Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember Puppet Storybooks? I had some called My Tiny 3-D Storybooks from Playmore Publishers. I have located a few on Ebay ..does anyone else recall these? I adored them as a little kid, especially the "3D" picture on the cover (which many seem to be missing).

Also, I am looking for (and this is a long shot) a book about a doll that got abandoned in the snow? I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but that's the basic plot- doll gets abandoned out in the elements. This would have probably pre-dated me by a few years as I think I inherited this from one of my aunts, so early 70s? Late 60s?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I kind of remember the 3-D pictures on the covers. Didn't the pictures have small ridges, and you could scratch the picture and make noises? The noise was like a vooop voop vooop like when a person wearing corduroys walks.

I've also been trying to locate books I remember from childhood (I've found a lot!), and I also remember a story about a little doll that got lost, and went through all this stuff, and eventually got found at the end. I think in one scene, the doll fell into the mother's pot of homemade jelly or jam, and the little doll was actually canned, in the glass jam jar. Does that sound familiar?

I had a lot of Golden Books in the 70s, with the metallic gold and black binding. I also had a lot of these little hard square shaped books--This one was my very favorite:
The Pony Who Couldn't Say Neigh: Marjory Schwalje,Stephen Thomas: Amazon.com: Books

Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I kind of remember the 3-D pictures on the covers. Didn't the pictures have small ridges, and you could scratch the picture and make noises? The noise was like a vooop voop vooop like when a person wearing corduroys walks.

I've also been trying to locate books I remember from childhood (I've found a lot!), and I also remember a story about a little doll that got lost, and went through all this stuff, and eventually got found at the end. I think in one scene, the doll fell into the mother's pot of homemade jelly or jam, and the little doll was actually canned, in the glass jam jar. Does that sound familiar?

I had a lot of Golden Books in the 70s, with the metallic gold and black binding. I also had a lot of these little hard square shaped books--This one was my very favorite:
The Pony Who Couldn't Say Neigh: Marjory Schwalje,Stephen Thomas: Amazon.com: Books

Yes! They did have little ridges on the pics! I just loved them.

I don't really remember whether or not the doll was canned. All I can really recall is that she was in the snow with a sad face. Could be though...

Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I wonder if the "lost doll" book was this one:

Sugarplum by Johanna Johnston - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

It was from 1955, WAY before our time, but I'm pretty sure it was an older book back when I read it. It may have beena library book that I didn't own, but maybe checked out a lot. The little doll was always getting lost, outdoors and indoors, and even got sucked up in the vacuum cleaner. The jelly jar thing seems to be from this book.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Hmm..I will check it out. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 AM

289 posts, read 569,982 times
There's one called "The Lost Doll" by Peggy Mann. It was released Jan 1 1972. Not sure if that's the one you looking for but there ya go.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:16 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
One of my earliest memories is that of my parents reading to me. Someone gave me The Golden Book of Bible Stories. It was the size of a coffee table book and had wonderful pictures in it. I loved that book.

I credit the Nancy Drew books with my love of good mysteries. I could not get enough of them. Also, a series about Cherry Ames who was a nurse.

I still remember the cover of Little Black Sambo. I liked the book but the cover made it look like he had been eaten by an elephant.

Then there was the Golden Book of Tootle: The Little Train That Could. I may have the title wrong but I remember the train saying "I think I can. I think I can" when he was trying to get up a hill. I read that one over and over or maybe my folks read it to me.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:25 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
One of my earliest memories is that of my parents reading to me. Someone gave me The Golden Book of Bible Stories. It was the size of a coffee table book and had wonderful pictures in it. I loved that book.
We have that book! I remember having it as a kid and getting it for my own. I still love it!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Those who are looking for books from childhood that they can't quite remember should check out Stump the Bookseller. Browse the archives there and see if your book has already been identified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books