Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else read this book when it came out, before watching the film? What did you think of the way that they adapted the book to the film?

Personally, I was really impressed. Obviously, there is so much more in the book that they just did not have room to include in a four hour mini-series. But what they did do was pretty accurate, I felt.

I was particularly impressed by the visuals. The locations, the actors. They all resembled the way that I had pictured things in the novel. Especially the creek area and the outdoor scenes with the kids. I just can't believe still that they captured the feeling so well.

Discuss what you think of these things. Or anything else related to the book.

(By the way, I started this thread here rather than in Movies because I wanted to hear the opinions of those who had read the novel.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Ironically, I just finished reading the book for the first time yesterday. Haven't seen the miniseries and don't plan to, as I enjoyed the book tremendously and don't want to ruin my memories of it. Although I am an avid reader, I just discovered Stephen King last year and didn't realize what I was missing. The thing that I enjoyed most about "It" was the characters, along with the sense of nostalgia in remembering the camaraderie of childhood friendships. I will miss Bill, Ben, Beverly, and all the other characters!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I think it is my 3rd fav of his books. The Stand is the best, IMO. 'Salem's Lot is number 2 with It a very close third.

It scared the daylights out of me. The pure evil of "It" was hard for me to deal with. I was crazy about all the kids and the adults they became. I suppose I identified with Bill. Not sure why.

All the horror of Georgie had me nearly hiding under my desk and when the photos came alive in the photo album I felt like I was right there with them.

King writes a lot about kids and I'm sure he draws from his childhood to flesh out the characters. I'm one year older than he is so the kids in his memory are like the kids in mine. They sing the same songs and watch the same TV shows. His short story "The Body" which was made into a movie titled "Stand By Me" is representative of the kids in his books. I think it is one of his finest stories.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Apparently I'm going to have to read that book again because I read it when it first came out and couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Default They All Float

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I think it is my 3rd fav of his books. The Stand is the best, IMO. 'Salem's Lot is number 2 with It a very close third.

It scared the daylights out of me. The pure evil of "It" was hard for me to deal with. I was crazy about all the kids and the adults they became. I suppose I identified with Bill. Not sure why.
I almost there with you. Salem's Lot was my favorite, followed by The Stand and It.

It was a perfect creepy book, and brought back memories of being a kid and walking by iron sewer grates and wondering if there was anything in there.

And I loved the movie -

Stephen king's - IT - YouTube

Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I almost there with you. Salem's Lot was my favorite, followed by The Stand and It.

It was a perfect creepy book, and brought back memories of being a kid and walking by iron sewer grates and wondering if there was anything in there.

And I loved the movie -

Stephen king's - IT - YouTube
Pennywise the Clown. I've always been a bit scared of clowns and more so after I saw "Killer Klowns from Outer Space." LOL

"Come on down, Georgie. We float. We really float." Ah, that's why I liked Bill so much. He always carried around that guilt.

I think it was in the midst of a King reading binge that I took a side road and read The Mephisto Waltz. That one scared me, too, but I could not put it down. I don't remember who wrote it and I'm too lazy to look it up. yawn......heeheehee

Another one of his that really scared me was Cell. Yikes!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
There are parts of IT that are quite good. But the whole isn't very good at all. Parts of the story are horribly written (I get the impression this was written during the height of King's substance abuse). We get long background stories (page after page after page) on characters that don't matter to the story. Pivotal scenes are glossed over. The bad guy is horrid in a grotesque way but often so absurd (Michael Landon werewolf? Paul Bunyan statue?) that rather being scary, It just comes across as silly.

The kids are likeable, but when they grow up, not so much. Mike and Ben as adults are still likeable. But the others range from just annoying to downright unsympathetic.

There's a great story somewhere in IT, and I think King later found it, in a book called Dreamcatcher. Similar themes, but a far superior novel in every way.

I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie version of IT. Wasn't terribly impressed with what I saw, but maybe I just caught the bad parts.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There are parts of IT that are quite good. But the whole isn't very good at all. Parts of the story are horribly written (I get the impression this was written during the height of King's substance abuse). We get long background stories (page after page after page) on characters that don't matter to the story. Pivotal scenes are glossed over. The bad guy is horrid in a grotesque way but often so absurd (Michael Landon werewolf? Paul Bunyan statue?) that rather being scary, It just comes across as silly.

The kids are likeable, but when they grow up, not so much. Mike and Ben as adults are still likeable. But the others range from just annoying to downright unsympathetic.

There's a great story somewhere in IT, and I think King later found it, in a book called Dreamcatcher. Similar themes, but a far superior novel in every way.

I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie version of IT. Wasn't terribly impressed with what I saw, but maybe I just caught the bad parts.
Yes, what you said. I got the hardback right after it came out. Parts were splendid, typical terrifying and creepy Stephen King, but parts were pedestrian and almost unreadable. I don't even remember if I finished the thing to tell you the truth.

I have not seen the movie.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
I actually liked the history and back story as much, if not more, than the character driven bits. Almost all of the characters and their history felt very real to me. More so than anything else King has written. As others have mentioned, it was very easy to see a reflection of myself and my childhood friends in the story.

But the stories of the Black Spot...the man who murdered an entire inn...the boy who killed his baby brother out of jealously...all of those 'side stories' are the parts I return to reread. They work together to really give a feel for the town. It isn't just the story of these children- it's a story that has spanned centuries, and those children are just the closing chapter.

The movie I loved when I was young. Rewatching it several years ago, I find the acting laughably bad. But when I was a kid- man, I fought taking a bath for MONTHS. It was quick in and out showers with mom stationed near the bathroom door so she could rescue me before the clown ate me.

Dreamcatcher I couldn't finish. Hated every last character in it. Could have cared less what happened to any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books