Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times

Advertisements

I'm big on rereading. I've read most of Leon Uris's book more than once.

I have several books by different authors that I reread often. When I need to decompress with something familiar I will reread one of my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 AM

289 posts, read 569,597 times
Currently re-reading Sharon Sala's "Out of the Dark" for what is probably the 7th time. I re-read all the time. Most times I'll just skim the book instead of completely re-reading it. But there are times when I am just stuck in the book(s) I am reading & I'll lay them down for a time & re-read an old favorite or 2 & then I'll pick up the book(s) I was stuck on again & complete them with no problems.

That's what has happened this time. I was just dragging through the Vampire Diaries series while reading book 6 of 9 & just can't complete that 6th book to move on the the other 3. So I put it down & read a couple of new books that came out in some other series I am reading & now I am re-reading an old favorite & will try picking up the VD books again soon when I am done.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
I've always been big on re-reading, even though I'm always reading new books too. I think of many books as old friends and I like to go back and visit them once in a while.

With a fiction book with a very complicated or multi-layered, many-textured plot, re-reading often reveals little things I had not picked up on the first time. This is also true of non-fiction that's about something philosophical rather than merely factual. A lot of philosophy continues to reveal more of itself in small doses the more you read it and think about it.

With some books, reading them again at different stages of life sheds new light on them. You also find yourself identifying with different characters depending on where you're at in life. The characters you might have idolized or respected in your teens and 20s might slightly amuse you in your 30s, and pi$$ you off in your 40s. You also find new respect for the older characters you didn't quite "get" when you were younger and had less life experience.

Some books, I just read for familiarity & reminiscence. Like watching a movie over & over. I like getting to those lines I know by heart, and those scenes I've re-visited in my head many times.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 PM

220 posts, read 282,574 times
I don't do too much re-reading, although it's not because I disapprove of re-reading, it's just because there are so many books out there that I'd like to read for the first time. However, I've re-read my favorites, Pride and Prejudice and the Harry Potter books, many times. In fact, I'm halfway through the 7th Harry Potter book right now - the series is such a comfort for me.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:40 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
i dont re-read many books, but there have been special ones over the years (both stand alone and series) that i just so enjoy the characters that i want to vist them over and over. Same as a good movie--yes you know the ending, but if it was that enjoyable a ride why not watch it again?

Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,370,794 times
I don't re read. I never have read a book more than once. I'm like midge. There are way too many books out there that I would like to be able to read once! I'll never catch up! I'm the same way with movies.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:49 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
I re-read some books. I'm a big fan of Rick Bragg; his books on his family's history are so full of vivid description that I have read them several times. When I re-read, I sometimes just go to the parts I either didn't catch the first time, or the parts I enjoyed the most.
Right now, I am re-reading Moby Dick for the 3rd time, just a chapter or two at the most, and often with several days of no reading at all, and I'm enjoying the book more than I did when I was 14 and read it for the first time.

Before I began it this time, I read other material that was about the times and the whaling industry over the years, and that gave me a much deeper perspective on Moby Dick. And as I aged, I had read other books that gave me clues as to the period slang Melville used, and ways of writing, description and speech in Melville's day that have become extinct today. The background stuff has really helped increase my enjoyment of the book.

Watching the latest movie version of Moby Dick was what prompted me to go buy a copy and read it again. There have been at least 3 film adaptations of the book that I've seen, and none of them has come close to the book in my estimation. To read Moby Dick is to submerge one's self in another world and time. It reminds me of Shakespeare this time around.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Because there are not enough good books coming out to satisfy my voracious reading appetite, I have to reread all the time.

Thank god I have a ton of reread-worthy books!!!!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,370,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I re-read some books. I'm a big fan of Rick Bragg; his books on his family's history are so full of vivid description that I have read them several times. When I re-read, I sometimes just go to the parts I either didn't catch the first time, or the parts I enjoyed the most.
Right now, I am re-reading Moby Dick for the 3rd time, just a chapter or two at the most, and often with several days of no reading at all, and I'm enjoying the book more than I did when I was 14 and read it for the first time.

Before I began it this time, I read other material that was about the times and the whaling industry over the years, and that gave me a much deeper perspective on Moby Dick. And as I aged, I had read other books that gave me clues as to the period slang Melville used, and ways of writing, description and speech in Melville's day that have become extinct today. The background stuff has really helped increase my enjoyment of the book.

Watching the latest movie version of Moby Dick was what prompted me to go buy a copy and read it again. There have been at least 3 film adaptations of the book that I've seen, and none of them has come close to the book in my estimation. To read Moby Dick is to submerge one's self in another world and time. It reminds me of Shakespeare this time around.
I'm reading All Over but the Shouting right now! I just started it, and I'll be reading all of his (Rick Bragg) books. Next is Ava's Man. Which ones did you like best?
The reason you re read books is the only reason I see for doing that. I read Siddartha when I was about 13, and I've thought about reading that again because I would understand it more now. A lot of people had to read books in high school that they want to read when they become adults. I understand that.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
The one book I constantly reread is To Kill A Mockingbird. That is my favorite book of all the ones I have ever read.

Sometimes I just need to read about Atticus Finch. He, of the pure soul, is my all time favorite fictional character. I love that man and Gregory Peck absolutely nailed it in the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books