Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,058,327 times

Advertisements

I was wondering because I have to.
If a friend gives me a book and while reading it I realize it is part of a series I have to go out and get the ones before and read them in order?

A few of my friends think I am weird for doing this
So I am coming to the "experts"

karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 04:26 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,945,618 times
Me--I have to read them in order.
When I haven't, I've regretted it.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,237,160 times
Default reading books in order

Me, too. I have to read them in order.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,186,050 times
They tend to make more sense when you read them in order. I hate it when a reference is made to something that happened in a previous book, and I know nothing about it.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM

168 posts, read 761,816 times
when "the world according to garp" by john irving was first released, it hit like a firestorm. a very popular book. a terrifically thorough detailed book about a dynamic character. loved it - hated the movie which could not begin to do it justice.

curious as to who irving was, i backtracked and read most of what he had previously published, and discovered his process - all the same elements and themes of "garp" could be found in his earlier work and it was fascinating to see how he finally pulled it all together in one thundering novel like "garp."

i didn't much like those earlier books of his, but as a process as to how a writer finally writes the book he was meant to write, it was an interesting exercise.

i didn't much like anything else irving wrote after garp, however.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,320,053 times
I prefer to read in order, however, I have read books out of order (not knowingly) and have been able to figure out what's going on...although it's not always easy and again, not really preferable in my opinion.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:16 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,058,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I prefer to read in order, however, I have read books out of order (not knowingly) and have been able to figure out what's going on...although it's not always easy and again, not really preferable in my opinion.
thats when my wallet takes a hit i have to go out and buy all of the previous ones

libraries are not an option for me
Lola likes to "read" to many of my books

karla

Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,661,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florigidge View Post
when "the world according to garp" by john irving was first released, it hit like a firestorm. a very popular book. a terrifically thorough detailed book about a dynamic character. loved it - hated the movie which could not begin to do it justice.

curious as to who irving was, i backtracked and read most of what he had previously published, and discovered his process - all the same elements and themes of "garp" could be found in his earlier work and it was fascinating to see how he finally pulled it all together in one thundering novel like "garp."

i didn't much like those earlier books of his, but as a process as to how a writer finally writes the book he was meant to write, it was an interesting exercise.

i didn't much like anything else irving wrote after garp, however.
I went on a John Irving binge some years ago. I found that his stuff got old, for me, anyway. But I'll bet he's a terrific guy. I'd love to meet him.

I read "The Water Method Man." The only thing I recall about it was the main character's thing with the "saga" written in "Old Low Norse." It turns out that the guy, a professor, is the only person in the world who understands it. So, instead of "translating" the saga, he starts to make everything up!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:32 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,237,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Lola likes to "read" to many of my books

karla
Your post made me laugh. I was given a James Thurber book of short stories by a friend specifically because one of the stories was about a "troublesome" Airedale. My beloved airedale (now gone to his final resting place) shredded that particular story.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I went on a John Irving binge some years ago. I found that his stuff got old, for me, anyway. But I'll bet he's a terrific guy. I'd love to meet him.

I read "The Water Method Man." The only thing I recall about it was the main character's thing with the "saga" written in "Old Low Norse." It turns out that the guy, a professor, is the only person in the world who understands it. So, instead of "translating" the saga, he starts to make everything up!
heh
I remember laughing at The Water Method Man.
I didn't read Irving in order because his books are not a series, though after Garp, I read the old stuff, then things went in order from there.
Cider House Rules is actually one of my favorite books, but the ones since then I did not like as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books