U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 02:43 PM

13,556 posts, read 8,383,082 times

Advertisements

I have a business associate whose mother is housebound, but otherwise quite functional and an avid reader. We're trying to locate a romance novel which was popular when she was attending high school in the early 1950's. The title might have been The Flat Tire, or something similar. We've researched ABE and a couple of other sites with no luck as yet. Could anyone here help us out? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM

17,336 posts, read 28,549,156 times
Hard puzzle! I looked and came up with nothing.

Is it definitely from the 1950s?
It is definitely a romance novel?
Does she possibly remember any distinguishing characteristic about the story or the name of a character?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:38 PM

13,556 posts, read 8,383,082 times
Thanks for the interest and fast response;

My partner's Mom graduated from high school in 1954, and found the book at a library, rather than an off-the shelf purchase; so it's likely a bit easier to find than a mass-market romance novel.

She can't remember any names on short notice; but the plot revolved around a young woman with low self-esteem and a stranger who damaged, then repaired her car.

She is quire certain of the title The Flat Tire; other detals might turn up with a little more jogging of memory. If they do, I'll pass them on, of course, and thanks again.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Could it be The Flat Tire by Alma Sioux Scarberry? It was written in the 1930s but I'm not finding a synopsis of the book; only that it was made into a movie called Hired Wife.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 PM

I found a synopsis for the film, which was made in 1934 (four years after the book).

Hired Wife (1934) - Overview - MSN Movies

There's no mention of a car, but maybe...

Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,866,995 times
Following Dawn's lead, I found that Alma Sioux Scarberry wrote a lot of romance novels in the thirties, here is her biography: SCARBERRY, ALMA SIOUX | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

"In 1929 she began writing romance stories for publication, many of them first serialized in North American, Australian, and British newspapers. Her books, including The Flat Tire, Dimpled Racketeer, Thou Shalt Not Love, Too Wise to Marry, and The Lady Proposes, were first distributed by such companies as Central Press Association, North American Newspaper Alliance, and Ledger Syndicate."

I found "The Flat Tire" in Worldcat, but it's only in three libraries in the U.S.: The flat tire (Book, 1930) [WorldCat.org]

I found three copies for sale through Amazon: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: The Flat Tire

I also found one copy on Ebay currently for sale for $55.00: The Flat Tire Alma Sioux Scarberry Classic RARE Edition | eBay

Then I found a section of the book in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune which you can read online. The summary of the earlier part of the story doesn't sound like the "flat tire" had anything to do with a car, but rather a personality trait. Perhaps you can have your partner's mom read it and see if it seems familiar: Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive Search

I just found another section: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...carberry&hl=en

And another: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...carberry&hl=en

I've found a few more in these newspaper archives, but hope these will suffice.

Last edited by C2ShiningC; 11-13-2012 at 12:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books