U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 AM

2,916 posts, read 4,822,159 times

Advertisements

I am SO sad...my local independent bookstore is closing. I've been a patron of this bookstore for probably 25 years.

I've spent many happy hours (and dollars) at this indie store...I always said it was a good thing I didn't work there because I'd probably spend my entire paycheck on books and magazines. Their staff was so knowledgeable, and any time I needed a book on special order, it arrived within the week.

I'm not terribly surprised. Times are tough for everybody, especially the independents. But still...this was one of my favorite hang-outs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:02 AM

11,446 posts, read 10,463,791 times
That's so sad. In New York, sometimes when a bookstore is teetering on the brink of death, the newspaper will write it up, and the publicity saves it in one way or another. For instance, sometimes the landlord is bullied into reducing the rent.

Just a reminder, people, that every time you buy from Amazon online, you're undermining bookstores.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 PM

577 posts, read 870,695 times
It's tough for bookstores, independents especially. People love to hang out...maybe buy a iced coffee....and then they go home and buy all their books on Amazon. I will actually be surprised if there are any bookstores left in another few years.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 14,026,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
That's so sad. In New York, sometimes when a bookstore is teetering on the brink of death, the newspaper will write it up, and the publicity saves it in one way or another. For instance, sometimes the landlord is bullied into reducing the rent.

Just a reminder, people, that every time you buy from Amazon online, you're undermining bookstores.
I don't think Amazon is the only issue. The recession is still hitting people hard and many just aren't buying books like they used to. I still buy books at indie places at times (especially comic book stores) but just don't have the cash to do so anymore. The last time I bought a book from a bookstore was in January. I don't even buy books online any more and rely mostly on libraries (bought a book online a couple of months ago, but that was b/c I had a gift card balance from a book trade in). I think once people have more money to spend, the good indie bookstores will survive due to better customer service and experience. I know I personally can't use a bookstore as a "showroom" where I check out books in person to buy online-once I get hooked, I can't be bothered to wait even a day for a book to be shipped to me.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 AM

995 posts, read 960,649 times
I closed my store 13 years ago, and I still run into former customers telling me they miss me. It's something I miss terribly, even though I worked at Borders for 8.5 years after that.
I think people are definitely buying fewer books nowadays, and I have noticed that a few lesser authors (ie. non-bestsellers) I used to read haven't been coming out with anything new in a few years.

People not buying books = fewer books purchased by publishers = authors not writing as much and hanging onto their day jobs = fewer books in used bookstores.
I think this will have a sad ending.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM

15,895 posts, read 16,024,507 times
There was a tidy little bookstore in Ft. Worth that I just loved. It had a feel to it that just made me feel good. Plus they had two resident cats named Simon and Schuster.

The first time Harry Potter visited the wand shop in Diagon Alley I felt like I was in that bookstore.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 PM

13,067 posts, read 17,925,798 times
The little independent bookstore in my hometown is still hanging on. While I now live 1000 miles away, I'd be devastated if it closed. I have so many amazing memories of going there as a child and getting book recommendations from the owner. He then began publishing books of short stories written by local authors - I was featured in the children's version a few times and it was a HUGE deal to me at the time. Indie shops capture the imagination in a way that a Barnes and Noble could never dream.

Now I make it a point to only shop at independent bookstores unless I need something very specific (like a textbook - but even a lot of the locals have partnerships with local universities to get new and used books for classes). Half of the fun of the books I buy rather than take out from the library is the story of how I came upon it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 AM

5,141 posts, read 10,549,787 times
There is just one little indie bookstore within a half hour radius here. I think they are hanging on by selling drinks, baked goods and gift items. They sell books too, of course, but I don't think they could survive on that. I hope they can hang in there!

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books