Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times

Advertisements

Anyone else read this series of books? It is an urban fantasy series that follows the adventures of a Wizard operating in current day Chicago. It's very well done.

The latest book came out Tuesday which is the 14th in the series and I just finished it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Anyone else read this series of books? It is an urban fantasy series that follows the adventures of a Wizard operating in current day Chicago. It's very well done.

The latest book came out Tuesday which is the 14th in the series and I just finished it.
I just checked it out of the library. I first saw the Dresden Files on Hulu and one of the comments mentioned it was from a series and the books were much better than the show. Wow, were they right. I had the joy of discovering an author and a series I really liked.

This isn't my normal reading fare. I like Brad Thor, Lee Child, James Lee Burke, Daniel Silva...I'd never even heard of Urban Fantasy.

I like Harry Dresden and the craziness of his life. This isn't a sword and sorcery epic on a far away planet, this goes on in Chicago and he has regular problems along with odder ones. I recommend this series to anyone who likes the above authors and wants to try something a little different. But start with Storm Front and go with the series - it's very rewarding. If you just jump into his latest book you'll miss a lot of background history.

Dresden Files » Jim Butcher | Jim Butcher

Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I was intrigued by y'all's remarks about The Dresden Files and started reading the first in the series yesterday. I'm not far into it yet but I like it so far. Harry is quite the character. What a sense of humor. He reminds me a lot of Robert B. Parker's Spenser.

I think I might have just started reading a great series of books and I appreciate getting the lead from you folks. Thank you.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
I have to jump from genre to genre in my reading, that is how I discovered, Harry Dresden. I have enjoyed this series, it hooked me from the beginning.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I was intrigued by y'all's remarks about The Dresden Files and started reading the first in the series yesterday. I'm not far into it yet but I like it so far. Harry is quite the character. What a sense of humor. He reminds me a lot of Robert B. Parker's Spenser.

I think I might have just started reading a great series of books and I appreciate getting the lead from you folks. Thank you.
It is a fantatic series. The series starts a little slow and it will appear to be individualized stories but once you get through the third book you will realize that it is building to something amazing with an overall story arc. You will grow to love all the characters and the world Butcher has created. He includes just about every fantasy and supernatural creature at some point and goes into detail about how they operate and their actual nations. It is incredible how much detail he has put into building the Dresden world. He also has several Dresden Short Stories that take place between the books, some of them serious and some of them pure comedy.

If you like audiobooks, I strongly recommend checking those out. James Marsters who played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer does them and he has different voices for all the characters and actually acts out the story. I have both read and listened to every book in the series. They are about the only audiobooks that I have really enjoyed.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I attempted to read this series on the recommendation of a friend, but after the first few books it just seemed so repetitive, simplistic, and predictable. I got as far as Death Masks and had no desire to keep going.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I attempted to read this series on the recommendation of a friend, but after the first few books it just seemed so repetitive, simplistic, and predictable. I got as far as Death Masks and had no desire to keep going.
Repetitive? Simplistic? Predictable? Those are the last three words I would use to describe this series. How can you use simplistic to describe the world Butcher has created. It is so detailed and deep that there are entire websites devoted to keeping track of everything. Things that happened in the first book will connect to something that happens in the 10th and it is continually like that throughout the whole thing. Butcher has planned this entire story out and it is definitely not predictable.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2
Repetitive? Simplistic? Predictable? Those are the last three words I would use to describe this series. How can you use simplistic to describe the world Butcher has created. It is so detailed and deep that there are entire websites devoted to keeping track of everything. Things that happened in the first book will connect to something that happens in the 10th and it is continually like that throughout the whole thing. Butcher has planned this entire story out and it is definitely not predictable.
In each installment that I read (as I said, up to Death Masks), the ending was predictable (to me) long before I was done with the book. There were no surprises, no twists. Each book sounded a lot like the previous book. In my opinion it is unsophisticated, like something aimed at a young adult reader. The female characters were more like caricatures than believable people, and the sex scenes were so awkward that they made me cringe. I did indeed find it to be repetitive, simplistic, and predictable.

Of course, everyone has a different opinion. Obviously, you really enjoyed it and so do many others, and that's great. But me, personally, I did not.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I read the first Dresden book. I found it good, but not great. Fun story and world. But the main character's constant, unrelenting snark got on my nerves after a while.

I finished the first book, but I didn't enjoy it enough to want to read the second.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I read the first Dresden book. I found it good, but not great. Fun story and world. But the main character's constant, unrelenting snark got on my nerves after a while.
His first book was not my favorite, but I kept reading because I liked the televisions series so much, and I was pleasantly rewarded. Every subsequent book has Jim Butcher growing as an author and his stories more complex and detailed and entertaining.

Yeah, Harry Dresden is an angry smartass P.I., but you would be too if you were having trouble making the rent, driving a crappy car and having all manners of creatures trying to kill you or seduce you or eat you.

Does anyone know of a series of a similar nature in the Urban Fantasy genre? I've read most of the Nightside series by Simon R. Green Books | Simon R Green but it's totally different from Dresden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books