U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 AM

36,505 posts, read 46,893,157 times

Advertisements

I've been on a WWII reading binge lately and this is my favorite so far. I can't relate to the weaponry but the story is great. Only wish my WWII Veteran Dad was still alive to discuss this with me but like so many of that generation he was tight lipped about this war experience.

Any recommendations for books - novels- of a similar nature?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 805 times
Thanks for the kind words. My hope is that this book will preserve the memory of the Greatest Generation.
John E. Nevola - Author of The Last Jump

Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,759,152 times
How cool was THAT?!?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM

6,059 posts, read 7,062,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
How cool was THAT?!?
Pretty cool. Time for YOU to start mentioning Yann Martel, Yann Martel, Yann Martel...over and over again, say what?

There's a something or the other about the Life of Pi in NYC Sept 28 - I just googled and it is the New York Film Festival. You going?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Pretty cool. Time for YOU to start mentioning Yann Martel, Yann Martel, Yann Martel...over and over again, say what?

There's a something or the other about the Life of Pi in NYC Sept 28 - I just googled and it is the New York Film Festival. You going?
OMG! I should, I should! Mention him, I mean. Like in EVERY POST I MAKE!

Yann Martel
Yann Martel
Yann Martel

Hello!

No, I'm not going to see that. I'm not even planning on seeing the movie at all, even when it's local. Waaaaah! now he's never going to message me on City Data.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 AM

6,059 posts, read 7,062,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OMG! I should, I should! Mention him, I mean. Like in EVERY POST I MAKE!

Yann Martel
Yann Martel
Yann Martel

Hello!

No, I'm not going to see that. I'm not even planning on seeing the movie at all, even when it's local. Waaaaah! now he's never going to message me on City Data.
But YANN MARTEL might be there! Yann - you going? Dawn wants to meet you,

Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
But YANN MARTEL might be there! Yann - you going? Dawn wants to meet you,
I don't want to hijack No Kudzu's thread but, suffice to say that if I would go to the movie (which I will not -- I never see the movie of a book that I've read), Jeremy would be coming with me. And then there'd be a duel between Jeremy and Yann, with them fighting over me, both claiming that their love for me is greater than the other's, and it would just be so... EMBARRASSING!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I just made myself laugh out loud!!!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:37 AM

15,895 posts, read 16,033,529 times
If we're talking WWII books then I'll put in a plug for Herman Wouk's Winds of War and War and Remembrance.

Name a theater of operation and Wouk covers it except for CBI. China-Burma-India.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM

15,895 posts, read 16,033,529 times
Oh Wow. I just read about The Last Jump on amazon and immediately downloaded it to my Kindle. This one sounds just fantastic. AND, I don't have to go anywhere to buy it or wait for it to be shipped to me. I have it in my hot little hands and am ready to read.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:09 PM

36,505 posts, read 46,893,157 times
Oh Boy, I just got shivers to read the author of my favorite WWII book responded to my thread. yes that was really COOL. Now I'm a fan for life and a little bit acting like a crazed fan! Just goes to show you EVERYBODY googles themselves.

To those interested in reading this book I suggest you will enjoy it more if you do what I did which is get some maps out to help you follow the action. It might have maps in the "real" book but I read it on my kindle. Also this is not a "boy" book. I'm a woman who has never held a gun in her life but my interest in history and particularly WWII is what led me to read this book.

Last edited by no kudzu; 08-19-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books