U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,226,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I would love to read some "horror" books, if someone could recommend some really good ones. I like psychological suspense books. I've read nearly all of the books tulani posted. Pet Sematary was the only one that was horrifying to me. I have American Psycho, but I haven't read it. Cujo is one of my favorite books. I've read that some people have said that House of Leaves is the only scary book they have read. I think we've just read so much, that we've probably experienced everything more than once, and it's no longer scary to us.

Every time I think about ordering House of Leaves, I think that it sounds too complicated for what I want right now, but, if any of you have read it and recommend it, I may have to change my mind.
Stephen King's It scared the crap out of me - in a good kind of way... well except I watched my sink drains for a while afterward.
Dream Catcher is another that is suspense/horror. I love reading this one again and again.

I enjoy horror movies, but would rather read the book.

Dean Koontz and Robin Cook might be another couple authors to check out. RC writes mostly medical thrillers with a lot of suspense. DK writes about a lot of subjects and I am currently trying to collect all his books.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 05:16 AM

4,061 posts, read 8,993,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyrhydyr View Post
Try One Second After by William R. Forstchen. In today's world of terrorism this is a horrific - and all too realistic - read. If you prefer haunting thrillers, check out John Connolly. I recommend Every Dead Thing, followed by Dark Hollow and White Road. For a more personal, psychological horror, try Greg Iles' Blood Memory and Dead Sleep.
Thank you for mentioning Greg Iles-for a non-horror writer, some of his books scare me, like Mortal Fear the first time I read it. He is a southern writer, from Natchez, Mississippi and you almost feel like you are there. His entire collection is great. Recently, he was in a bad car accident and had to have his leg amputated.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:41 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,774,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Stephen King's It scared the crap out of me - in a good kind of way... well except I watched my sink drains for a while afterward.
Dream Catcher is another that is suspense/horror. I love reading this one again and again.

I enjoy horror movies, but would rather read the book.

Dean Koontz and Robin Cook might be another couple authors to check out. RC writes mostly medical thrillers with a lot of suspense. DK writes about a lot of subjects and I am currently trying to collect all his books.
I don't care for DK. I think most of his books hold such promise, and could be so much better than they are. I find his books to be too predictable. I've read RC too, but they aren't scary. I think I've read so much, I'm just jaded.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:42 PM

11,376 posts, read 10,429,984 times
Thank you! It's always been a mystery why people read/watch horror. You'd think they could just read about North Korea or something instead.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,226,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I don't care for DK. I think most of his books hold such promise, and could be so much better than they are. I find his books to be too predictable. I've read RC too, but they aren't scary. I think I've read so much, I'm just jaded.
I agree. However, I think both authors are too predictable. I can always figure out RC's plots long before he reveals it. They aren't scary, but some (more than others) have enough suspense to keep one reading.
I will admit I will only read RC if I have nothing else to read.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:11 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,807,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
I've often wondered about the attraction to horror novels. I know some people will go so far as to call them suspense novels, and while they definitely are suspenseful if there is killing and gore, IMO it's horror. Call it what you will, I'm interested as to why people enjoy reading this genre.
Frankly, I enjoy the suspense of what, when, and how the protagonist (sometimes), antagonist, and minor characters will meet their end. Some people enjoy the fantasy of love, romance, and sex. I enjoy the fantasy of death, as long as it's purely fantasy. The more fantastic, the better. There are times when gore is necessary. However, it's very much overused. There are rare times when excessive gore work to a story's advantage, but it does happen.

Why do some people enjoy romance books? High fantasy? Thrillers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Thank you! It's always been a mystery why people read/watch horror. You'd think they could just read about North Korea or something instead.
You know, just because a person enjoys reading horror novels and watching horror movies, doesn't mean that they're interested in reading, seeing, and/or hearing about real atrocities. One of the sickest things I've ever watched was a documentary on HBO about parents who mutilated their children because they feared that they were witches/warlocks. I lasted about 10 minutes, then had to flip to a cartoon, to get out of that frame of mind. Yet, I've watched all kinds of horror movies; American, foreign, and "video nasties" of the 80's, and enjoyed many of them.

Honestly, some of the things that people do in real life are much sicker than what we imagine, even in our worst dreams.

Last edited by anadyr21; 06-30-2012 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 PM

18,527 posts, read 22,336,240 times
Fear and wonder are two of our most primal emotions, and no other genre hits those nerves like Horror when it is done well.

And "when it is done well" is the key. Too many so-called horror writers simply rely on violence and gore, which rarely triggers fear so much as revulsion.

"Wonder" I would describe as that emotion that makes you go, "Wow! Check that out!"

"Fear" is very close to that. It's more of a, "Wow! Run!"

Horror stories offer you a key to those emotions in a safe way. Sure it's escapism. Most stories are. It's a way to be scared safely.

If I want to get REALLY scared I just watch the news.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:58 AM

260 posts, read 409,378 times
Like MarkS said it's a way to be scared safely..like going on a roller coaster or something.
For me it's pure escapism. It's fun to read about scary stuff that is made up. I tend to avoid reading about real life horrors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books