Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend some good adventure stories from the middle-east? I love Arabian style action and adventure stories, but while there's plenty of movie fare to feed my interest, I'm coming up short in the book department. Google doesn't seem very good at helping find such specific book types!

Give me my dashing Arabs and Bedouins and their veiled princesses and treasures of gold!

Thanks for reading and thanks for any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend some good adventure stories from the middle-east? I love Arabian style action and adventure stories, but while there's plenty of movie fare to feed my interest, I'm coming up short in the book department. Google doesn't seem very good at helping find such specific book types!

Give me my dashing Arabs and Bedouins and their veiled princesses and treasures of gold!

Thanks for reading and thanks for any recommendations!

Back in the 1920 and 30s was a writer named William B. Seabrook, who wrote popular books on the Middle East (my grandmother had his books; I have them now, somewhere).

Looking on Amazon I see one title by Seabrook, "Adventures in Arabia: Among the Bedouins, Among the Druses, Among the Dervishes, Among the Yezidees".

I also see that the sellers on Amazon want quite a bit of money for the hardback edition. I may have to dig my copy up.

Look for his books in used book stores. I bet you can find some by him. Or Ebay.

There was another writer named Morton (I cannot recall more, although I think he used his initials). He was a Christian who travelled the Middle East a lot back in that same period. I believe one of his books was called "In the footsteps of the Master" or such. Anyway, it is my understanding that they are also a 'travel' book, focusing on those areas that Jesus knew. I believe he also reported 'adventures'.

Note that back in those days, people did not want a simple travel book: they demanded that the author have 'adventures' in his (or her) travels.

I will add, for free, that the 1930s books by Richard Halliburton are marvelous. Richard was a young man who loved to travel, and his books (Seven League Boots, for one) are funny books, involving adventures that Richard may, or may not, have engaged in (some back then doubted he did all he said he did).

He died in 1938 or so. He left San Francisco in a "Chinese Junk", intending to sail it to China. He was never heard from again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books