Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,894,679 times

Advertisements

How pathetic. Anybody here a fan of this guy?

Crime Writer RJ Ellory Caught Faking Amazon Reviews - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 AM

22,871 posts, read 28,144,422 times
Never heard of him. But this is actually not all that uncommon.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,768,926 times
I see it all the time in self-published stuff (either the writer or what has to be the writer's writing group buddies/close friends), and I've suspected it a time or two in reviews on books published through a major publishing house. Although I usually notice it only in the glowing review, not the negative review.

I guess it's not too surprising that an author would want to tout their own book, but I don't get the point of slamming other authors.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,928,393 times
It sounds like politicians. Y'know, how it's not enough to say "Listen to the GREAT things that I can do for you." They also feel the need to say "Listen to the TERRIBLE things my opponent will lay on you!" Feh!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM

995 posts, read 1,111,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I see it all the time in self-published stuff (either the writer or what has to be the writer's writing group buddies/close friends), and I've suspected it a time or two in reviews on books published through a major publishing house. Although I usually notice it only in the glowing review, not the negative review.

I guess it's not too surprising that an author would want to tout their own book, but I don't get the point of slamming other authors.
I was roaming Amazon last week, spotted a genre fiction book that had many 4-5 star ratings. The reviews people wrote were amazing, so I bought it.
Only after I got it and saw the book itself, did I realize it was self-published and the reviews were very off.
What can I say, I'm between releases from my favorite authors...
I think authors pushing their own titles does happen often, but if they have any scruples, there's no need to pan other books.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I was roaming Amazon last week, spotted a genre fiction book that had many 4-5 star ratings. The reviews people wrote were amazing, so I bought it.
Only after I got it and saw the book itself, did I realize it was self-published and the reviews were very off.
What can I say, I'm between releases from my favorite authors...
I think authors pushing their own titles does happen often, but if they have any scruples, there's no need to pan other books.
Most of my reading is done on my Kindle and I always download the sample for any self-published or vanity press author. In one chapter you can get a pretty good idea of how things are going to go. There may be plot problems after that, but at least you can see what the author's grasp of language and characterization is.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM

sorry, duplicate posting

Last edited by AnneWest; 09-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: duplicate

Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Most of my reading is done on my Kindle and I always download the sample for any self-published or vanity press author. In one chapter you can get a pretty good idea of how things are going to go. There may be plot problems after that, but at least you can see what the author's grasp of language and characterization is.
I don't have a Kindle, or any type of e-reader. I'm a hands-on book person lol.
I should have read the first chapter on-line tho, you're right. Was in a hurry leaving for work and wanted to place the order so I'd get it before the holiday weekend.
I'm probably going to sell it on-line tho, instead of passing it onto my sons or unsuspecting goodwill customers.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 PM

7,259 posts, read 9,255,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I don't have a Kindle, or any type of e-reader. I'm a hands-on book person lol.
I should have read the first chapter on-line tho, you're right. Was in a hurry leaving for work and wanted to place the order so I'd get it before the holiday weekend.
I'm probably going to sell it on-line tho, instead of passing it onto my sons or unsuspecting goodwill customers.
I don't have a Kindle or anything like it either. When I'm browsing on Amazon and come across a writer I've never heard of with many good reviews, I check the publisher - if it is self-published I pass.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't have a Kindle or anything like it either. When I'm browsing on Amazon and come across a writer I've never heard of with many good reviews, I check the publisher - if it is self-published I pass.
Most books that are available on Kindle are available for preview on your PC - look over on the right of the page, and there should be a "Try it free" box that will let you read a sample right then in a pop-up window. It's a bit awkward, but there have been a couple self-published authors that were worth the work. I THINK this might be available to anyone, or it may only be available to people who have set up the "Kindle for PC" service (which is also free and available to people who don't have a Kindle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books