Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Obviously... Jesus...

It's really a matter of conscience.
I see no problem with my conscience choice of buying from small time book sellers online, (even through the larger stores) and saving myself money in the long run.

signed.. internet book seller for a living..

Last edited by pghquest; 10-12-2007 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Loaded question...??? This is the original poster here!!! It wasnt a loaded question in the least. I have to agree with on the road. All I wanted to know is am I the only idiot that spends sometimes 200 bucks a month on books. (Key word sometimes) I am an avid reader and can complete a novel in less than 3 days in most cases if it keeps my interest. I am guilty of walking into Barnes picking up three best sellers and dropping 60 bucks after my discount. I have done this several times in one month at times. I was wondering if there are other options out there. Thats it plain and simple. No consicience involved and all that other stuff. Just a question.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with going into BN and dropping $60 buck for some books, even if you did overpay some. You've received goods in return for money, have helped your local economy and kept someone employed for the day.

While you may have overpaid, you got the books immediately, and nowadays the price for that comes at a premium.. nothing wrong at all.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times
As a man purchasing 6 books a week on average, my choices become economically driven. The local library is available, and certainly cuts into an author's bottom line. However, I am much more inclined to purchase a new book at a bookstore if the author has piqued my interest. Purchasing a new book from an author I have not read before has been disappointing at times. However, I have purchased books that I have already read at the library. Books are NOT a one-time read for me, especially if I own the book. Maybe I should be paying the author for each time I read their book (note sarcasm here!). I read books online at Baen Books, and purchase many of the books that I have read. Baen readily admits the use of a hook enticing readers into purchasing something else the author has written. Purchasing books for me is a matter of economic reality vs. the luxury of purchasing new for every book.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
Sadly even in Oxford, most independent booksellers have disappeared, so If I buy new ( which I rarely do), I tend to buy from Blackwell's and Waterstones but if in a town with a small bookshop I will make a particular effort to buy from them.

I adore second hand bookshops ( there are an excellent couple of them here) and can never leave without a few paperbacks. I have to also admit to buying second-hand books from Amazon as it is so easy and quick.

One of my favourite bookshop is in Milford, New Hampshire "Toadstool" small but perfectly formed and with a perfect selection for me, including used books.
I prefer smaller shops but they seem to get squeezed out of the market by giants such as Barnes and Noble and Borders.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:34 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
I buy books from Amazon, B&N, Costco, Walmart, my book clubs, local used bookstores, yard sales, and get alot for free from a group i belong to. We trade books. I also receive books as gifts and give them as gifts.
There is no way i can afford to buy all my books new, I read 2-3 books a week, and i'd go broke fast. The most ive paid for a book is $25 and the least ive paid besides the free one's were 10cents.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 AM

40 posts, read 30,548 times
I frequent thrift stores and small book stores to find cheap books i got 20 books yesterday for 7.25$ at a small book store...sometimes for my specialty books you have to go to websites such as aryanwear.com and micetrap distributions to get them, the main stream media stores wont carry books that point to a different point of view instead of the sheeple lifestyle they want us to live.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:51 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,148 times
Question trading book groups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I ... get alot for free from a group i belong to. We trade books.
I've tried to start trading book groups a few times, once locally and another on-line, neither worked.

Could you tell me about your group and how it got started?
How many people are involved?

Thank you much!

Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
I wish there were some smaller independent bookstores where I live, but living in the one of the worst educated states in the country there is but one book retailer in my area (Books-a-million). I can't stand that place because it seems like every time I go in there the books are so unorganized it's hard to find what I want. So, I end up going to the next local place which is B&N (about 45 min). One of the best presents I've gotten for Christmas was from my brother who gave me a gift card to B&N. I think I used it in two weeks but it was an excellent gift.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:36 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
I've traded with friends, and reading groups, and even with a CD member.

It thinks me busy, and I get to read more good books by discussing them with friends and acquaintances with similar and dissimilar tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHell View Post
I've tried to start trading book groups a few times, once locally and another on-line, neither worked.

Could you tell me about your group and how it got started?
How many people are involved?

Thank you much!

Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I buy books from Target, Amazon, Borders, and Barnes & Noble. I read romances (so shoot me!), and in fact, just spent $45 yesterday on books. Excuse me, I have to go read now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books