Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:55 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

This shoud be fun; I'd like our membership to speculte on what five books -- fiction and/or nonfiction -- you would take with you if you anticipated a prolonged period of isolation. Im going to exclude one work -- the Bible -- on the assumption that everyone possesses some knowledge of it, or that it would be available. Anything else is "fair game".

My Five

One non-fiction - Willam Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways --An "off the beaten track" picture of non-urban America at the time I was also exploring on my own

aand the rest;

East of Eden - John Steibeck The Great American Novel until somebody bests it, which should take some time. So many Biblical paralells, and so many takes on similar themes, that Hollywood will never successfully encapsulate it.

Go Down Moses - Wiilam Faulkner If Steinbeck's magnum opus can be faulted on any point, it's that there are no major black characters; Faulkner's work covers this base

The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay Anorther story for everyone, and set in the overloooked realm of a neutral, but polarized, African country during and after the Second World War

Testimony of Two Men - Taylor Caldwell Partly personal: I found a well-worn copy in a place I'd rented, at a time when I was recovering from a bout with depression -- it helped.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-24-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
What a great idea for a thread! And because I am having so much trouble deciding how to get my list down to five, I am going to violate the guidelines and give two:

1. The Best Poems of the English Language edited and compiled by Harold Bloom. This is 950 pages of Bloom's choices starting with Chaucer and ending with Hart Crane (about 1932). It includes brief biographical sketches of each poet selected and headnotes for the more important poems. It is something to come back to again and again - perfect for that desert island.

2. Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I chose to write the title (The Little Prince) in French because I would have it with me in French. This slender little volume is a masterpiece which is well beloved by both children and adults throughout the French-speaking world. It is a fable, a fantasy, which is also very rich and deep and affecting. (Widely available in English translation, of course).

Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
"The Oxford Book of English Verse" would be first choice - have to think about the other four. Perhaps a complete Shakespeare...and a good book on desert island survival.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"The Oxford Book of English Verse" would be first choice - have to think about the other four. Perhaps a complete Shakespeare...and a good book on desert island survival.
1) Ditto plus
2) Battle Cry by Leon Uris
3) Something very funny such as Terry Pratchett or Christopher Fowler to cheer me up
4) How To S**t in the Woods by Kathleen Meyer (an environmental approach to living in the wild)

Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,581 times
1. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
2. SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea by John Wiseman
3. 1984 by George Orwell
4. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
5. Paradise Lost by John Milton (just because I'd have plenty of time on my hands)

Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Our Crowd - Stephen Birmingham
The Unit - Ninni Holmqvist
The Wall - Marlen Haushofer
The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Alex Haley

Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Dune - Frank Herbert
In A Sunburned Country - Bill Bryson
The Silkie - A.E. Van Vogt
The Bible
Moby Dick - I'd probably end up using it to start a fire, but for years I've tried for the patience to finish it

Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,188 times
For avid readers, this is a very tough one!
I'll avoid using compilations or collected works:
Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakhov
Istanbul - Orhan Pamuk
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
A tough one. I only know for sure, the Bible. And I'd want some kind of book on surviving, a poetry anthology and maybe a Dostoevsky and some North American book to remind me of home.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
1) The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques - by Department of the Army (I picked it because of the "ultimate" in the title. )

"Drawing from dozens of the U.S. Army’s official field manuals, editor Jay McCullough has culled a thousand pages of the most useful and curious tidbits for the would-be soldier, historian, movie-maker, writer, or survivalist—including techniques on first aid; survival in the hottest or coldest of climates; finding or building life-saving shelters; surviving nuclear, biological, and chemical attacks; physical and mental fitness, and how to find food and water anywhere, anytime. With hundreds of photographs and illustrations showing everything from edible plants to rare skin diseases of the jungle, every page reveals how useful Army knowledge can be."

Amazon.com: Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills: Books

But, I guess the Navy is going to have to show me how to build a boat, sooo...

2) The U.S. Navy SEAL Survival Handbook: Learn the Survival Techniques and Strategies of America's Elite Warriors

3) The Complete Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe

4) 1984 - George Orwell

5) Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books