U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:21 PM

36,914 posts, read 38,366,309 times

Advertisements

Okay, put your book-related gripes here . None too small or too big. I'll go first.

1. Autobiographies before their time - Marco Rubio has one out now. I'm thinking the biggest things in his future have yet to happen. He's too young for an autobiography. Ditto President Obama. How the heck do you write an autobiography and end it before the part where you are the President of The United States? Anybody else read one by a person too young to have written one?

2. List Books - Usually done by well-known authors in their genre when they need to get a nonfiction book out fast and don't have much to say. It's lazy! These would be books like "The 50 Biggest Hypocrites" or the "Ten Best Chefs That Ever Lived." (I just made up those titles to illustrate.

3. Paperback books that fall apart. Pages fall out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 PM

21,358 posts, read 25,380,940 times
Ghost writers. Because they're the real talent who does all the hard work, but all the attention and most of the money go to the celebrity whose name is on the book. So-called "autobiographies" are plagued by this, but it's become rampant in fiction over the past few years as well. James Patterson hasn't written a novel himself in years. Nor has Tom Clancy. Authors like that are the literary equivalent of Milli Vanilli.

I also hate the current trend in covers. I like actual art on the cover, but the rend lately is for a photograph with a generous amount of Photoshop work. Blech.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 PM

12,535 posts, read 14,438,398 times
Writing in the present tense. It's lazy storytelling and I absolutely despise it.

Self-publishing. 99.9% of it is shlock. The remaining .1% is shlock that somehow managed to sell, like 50 Shades of Garbage.

Also, dare I say it? E-readers. I still don't have one and I doubt I will get one anytime soon.

Finally, silverfish. They eat the glue in the bindings. SHOO!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 PM

36,914 posts, read 38,366,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ghost writers. Because they're the real talent who does all the hard work, but all the attention and most of the money go to the celebrity whose name is on the book. So-called "autobiographies" are plagued by this, but it's become rampant in fiction over the past few years as well. James Patterson hasn't written a novel himself in years. Nor has Tom Clancy. Authors like that are the literary equivalent of Milli Vanilli..
I had no idea that this was true in fiction.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,394,553 times
All I can think of at the moment is - I hate loaning books and getting them back to find that person folded down pages to mark their spot. I always use bookmarks and started putting them into loaned out books... didn't always work.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 PM

18,256 posts, read 21,528,844 times
Books with typos.

Books that have obvious inaccuracies regarding things like locations and settings.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 PM

995 posts, read 1,042,268 times
Quote:
Ghost writers. Because they're the real talent who does all the hard work, but all the attention and most of the money go to the celebrity whose name is on the book. So-called "autobiographies" are plagued by this, but it's become rampant in fiction over the past few years as well. James Patterson hasn't written a novel himself in years. Nor has Tom Clancy. Authors like that are the literary equivalent of Milli Vanilli.
I think he still writes the Alex Cross books. Not positive though, and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. They're a far cry from the beginning when each story had some depth to them, and chapters were longer than 3-4 pages.
Years ago, we got ARCs of Patterson's books at the Borders store where I worked, and it came to the point that my husband told me not to bother bringing them home. They were totally free, and he still didn't want to read them.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM

9,238 posts, read 21,739,645 times
Yes, too many famous "authors" have given up writing and just become a "franchise."

I hate when books in a series, or even by the same author come out in different sizes or weird colors. I know, it's a small thing, but here's an example: I have the first 5 books of the Game of thrones series in hardcover. I like to remove the covers, store them in a drawer, and have the "naked" hardcovers on my shelves (they look nicer with my decor). The first 4 books are all black, but the 5th one is either red or white. I forget, because it made me put the covers all back on. But it looked stupid to have the George R R Martin shelf with one odd book.
Then you have paperbacks. I might have a whole collection from one author, like Kurt Vonnegut for example. Almost all the paperbacks are the usual size I guess around 4X7. But then the more recent ones are the new "trade" size: taller and wider, almost like a hardcover size. I'm a little anal about my collections of books, and I can't stand when one or two books stand out like sore thumbs from the rest of their collection.

Hate the typos and misspellings, but we've had lots of threads on that before.

I hate lending and borrowing books. I can't do either. And I don't do libraries. Once I've read a book, I have to own it, and I do go back and re-read books, or just passages I've marked. If someone asks me to borrow a book, I'm more likely to say "I'll just buy you a copy." I hate the anxiety of having books "out there" with other people, wondering if they will ever make it home. Really, buying someone a copy of the book is preferable; for a few bucks, I have no anxiety about my book being "out there" in the world. I also like to read on my own timeframe, and not have to worry about a due-date. (I also don't rent movies for the same reasons).

I generally hate comedy or variety/musings books by famous people. Even if the person is a very funny famous person, the books usually stink. For example, I can watch George Carlin doing stand-up over and over, but his comedy books were a snooze. Ditto for every other comedian I've liked. Conversely, I've never really seen Chelsea Handler, but I read one of her books when sleeping over my sister's house, and it was actually pretty funny. I don't need to own it, or read any of her other books, but it was an enjoyable read for a couple of hours.

I also don't like the people who sneer at the "Dummies" books or "Idiot's Guide to..." books and call them simplistic and stupid. In general, they are really well-done and give a lot of info on a topic in an organized manner. I've read a few "Dummies" books on a topic that were actually better than an academic textbook on the same topic. I do, however, hate the bright yellow and black, or bright orange covers (again, my compulsive thing with how books look on my shelves...)

Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 AM

995 posts, read 1,042,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

I hate lending and borrowing books. I can't do either. And I don't do libraries. Once I've read a book, I have to own it, and I do go back and re-read books, or just passages I've marked. If someone asks me to borrow a book, I'm more likely to say "I'll just buy you a copy." I hate the anxiety of having books "out there" with other people, wondering if they will ever make it home.
One of my all-time favorite scifi/fantasy authors is Lois McMaster Bujold. I have two sets of her books...one is mine mine mine, the other is to loan. But even those, I put a post-it note in asking for lots of book love and a plea for returns so I can loan it out to some other victim...er...unsuspecting fan-to-be.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 AM

12,535 posts, read 14,438,398 times
Quote:

I also hate the current trend in covers. I like actual art on the cover, but the rend lately is for a photograph with a generous amount of Photoshop work. Blech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I had no idea that this was true in fiction.
Unfortunately, it is. I might be wrong, but I don't think Nora Roberts writes all of hers, either, what with the J.D. Robb books on top of all the others. I'd be surprised if Danielle Steel did, too. I haven't read a book by either in 15, 20 years. They all sound the same after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books