giving it 4 or 5 stars!!! I must read this book immediately! Or the world will fall apart! Maybe I should order several copies?!

And then I take a breath.

What I have to remind myself is this: Those 47,782 already like the horror or romance or sci-fi or whatever genre. It’s obviously a great book within that genre, for those people, because that’s the type of book that they already enjoy. But that doesn’t mean that I’m going to like it, especially if I don’t go for horror or romance or sci-fi or whatever.

Note to self: One reviewer’s trash is another reviewer’s treasure. And vice versa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,272,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Whether on Amazon, or wherever, I have to keep reminding myself that a 5-star review (even if it’s based on thousands of reviews) is not necessarily a 5-star book for ME.

You know when Amazon suggests books for you? Or when you’re just “window shopping” online to see what’s out there that may interest you? And you see one that ----- oh my God! 47,782 people can’t be wrong! This must be the best book EVER if they are ALL giving it 4 or 5 stars!!! I must read this book immediately! Or the world will fall apart! Maybe I should order several copies?!

And then I take a breath.

What I have to remind myself is this: Those 47,782 already like the horror or romance or sci-fi or whatever genre. It’s obviously a great book within that genre, for those people, because that’s the type of book that they already enjoy. But that doesn’t mean that I’m going to like it, especially if I don’t go for horror or romance or sci-fi or whatever.

Note to self: One reviewer’s trash is another reviewer’s treasure. And vice versa.

Very true! And must remember not to take it personally when other readers do not (gasp!) agree with me. Just because someone actually liked Into The Woods does not make them a dribbling idiot .

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Very true! And must remember not to take it personally when other readers do not (gasp!) agree with me. Just because someone actually liked Into The Woods does not make them a dribbling idiot .
LOL!!!! Would you like me if I told you that I never even heard of that book?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM

4,308 posts, read 12,272,341 times
Quote:
LOL!!!! Would you like me if I told you that I never even heard of that book?
Congratulations!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM

9,238 posts, read 20,100,045 times
Also keep in mind that the "top sellers" aren't necesarily good books (see the top 4 on Amazon today--ugh).

I'm not really a band-wagon jumper with much of anything (I never watched American Idol, I could not pick Justin Bieber out of a line-up, etc) so don't get taken in by top sellers or things that a bunch of drones gave 5 stars to.

And I am careful with whose reviews of books I trust. For example, Oprah: about 50/50 with me. DandJ: 100% spot-on so far!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Also keep in mind that the "top sellers" aren't necesarily good books (see the top 4 on Amazon today--ugh).

I'm not really a band-wagon jumper with much of anything (I never watched American Idol, I could not pick Justin Bieber out of a line-up, etc) so don't get taken in by top sellers or things that a bunch of drones gave 5 stars to.

And I am careful with whose reviews of books I trust. For example, Oprah: about 50/50 with me. DandJ: 100% spot-on so far!
Oh! When I see "best seller" I usually just turn away and look for another book. I find that most best sellers are duds, at least for me. "Popular" does not usually equal "good" in my books (no pun intended).

Thanks! I hope to keep my perfect record for you!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM

11,446 posts, read 10,463,791 times
This is why I read professional reviews - like in the New York Times book review - which at least are broad and coherent, rather than opinions from random people.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This is why I read professional reviews - like in the New York Times book review - which at least are broad and coherent, rather than opinions from random people.
Exactly! There are a select few reviewers that I trust. The New York Times definitely leads the list of them.

Random readers who post reviews on Amazon? I don't care what they have to say.

Nor do I care what People magazine, Glamour magazine, or some dinky local newspaper says.

But worse than those are the other authors who have their "fabulous book!!!!" blurbs posted on the back of someone else's book. They say that because they're friends with the author. It's ridiculous, really.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:05 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,803,474 times
Quote:
Exactly! There are a select few reviewers that I trust. The New York Times definitely leads the list of them.

Random readers who post reviews on Amazon? I don't care what they have to say.

Nor do I care what People magazine, Glamour magazine, or some dinky local newspaper says.

But worse than those are the other authors who have their "fabulous book!!!!" blurbs posted on the back of someone else's book. They say that because they're friends with the author. It's ridiculous, really.
It's really sad when you don't even recognize the names and you know the other authors are just in their writing group or something.

I try to stick to big newspaper reviews and other literary reviews but even then I don't always agree.

As far as Amazon reviews go, I read the 5-star and the 1-star. If the 1-star people sound like people I might like, I figure I won't like the book. If they sound like people I wouldn't like, I might give the book a try. As I posted recently, I loved The Passage by Justin Cronin. When I read its 1-star reviews I thought the people just sounded sort of stupid and like they couldn't put in the effort to figure out what was going on later in the book.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM

28,192 posts, read 22,069,663 times
I take best sellers with a grain of salt. If it's something like The Hunger Games series, which is on a topic I always find fascinating (dystopian societies) I'll give it a try. Twilight, 50 Shades, Killing Lincoln, etc no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or